Page 1 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Fos11
Toucan
Toucan

20 Dec 2018, 3:58 am

How do you not end up homeless if you are autistic, and not able to work? If there is no safety net, and if your family won't take care flrever of you? In many countries it is hard if not impossible to get disability benefits if you have autism. So i assume there are many homeless autists, right? My question is, how does an autist not end up on the streets? Especially in a third world country? Do you personally fear ending up on the streets? Are you currently on disability benefits, or are you able to work?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2018, 7:43 am

By not pissing off your parents too much...and helping out around the house a little.

Piobaire
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2018, 8:14 am

Never vote for anyone who opposes raising the minimum wage and attacks unions, Food Stamps, Section 8 housing subsidies, Social Security, SSDI, Medicare and Medicaid.
Vote those who support the people, not the oligarchs.

Fos11
Toucan
Toucan

20 Dec 2018, 9:43 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
By not pissing off your parents too much...and helping out around the house a little.
But they cant take care forever of me right?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2018, 10:01 am

No, they can't.

But they can take care of you for a long time after you're 18, if you make it worth their while.

lostproperty
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2018, 10:08 am

Fos11 wrote:
But they cant take care forever of me right?

I can't believe they'd kick you out if they know that you're autistic and that you'd struggle to cope on your own. Forgive me if I've mixed you up with somebody else, but wasn't it you that said you were gay. Have you come out to them yet? Is that what you're worried about, that they'll ask you to leave home because you're gay?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2018, 10:15 am

I don't mean you always have to kiss their butt.

But you should make yourself useful in some way.

Like don't just hang around the house all day doing nothing.

Fos11
Toucan
Toucan

20 Dec 2018, 11:23 am

Dont you understand that i can not live forever with my parents? It does not matter if im usefull or not, because im still a burden financially.

Last edited by Fos11 on 20 Dec 2018, 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2018, 11:32 am

How old are your parents? You're 19. They might be in their 40s. They might be able to support you for a while. They might not like it---so it's better to make yourself useful in some way, so they'll dislike it less.

You have time to mature. Even autistic people don't remain the same at 19. They grow up, too. Maybe you could get become mature enough to get a job that would help with the finances in your home. Or maybe you could even get a job that will pay for you being on your own.

I don't know your family's financial situation. But I would say, in most cases, they would allow you to stay living with them, provided you don't just lie around all day doing nothing. Provided that you try to better yourself by going to some sort of postsecondary institution, or trying to get a job. Or at least helping out with the household chores.

Fos11
Toucan
Toucan

20 Dec 2018, 11:38 am

The problem is there are simply no jobs for autistic people.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2018, 11:41 am

I can't tell you for certain that you cannot get a job if you're autistic----because I don't know what country you're in.

I can't tell you whether it would be easy for you to get benefits---for the above reason.

I can't tell you if there's a provision that everybody get housing---for the above reason.

I can understand your concern about being homeless.

But as long as you respect your parents, you should probably be okay for now.

Fos11
Toucan
Toucan

20 Dec 2018, 12:48 pm

Ok i live in Switzerland, yes there is fortunately a safety net, but it would be hard to get disability benefits.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2018, 12:51 pm

But you can get a home...

Sort of like in the U.K.

You would more likely be homeless if you lived in the US.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2018, 1:21 pm

I understand your worry. I get worried about being homeless, I don't know how homeless people cope. I'm not the sort to poison my body with drugs and alcohol, so I don't know how else I would survive out in the cold all night and all day. Also I get scared of the streets, I can't cope with crowds, judgmental strangers, teenagers and drug-dealers. I'm more of a reserved, homely, quiet, timid, mentally stable kind of person. By mentally stable I mean I'm not the sort to get mixed up with the wrong sort of people and cause trouble. I prefer security, love, health and predictability.

I don't know how financial things work in other countries like Switzerland, but in the UK I think you get help if you work part time and live in council. I'm never going to buy my own place unless I win lots of money, because if you lose your job and can't afford to pay the mortgage, you can get thrown out without no help.

That's why I vote labour at every election. Labour might be mixed up and dumb, but they do try to help the poor/working class. I was on unemployment benefit when labour was running the country, and it was much easier, then as soon as Tories got in, everything changed and the unemployed got treated like s**t. It noticed overnight.

Fos11
Toucan
Toucan

20 Dec 2018, 1:47 pm

Switzerland has a Welfare System.

quite an extreme
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2018, 5:13 pm

Fos11 wrote:
How do you not end up homeless if you are autistic, and not able to work? If there is no safety net, and if your family won't take care flrever of you?

Just don't hang around only and try to learn something usefull that you can use someday to live from it. It's the best that you can do now.