Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2019, 4:30 pm

I was dxd with mental retardation at 3 but with further assessments they dxd me with autism at 4 but I was nonverbal completely until i was 7 then I began to say some words but at a 2y/o level.
I never had one meltdown or tantrum as a toddler and as a child , if I didnt like a loud noise I just calmly put my hands over my ears
and if I didnt want to do something like get dressed I never cried or screamed I would just squirm til my mum got me into my clothes but I usualy preferred to be just in pants
the only time i cried was when i hurt myself

The only difficult thing about me was I had to be watched all the time cos I didnt have any sense of danger i would just wonder off or touch things i shouldnt etc
I even had a special bed made to stop me escaping in the night but it was only for my safety

As a adult im more high functioning I am married an work as a bus driver I am good at talking to passengers and i can be bossy and authoritive im not timid at all in any way
and I enjoy my job i like busses but i hate when passengers or other bus drivers try to make friends with me
I dont want friends why dont people understand that?

warrier120
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2019, 6:51 pm

I was diagnosed as moderately autistic (or level 2 ASD under the DSM-5) when I was 3. Now, I would fit the description of a mildly autistic or level 1 autistic person.

My main struggles are from comorbid conditions. I have anxiety, panic disorder, and clinical depression. The anxiety comes in the forms of GAD and social anxiety, the latter of which affects me more. I became depressed following a fairly recent rejection from someone I actually had hope in becoming friends with. During that time, I would just cry quietly at seemingly random times, sometimes at home and sometimes at school.

AceofPens
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Jan 2019, 10:40 am

How far into the spectrum do you believe yourself to be?

I have level 1 autism. My doctor said I would've been diagnosed with Aspergers if the label was still in use where I live. I'm on the lower end of high-functioning, though. Maybe that's just the result of not receiving therapy as a kid, but my problems tend to be worse than most high-functioning autistics, perhaps also due to comorbid disorders.

What unique challenges (and perks) has being on the spectrum given you?

My level of independence has always been below the typical standard for my age. I was unable to attend mainstream school, in part because of a learning disorder but mostly because I couldn't handle the sensory environment. I've never been able to foster lasting friendships with my peers, and I struggle to hold conversations properly. As far as perks go, autism has done me no favors.

What do you do to face those challenges and discover the perks?

I'm in therapy to work on my weaknesses, and in areas where I'm improving very slowly, I try to find workarounds and compensate by using my strengths when I can.

Can people tell that you have autism?

I'm not sure how I'd be able to tell if they did assume. People do soften their voice when they speak to me most of the time, but they don't necessarily think I have autism. I imagine that what they assume depends on what setting they encounter me in. Doctors thought I had ADHD as a kid, so I guess I did look "quirky" when I was young. And there were rumors among my social group that I had anorexia, because I wouldn't eat foods of certain a color and texture. I don't know that people often assume autism specifically, though.

How do you typically interact with other people on the spectrum?

Offline, most of the guys I encounter on the spectrum are at my church, but we've never done more than nod or wave at each other. Online, I can see no difference between how autistics and NTs interact. I use the same rules and methods with both.

Pyromanic
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Jan 2019, 1:40 pm

AceofPens wrote:

I have level 1 autism. My doctor said I would've been diagnosed with Aspergers if the label was still in use where I live. I'm on the lower end of high-functioning, though. Maybe that's just the result of not receiving therapy as a kid, but my problems tend to be worse than most high-functioning autistics, perhaps also due to comorbid disorders.

My level of independence has always been below the typical standard for my age. I was unable to attend mainstream school, in part because of a learning disorder but mostly because I couldn't handle the sensory environment. I've never been able to foster lasting friendships with my peers, and I struggle to hold conversations properly. As far as perks go, autism has done me no favors.

I'm in therapy to work on my weaknesses, and in areas where I'm improving very slowly, I try to find workarounds and compensate by using my strengths when I can.

I'm not sure how I'd be able to tell if they did assume. People do soften their voice when they speak to me most of the time, but they don't necessarily think I have autism. I imagine that what they assume depends on what setting they encounter me in. Doctors thought I had ADHD as a kid, so I guess I did look "quirky" when I was young. And there were rumors among my social group that I had anorexia, because I wouldn't eat foods of certain a color and texture. I don't know that people often assume autism specifically, though.

Offline, most of the guys I encounter on the spectrum are at my church, but we've never done more than nod or wave at each other. Online, I can see no difference between how autistics and NTs interact. I use the same rules and methods with both.

I appreciate the formatting of this response.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2019, 2:59 pm

Quote:

I'm high-functioning and was diagnosed with Asperger's. Sometimes I doubt my diagnosis and think my challenges are due to ADHD and anxiety disorder.

Quote:

I think becoming easily overwhelmed/anxious at things others don't understand, and it can be frustrating to not be understood and just told to "get over it". I'm prone to panic attacks and getting flustered, which makes me avoidant of certain things like busy public places (exposure to these things don't help me get over them). Being on meds helps with depression and low self-esteem issues, not so much with anxiety or panic.
Disorganisation and inattentive issues can cause issues too, even if I write things down I still get confused.

Quote:

Just live day by day
Talking to people how I feel
Coming on to WP to share my thoughts, feelings and experiences
Having hobbies to occupy me from anxieties

Quote:

No. I don't display enough stereotypical traits to make it obvious to other people, in fact I don't display many traits at all. My Asperger's is very complex

Quote:

Just like I do with NTs or other NDs really

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2019, 7:14 pm

So my question to you all is, how far into the autism spectrum do you believe yourself to be?

Mild because I'm independent.

What unique challenges (and perks) has being on the autism spectrum given you, and what do you do to face those challenges and discover the perks?

I was blind to how socially inadequate I was and didn't know how important it was to be social.
I was born in the 1940's and didn't know why I was different and didn't try to mimic other people.

I was withdrawn and didn't talk very much or communicate well.
I've had a few friends in childhood and adulthood but always only one at a time and I never initiate friendships.
I've always expected other people to make friends with me.

I have constant stereotypies (rhythmic stimming) but didn't always know it looked weird.
I talk quietly to myself and repeat things I read or hear but I wasn't always aware of it.
Eye contact was something I was told to do on job interviews but i'd forget to do it anyway.
I didn't know how important eye contact is.
I didn't know why I always felt uncomfortable or why other kids made fun of me.

I'm not good at expressing myself in writing. It takes me a very long time to write a post.
I'm stupid when it comes to knowledge of worldly things.
I have a bad rote memory and it's difficult to memorize things
I have a poor vocabulary and meanings don't stick with me even if I look them up.
I did poorly in school.

In spite of all that, I can be very logical and creative. That's my perc.

Can people easily tell if you have autism, or do you have to tell them?

I don't tell anyone, but other people have thought that I am.

I'm just myself with everyone.
I typically don't interact with very many people and don't know their neurology.