Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

TiredMom
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

31 Dec 2018, 10:53 am

My adult autistic daughter was confined to a psychiatric unit one month ago for suicidal ideation and self-harm, caused by the stress of her senior year at college.
The psychiatrist and nurses admit they know nothing about autism. They also don't really believe she's autistic because she doesn't "look" autistic. (She's been diagnosed 3 times, starting at age 3). She hates it in the unit--she is scared most of the time, she is hungry most of the time, she is sleep deprived--and the staff are unsympathetic/hostile.
During the time she's been on the unit, she has become less rather than more compliant (good for her!). Unfortunately she is also self-injuring more and more, and the psychiatrist and staff claim she's doing it to get attention. After she scratched herself last night, they took away everything we had given her to help her cope--a little stuffed animal, pictures of her own dog at home, etc. So now she's completely in despair, and we're worried that she may try to harm a staff member (she never hurts anyone normally, but she's in tremendous emotional and physical pain) and then she'll never get out.
We desperately need something to make it clear to the staff on this unit that THEY and the physical layout of the unit (no natural light at all, fluorescents everywhere, etc.) are causing her distress and self-harm, and that she won't get better as long as she's there (we have been begging for a transfer to the hospital where her own psychiatrist--someone she trusts--works, but they won't do it). Your personal stories would help, but if anyone out there knows of research on this subject, it would be even better.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2018, 11:01 am

TiredMom wrote:
My adult autistic daughter was confined to a psychiatric unit one month ago for suicidal ideation and self-harm, caused by the stress of her senior year at college.
The psychiatrist and nurses admit they know nothing about autism. They also don't really believe she's autistic because she doesn't "look" autistic. (She's been diagnosed 3 times, starting at age 3). She hates it in the unit--she is scared most of the time, she is hungry most of the time, she is sleep deprived--and the staff are unsympathetic/hostile.
During the time she's been on the unit, she has become less rather than more compliant (good for her!). Unfortunately she is also self-injuring more and more, and the psychiatrist and staff claim she's doing it to get attention. After she scratched herself last night, they took away everything we had given her to help her cope--a little stuffed animal, pictures of her own dog at home, etc. So now she's completely in despair, and we're worried that she may try to harm a staff member (she never hurts anyone normally, but she's in tremendous emotional and physical pain) and then she'll never get out.
We desperately need something to make it clear to the staff on this unit that THEY and the physical layout of the unit (no natural light at all, fluorescents everywhere, etc.) are causing her distress and self-harm, and that she won't get better as long as she's there (we have been begging for a transfer to the hospital where her own psychiatrist--someone she trusts--works, but they won't do it). Your personal stories would help, but if anyone out there knows of research on this subject, it would be even better.
You need a lawyer -- once medicos have made up their minds, only the treat of law will force them to act correctly.

TiredMom
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

31 Dec 2018, 11:13 am

We have a lawyer, for the involuntry commitment to a state hospital hearing, which is coming up in three days. Should we get another one, to threaten a lawsuit?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2018, 11:15 am

To have someone as your advocate.

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2018, 12:27 pm

Take the story to the press.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2018, 12:37 pm

TiredMom wrote:
We have a lawyer, for the involuntary commitment to a state hospital hearing, which is coming up in three days. Should we get another one, to threaten a lawsuit?
You have the one lawyer. This is good. Make sure that this lawyer knows that your lawyer knows that you expect him or her to earn their pay -- that you expect your lawyer to get your child out of that hospital, even if it means placing her in another one (a better one, of course).

If you want to retain another lawyer, be sure to "accidentally" let it slip that the other lawyer is there to handle any criminal proceedings that may be discovered from the civil proceedings you are undertaking.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2018, 1:46 pm

I want to hear more about "they won't do it." If there is another hospital qualified and willing to take your daughter, the first hospital really has no say in the matter. If the hospital where your daughter's psychiatrist works has no adequate psych ward, for instance no isolation rooms for self-harm patients, the present hospital might be legally liable if they discharged to an inadequate facility.

You need to discuss your desire for a transfer with the present hospital and if you get a "no," move up the chain of command all the way to medical director (kind of the top dog).

It's possible the present hospital is hanging on to your daughter to milk her insurance and once it's used up, they'll decide they can then release her. This is unethical, but it happens all the time. This is where a lawyer comes in, but I would try assertively moving up the chain of command first.

Make sure you are visiting your daughter and discussing her wishes so that you can act on her behalf.

Good luck. It sounds awful, but your family can get through this.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2018, 1:48 pm

Prometheus18 wrote:

Sure, do that, if you want to embarrass your daughter to death.

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2018, 1:58 pm

BeaArthur wrote:
Prometheus18 wrote:

Sure, do that, if you want to embarrass your daughter to death.

Bad publicity is the only thing these people understand. It's better than what's happening to her at present. You're lucky to live in the US where such protections are available; in the UK, releasing information in a case like this to the press, even with the patient's informed consent, is illegal under the Draconian and laughable excuse of "safeguarding". Nothing to do with giving fat cat private healthcare executives impunity.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2018, 8:40 pm

Once a person has been committed involuntarily, control of their lives pretty much is at the discretion of the treating psychiatrist in the facility. There is some court oversight, but mostly the judges order what the facility psychiatrist recommends.

If the person has health insurance, and the facility may keep the patient until the insurance runs out.

In my state, the laws are draconian.

You need a lawyer who knows commitment law and you need to fight hard.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2019, 5:23 am

I am very sorry if this is a stupid question. I'm from the UK and our system is completely different.

What would happen if you stop paying your daughters insurance. Would the insurance company stop paying the

hospital and they release her?

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

02 Jan 2019, 5:30 am

You're right about that psychiatrist knowing nothing, what do they reach them if they are so unqualified to work with people with autism?

What gives them the right to take her comfort objects away?

I feel for you, and hope your lawyer can do something to end this.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2019, 8:17 pm

Your lawyer may need to go directly to the hospital's legal head and deal with the issue there. She needs to be released ASAP. The suicidal ideation can be dealt with but she has to get out of that environment. She will not be able to heal from her issues there at all.

Wreck It Ralph

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2019, 9:42 pm

skibum wrote:
Your lawyer may need to go directly to the hospital's legal head and deal with the issue there. She needs to be released ASAP. The suicidal ideation can be dealt with but she has to get out of that environment. She will not be able to heal from her issues there at all.

This is exactly correct. Only it works better if you have a lawyer.

US insurance laws are also draconian. Even if it 'worked' to quit paying, you couldn't get your insurance back AND you may lose coverage for all pre-existing conditions. The latter situation is currently in legal turmoil now.

The draconian involuntary commitment laws are real and create nightmares for parents. Even a minor child who acts up at school can be taken by law enforcement to a facility for assessment and commitment WITHOUT PARENTAL KNOWLEDGE OR PERMISSION. It is one of the most flagrant violations of civil rights and due process.