Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2019, 8:52 pm

I remember a few years ago that I encountered a dog rescue program for Greyhounds. These dogs were used on dog racetracks and after a few years the dogs were retired and many were then disposed of. So a rescue program began to place these animals in homes.

Well a similar fate also happens to racehorses.

So I ran across an article today that looked at using these animals for PTSD therapy.

Up to 30% of veterans are affected by PTSD, more than 20 veterans take their own lives every day, and the veteran population accounts for 18% of all suicide deaths in the United States, according to the latest statistics.

The concept is called equine-assisted therapy (EAT), and the idea behind it is not to have patients ride horses, but to use them as therapy companions.

The Man O’War Project at Columbia’s Irving Medical Center set out to determine not only the effectiveness of EAT treatments in veterans with PTSD, but how this therapy could be used to establish new guidelines for treatment of anyone who has suffered trauma – including, potentially, children some day.

The horses picked for this program have a specific pedigree: most of them were either thoroughbred or racing horses, elite professionals effectively abandoned at the end of high-stress careers, often like their human companions.

Rather than see those horses go to slaughter, Mack, a former ambassador to Finland, decided there was an alternative solution that could potentially help more than just his four-legged friends. [So he helped to fund a first time ever, clinical research study in this approach.]

Doctors conducted MRI imaging on participants before and after a series of therapy sessions that spanned some eight weeks. And the veterans who took part, and those who might benefit down the road, aren’t the only ones that Ambassador Earle Mack, the former U.S. diplomat who funded the study, and others set out to help.

Source: Veterans, experts say horse therapy shows promise as PTSD treatment

Now soldiers are not the only ones who suffer from PTSD type symptoms. Many Aspies experience severe stress that evolves into distress and produces mental health problems like PTSD. Equine Therapy is being selectively used today to help several Aspies deal with stress overload. So this clinical trial will directly apply to adding this form of therapy to the Aspie treatment tool chest.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2019, 9:01 pm

Sounds $$$$

Does the VA pay for it?

Does the Regional center pay for it?

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2019, 10:41 pm

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
Sounds $$$$

Does the VA pay for it?

Does the Regional center pay for it?

What clinical trials do, is they validate this approach as a credible treatment option. In the case of soldiers suffering from PSTD, I would hope this translates to actual treatment programs.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2019, 9:16 am

I hope they make this happen. Animals of all kinds are therapeutic in many ways. Most therapies are done with dogs, but other animals, particularly cats and horses, are great sources of comfort as well.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2019, 9:33 am

That's the type of therapy that I'd be up for. I love animals and I'd like to give horseback riding a try.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2019, 9:38 am

IstominFan wrote:
I hope they make this happen. Animals of all kinds are therapeutic in many ways. Most therapies are done with dogs, but other animals, particularly cats and horses, are great sources of comfort as well.

While I don't have authority or knowledge about the situation, it sounds like it is financially not happening

Last year the counselor told me that the insurance only pays for two years of counseling. One hour every other week, for two years. That b***h didn't tell me a single original statement

She said I could apply for one more more year of counseling

But insurance could reject

But it's just one year

However some people earn $$$$$ so whatever

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2019, 9:53 am

I've had hippotherapy before

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2019, 11:10 am

I know people who use “horse therapy” for themselves and their kids.

There’s one person here who makes use of the company of horses to make her feel better.

starcats
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2019, 6:44 pm

Equine-assisted therapy is a great tool for many aspects of autism. Yes, PTSD, but also sensory issues, motor control, emotional regulation, developing leadership, productive nonverbal communication. There are a lot of programs out there, many of which are subsidized or offer scholarships.
https://www.pathintl.org/

Donald Morton
Toucan
Toucan

31 Jul 2019, 7:21 pm

I can personally attest to the effectiveness of equine assisted therapy as I worked as a volunteer at a Horse Riding Therapy Ranch. There were two sections, one for special needs children and young adults and the other for veterans suffering from PTSD. You could see in the riders expressions that they truly enjoyed their time on horseback. It was one of the most rewarding experiences that I have ever had the pleasure of being a part of. The ranches personnel and the horses are so very special, warm and giving.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2019, 7:23 pm

I'm actually afraid of horses----but I've heard many good things about how horses help become more calm and more responsible----even in maximum-security prisons.

starcats
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2019, 8:22 pm

I highly recommend reading Riding Home by Tim Hayes if you want to understand why and how horses are such great therapy partners.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2019, 11:25 pm

Here is a little more about why horses are used in this clinical trial:

Why Horses Are Helpful In Treating PTSD:

* Horses are prey animals and naturally skittish (hypervigilant), presenting an opportunity for veterans to recognize and understand fear responses.

* Horses are naturally sensitive to verbal and nonverbal cues, and thus provide good feedback to the veterans about how they are communicating.

* Horses are herd animals, who live in a social structure and seek out social relationships.

* Horses exist “in the moment,” and are forgiving, patient and nonjudgmental, allowing opportunities for veterans to make mistakes and learn from them.

* Unlike dogs, who grant love unconditionally, relationships with horses must be earned. One must build trust with a horse for it to welcome you into its world. Through EAT, veterans re-learn how to build trust and how to trust themselves again – valuable tools to help veterans succeed with family, work and social relationships.

* EAT isn’t simply about making veterans “feel better,” it’s about helping them increase emotional awareness and the ability to regulate their emotions.

Source: Man O’ War Project