Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

imdoneone
Raven
Raven

12 Jan 2019, 6:47 pm

Should anyone feel upset about their autistic sibling having a child?

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2019, 6:49 pm

No-no one has any right to feel upset over that

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2019, 7:11 pm

Of course not. Many Autistic people make excellent parents. We have quite a few outstanding Autistic parents on this site and many of them have Autistic children as well. One of my best friends comes from a family of Autistics and he and his children are Autistic. He is also one of the best parents I know.

Wreck It Ralph

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2019, 9:11 pm

Since Aspie parents have lived their lives as Aspies, they are in some ways better prepared to relate to their children if they turn out to be Aspies. They know what works and what to avoid.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2019, 1:55 pm

For those of you who know Amethyst from Ask An Autistic YouTube channel, her entire family is Aspies. They always figured that they were the normal ones and NTs were the not normal people.

Wreck It Ralph

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2019, 2:07 pm

imdoneone wrote:
Should anyone feel upset about their autistic sibling having a child?

Question is why should anyone be upset? Is that person a good person, are they competent and can they take care of themselves? Will they be a good caregiver for the child? This is true for everyone. If an NT person was a drug addict and couldn't hold a job and couldn't take care of themselves and then they were pregnant, of course this is a right to be concerned. If an autistic person couldn't care for themselves and couldn't hold a job and couldn't keep their place clean and they needed caretakers and couldn't remember to do tasks on their own and couldn't function on their own, you would have a right to be concerned.

This question isn't a black and white question where we can answer yes or no. If someone asked the same about an NT sibling, I would think that really depends on the sibling. For an NT, people would automatically assume that NT is incompetent and not fit to be a parent but if someone had that same concern for a disabled person, people automatically think ableism than looking at if that person is fit or not to be a parent like they would assume with any NT. My thoughts stay the same because I try to avoid being bias.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.