Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

graceksjp
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2019, 11:41 am

Im sure you've all heard of a fidget spinner. They were the biggest craze of 2017 and practically every kid owned one. Fidget spinners were actually intended for ADD and ADHD kids to help them focus better in class. They instead became a trendy toy for everyone to enjoy. And its not the only stim toy to have done so. Tangle Toys, Fidget Cubes, Thinking Putty, those squishy animals, and even the little pea pods. I can name SEVERAL perfectly normal NT kids who own one or several of these items. Because they're simply fun little toys to them. In my high school, Tangle Toys and Fidget Cubes were almost as popular as Fidget Spinners. Because of this, ALL THREE THINGS were banned from the classroom. You'd get it taken away- just like having your phone out. Unfortunately, the kids those toys were actually intended for are no longer able to get the benefits of using them.

Do you think 'fads' are a good thing? On one hand, by making it a mainstream item it made it so that kids with actual problems didnt stand out and werent looked down upon for needing one. On the other hand, making them a trendy item took away from their initial purpose.
Do you think stim toys are a good thing? Do you think they are helpful? Do they have any place in a classroom, or are they just a distraction? Both for the kid using it and the other kids around them.
Do you think its fair for schools to ban the use of them in the classroom? Should kids with ADD and ADHD specifically be allowed to use them or should all kids be treated equal?

Northeastern292
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2019, 9:52 pm

I never had a fidgit spinner but I got a fidgit toy that I have since misplaced. My girlfriend is in the process of getting me new stim toys, since she's concerned.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

12 Jan 2019, 3:59 am

I heard fidget spinners have high levels of lead in them & handling that much lead regularly can lead to lead poisoning which can make mental issues worse.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2019, 4:38 am

...I had a couple.

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2019, 5:19 am

nick007 wrote:
I heard fidget spinners have high levels of lead in them & handling that much lead regularly can lead to lead poisoning which can make mental issues worse.

Why would they have lead in them?

Even if they do it’s have to be exposed lead you touch directly.

AceofPens
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Jan 2019, 12:20 pm

Most of the stim toys that aren't mainstream yet are pretty expensive and hard to find, so I'd say that the fads have helped some of us have better access to them. Overall, I don't think there's any harm in the general population enjoying them. They are just toys, more or less. The only real difference is in who uses them and how much they rely on them - the same distinction between pets and emotional support animals. In that sense, they should be allowed in areas where they would normally be banned, recognized as a valid coping tool for those who need them. They probably don't belong in the hands of students who don't need them during class, who can and should give their full attention to the lesson. Then again, that might cause resentment towards the privileged students. Anyway, it is just a fad. It will pass quickly, as they all do, and then the rest of us will be the weirdos who are still obsessed with "those cringy things from a couple years ago."

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2019, 7:37 pm

I don't think my obsession with squishing fake grapes in hobby lobby will catch on anytime soon. :P

Cavycat
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Jan 2019, 9:08 pm

The trend started a few years ago, I actually hid my stim toy from view of my junior year history teacher because some kids in my class got distracted by using fidget spinners. Around the time I was recommended fidget toys by several people in my institution, this trend took off. I love the cubes, but I had to get them in bulk from a Chinese Amazon seller because the price was very marked up.
I was annoyed that something I found useful was being used as a fad. Someone at my institution with Smith Magnis used the spinner as a status symbol, and it was clear that it distracted him/her.
I have always do fidgeted, and my favorites are the multipurpose cube and the bead in the woven plastic thing.

erika luzia princess red
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Jan 2019, 9:20 pm

Eu nunca tive esse tipo de brinquedo, mas sou a favor de ter brinquedos na sala de aula, afinal muitos de nós podem se sentir protegidos. Eu tenho um relógio de bolso e ele de certa forma me protege.
By: Mel :)

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

12 Jan 2019, 11:03 pm

Even if they were not a fad, they still should not be allowed in class because they will distract the other students. When I was in high-skewl, the computers in class all had the same screen saver with these lines that would make various shapes & sizes of them. The teachers had to turn the monitors off because half the class would be staring at it so I imagine lots of students would stare at a spinning object in someones fingers instead of paying attention to the lesson.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2019, 10:23 pm

That would be cool to have them as a fad. The Autistic population might have to be higher than it currently is for that type of scenario to be possible in real life.