What is itlike to go to college with autism/another disorder

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

jenisautistic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2019, 8:24 pm

I am trying to figure out whether not I can go to a college program for people with disabilities in my area

I was wondering what it’s like for other people here who have disabilities such as autism.

EyeDash
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Feb 2019, 9:56 pm

It was a long time ago for me but college was actually a lot easier than high school. College was more academically focused and required less navigation of social situations and involved a lot more individual effort (library research, studying course material, labs). The bullying and ostracism I faced in elementary through high school was no longer an issue in college (outside of some extracurricular interactions). One issue was the same however, which is that I can have a hard time absorbing verbal information, like in classes and lectures. And in both high school and college the way I dealt with that was to read and re-read all the textbooks and course material before the semester or quarter even started - that enabled me to understand what was being said better and even allowed me to show interest and ask meaningful questions. One other difference in college was that we had more options about majors and minors and course options, so it was somewhat less structured than high school. And I made mistakes - I overloaded myself badly with too many classes and labs one quarter and did poorly in a couple of classes and ended up changing my major. I should have been working with one of the advisors, but I avoided it at the time. I went to a hard science college (UC San Diego, Revelle) and it was pretty competitive and few people were socializing anyway, so I didn't stick out as badly as I did in high school. :nerdy: That also resulted in less stress on me - I had to focus on academic work (which I was good at) rather than deal with social situations (which I struggle with).

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2019, 1:52 am

It's much easier than being in elementary school or high school. I didn't experience nearly as much bullying as I did in grade school.