Anyone else had to threaten suicide to get pets?

Page 1 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Planetarium
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Jan 2019, 1:22 am

How sadistic must landlords be to eternally condemn someone to perpetual solitude just so they wouldn't need to clean a bit? Not only do they get free money for sitting on their asses they can't be arsed to use it and allow people not to stare at an abyss in the process. I had 300 stolen from me as a 'deposit', but I'm the one who couldn't get pets even three years after that. f**k landlords, the pieces of s**t!

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2019, 1:34 am

I'm in the same situation. I love dogs (much preferable to a girlfriend, which the rest of the posters here my age can't shut up about) and am also in the situation of being unable to get one. I'm slightly more charitable to my landlord, however, because everything else about this place is pretty good, except the noise from the main road :x.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

10 Jan 2019, 2:35 am

I think there're rules about dogs and other pets in flats because most people are out at work during the day and it isn't fair for pets to be left alone all day. Those living in houses but out all day should have at least two dogs so their pet has some company.

People don't want to listen to howling, lonely dogs all day long!

I think landlords should make an exception in cases where someone is at home all or most of the day, such as many of us here.

Some people may qualify for an emotional support animal.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

AceofPens
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Jan 2019, 9:27 am

I don't know what country you live in, but in the US, if you can get a doctor's note saying that you'd benefit from an emotional support animal, your landlord could not legally prevent you from owning one, regardless of the rules on pets. He would also not be allowed to evict you for adopting one, thanks to some act - equal housing, I think? An ESA is different from a service animal, in case you're not familiar with the term. They're more or less pets, not specially trained or anything. They're just more important than a pet would be to an average person.

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2019, 9:58 am

AceofPens wrote:
I don't know what country you live in, but in the US, if you can get a doctor's note saying that you'd benefit from an emotional support animal, your landlord could not legally prevent you from owning one, regardless of the rules on pets. He would also not be allowed to evict you for adopting one, thanks to some act - equal housing, I think? An ESA is different from a service animal, in case you're not familiar with the term. They're more or less pets, not specially trained or anything. They're just more important than a pet would be to an average person.

Fair housing act

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2019, 10:01 am

Keep in mind that the landlord has the right to protect his or her property -- and if that includes prohibiting destructive pets, then why not just rent a flat where pets are allowed?

And threatening suicide to get your way could backfire. The landlord may refuse to renew your lease out of resentment for being manipulated, or out of fear of finding your bloody remains splattered across the real estate.

Last edited by Fnord on 10 Jan 2019, 10:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

10 Jan 2019, 10:05 am

I think you mean "protect" not "protest"...

Just for sake of accuracy...

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2019, 10:09 am

AceofPens wrote:

Which just says something about "the average person"
and not in a good way!! !! !!

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2019, 10:18 am

envirozentinel wrote:
I think you mean "protect" not "protest"... Just for sake of accuracy...
Thanks! I changed it.

(... gotta disable that stupid auto-correct app ...)

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2019, 5:56 pm

Lot of places don't allow pets because of people having pet allergies or because of irresponsible pet owners and they pee everywhere and make a big mess and because of barking and howling. Places that do allow pets have a pet fee rent.

An emotional support animal is not protected by the law because they are not service animals.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2019, 7:27 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Lot of places don't allow pets because of people having pet allergies or because of irresponsible pet owners and they pee everywhere and make a big mess and because of barking and howling. Places that do allow pets have a pet fee rent...
Some of this fee may go to cover liability insurance (here is the States, anyway), because pets also bite, scratch, and trip people. They may also carry diseases that are transmittable to humans.

So, the OPs post is an example of the idea that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few or the one.

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2019, 7:57 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Lot of places don't allow pets because of people having pet allergies or because of irresponsible pet owners and they pee everywhere and make a big mess and because of barking and howling. Places that do allow pets have a pet fee rent.

An emotional support animal is not protected by the law because they are not service animals.

They are protected by housing law (Fair housing act), just not the ADA. The only advantage to having an ESA over a normal pet is being allowed to own them in pet free areas and no fees can be charged.

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2019, 8:00 pm

Arganger wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
Lot of places don't allow pets because of people having pet allergies or because of irresponsible pet owners and they pee everywhere and make a big mess and because of barking and howling. Places that do allow pets have a pet fee rent. An emotional support animal is not protected by the law because they are not service animals.
They are protected by housing law (Fair housing act), just not the ADA. The only advantage to having an ESA over a normal pet is being allowed to own them in pet free areas and no fees can be charged.
Well then, the solution to the OP's problem is simple. Just have him immigrate to America and ask a psychiatrist to write up a scrip that declares his need for a support animal.

He lives in a council-flat somewhere in the U.K., if I understand correctly.

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2019, 8:04 pm

Fnord wrote:
Arganger wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
Lot of places don't allow pets because of people having pet allergies or because of irresponsible pet owners and they pee everywhere and make a big mess and because of barking and howling. Places that do allow pets have a pet fee rent. An emotional support animal is not protected by the law because they are not service animals.
Well then, the solution to the OP's problem is simple. Just have him immigrate to America and ask a psychiatrist to write up a scrip that declares his need for a support animal.

He lives in England, y'know.

It doesn't have to be a psychiatrist, for the best because then people would have to wait at least six months if they are lucky.
A therapist or general care doctor can do it.

I didn't notice his country, but I think ? I didn't suggest it, just correcting what is inaccurate.

AceofPens
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Jan 2019, 10:23 am

Arganger wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Arganger wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

He lives in England, y'know.

It doesn't have to be a psychiatrist, for the best because then people would have to wait at least six months if they are lucky.
A therapist or general care doctor can do it.

I didn't notice his country, but I think ? I didn't suggest it, just correcting what is inaccurate.

Yeah, I suggested it on the condition that he lived in the US. Arganger is right, too, that a GP can provide a note for an ESA.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2019, 11:22 am

What kind of pets are we talking about here? Dogs and cats are clear risks to the property, especially puppies and kittens, but maybe you'd be able to negotiate an exception if you got something that is kept in a cage and that you promise to only let it out of it when you can keep an eye on it properly.