Any aspies here over 25 been mistaken for a teenager?

Page 2 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2019, 2:04 pm

At work, someone once thought I looked 16 but thought I had to be at least 18 because you have to be that age at least to work for this company we are working for.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

gingerpickles
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2019, 2:53 pm

I was carded until my late 30s.

BlueIris24
Raven
Raven

03 Feb 2019, 3:04 pm

Sometimes. At this book store a few months back the clerk thought me and my sister were teenagers out of school! We both were 18 at the time though.

People, especially other women, tend to treat me as if I'm younger than I am. They'll try to help me with things without me asking for it and talk in a soft, motherly voice. I find it kind of odd, but also kind of them I guess. I suppose my Asperger's has something to do with it, since we tend to look and act more childlike.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2019, 3:40 pm

I've heard about how people on the spectrum sometimes look younger than their actual ages?

Any specific university studies attempting to find-out why people on the spectrum may look younger than their actual ages?

Tomatoes
Toucan
Toucan

03 Feb 2019, 7:05 pm

Yesterday, I got told that I looked younger. I'm 37 but she said I looked more like 29-30.
The first time I bought hard liquor I had to show my card.

I don't really care, what's matter is what's inside my coconut.

Austinfrom1995
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2019, 9:58 pm

Ok, technically I'm only 23, but yes i have been mistaken for a teen on numerous occasions.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2019, 12:17 am

I'm told that at 18 with my beard and my build I look like I'm in my 20s.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2019, 12:29 am

...I went to a rock club on my 26th birthday, when the drinking age was 18, and had to show ID to get a drink at the bar! :) (The club let in as young as 16 on a can't-drink level.) I put it as " I used to have the Dick Clark/Cliff Richard disease " :lol: !

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

SZWell
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Feb 2019, 1:23 am

I'm 24 and a woman who saw me painting the other week thought I was no older than 15

Slight bruise on my male ego

Social_Fantom
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2019, 1:30 am

Yes, I told someone that I was 31 (at the time, now 34), they couldn't believe it and said that they thought I was between 18-20. I think in my case, it's largely due to the fact that I stay inside most of the time because of my job and sun allergies so my skin hasn't had any damage like people that are constantly outside get, but I'm not sure if that's the whole story or not. It's very reassuring that I at least look young, because my body doing things that I never thought would happen to me.

sidetrack
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2019, 1:35 am

Was in a 'youth group' not too long ago and someone in their *late teens*, I would think for a moment thought I was a teen after going to an improv drama event.

JD12345
Toucan
Toucan

04 Feb 2019, 5:08 am

Paradoxically, when I was 14 and under many people thought that I was two or three years older than my actual age. Since adulthood arrived it's been quite common for people to assume that I'm two or three years younger than I actually am.

boating_taxonomist
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Feb 2019, 6:15 am

I'm 31, usually have people guess early twenties, but have very occasionally had people still assume I'm a teenager (not very often though and personally I don't think I look under 18). I got people ask where I went to school until I was well into my 20s.

Oddly I rarely get ID'd for alcohol but do get ID'd for all sorts of other things, and have been refused buying matches because I didn't have ID. I hate how arbitrary requiring ID is for age restricted products is in the UK, for a lot of things they're meant to ID you if you look under 25 (even though the age restriction is usually 18) and it's all dependent on the person serving so there's no way there can be any consistency in that judgement. I've got proper annoyed on several occasions where I've gone all the way back home to get my ID, come back, and had another staff member not check at all. I think on one occasion, I had an argument with the cashier who wouldn't let me buy butane canisters (I was 28), stomped back home really quite upset about it (I'd been in the same shop numerous times to buy the same thing), got my ID, walked back again, and I think the same woman didn't ask me for my ID the second time. I don't mind getting asked for ID but the inconsistency of it all drives me crazy.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2019, 9:23 pm

Yesterday someone said "when I was a child his age" and pointed to me

35 years old

Postmenopausal woman

StarThrower

05 Feb 2019, 5:23 am

My Chinese acupuncture doctor asked me my age recently and when I told him ( 65 ) , he seemed surprised . I asked him how old he thought I was and he said 45 . I asked him how old he was , he said 49 . He thought that I was younger than him . :lol:

neptunekh
Toucan
Toucan

05 Feb 2019, 2:26 pm

I feel when people call me kiddo they don't respect me as a woman whose is over 30.