Page 1 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 11:26 am

Valentine's Day tomorrow. What are your plans?

A week ago while grocery shopping, I made an opportunity for my husband (who has dementia) to pick out a card for me, and I bought one for him. Yesterday I asked if he remembered where he had put his. He kidded me that he had no idea - just a little Alzheimer's humor there - but then owned up that he did know.

Our big day will involve exchanging cards and a lot of hugging and I love you's. This actually suits me just fine - nice and simple. We have to pick up some meds at the pharmacy today, and maybe I'll suggest we buy a heart-shopped box of candy to share.

I hope this topic does not bring despair to anyone who lacks a special someone. My main point is you have to modify your circumstances to what works for you ... which might be watching a favorite movie with your cat.

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 12:57 pm

Valentine's Day is a cheap, corporate gimick and an insulat to the saint after whom it's named (not that I'm exactly religious).

It's never really been celebrated in the UK anyway, but whatever the Americans do seems to eventually catch on.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 1:41 pm

On one hand, I agree with you.

On the other hand, I know my husband is sentimental and always buys greeting cards. Part of caretaking of him is to honor his feelings wherever I can.

We did buy the heart-shaped box of candies. :)

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 1:45 pm

The only thing Valentines Day means to me is those necco candy hearts - which weren't made this year :cry:

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 1:56 pm

Getting a tattoo

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 1:59 pm

BeaArthur wrote:

I hope this topic does not bring despair to anyone who lacks a special someone. My main point is you have to modify your circumstances to what works for you ... which might be watching a favorite movie with your cat.

Saw this on facebook

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

13 Feb 2019, 2:14 pm

I've bought three candy hearts, for my kids and hubby.
That's enough, maybe even too much.

My favorite Valentine evening: A friend dropped in. He and my husband played video games and I went early asleep.
Best.Valentine.Ever.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 3:22 pm

Gonna play some games, maybe rent a movie. Hope that an asteroid collides with the planet.

Scorpius14
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 3:28 pm

Or a chance for people at work to gloat about their fortunate circumstances (or unfortunate whatever the case may be) with the partner of their desires, towards myself who is quite evident to be alone in this pursuit. They are of course free to ask me if they so wish, to be my valentine, if that is the correct way to approach such a situation.

Lace-Bane
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 3:44 pm

being too busy struggling to keep up with life to notice the holiday... only pleasing thought of the day is there are loving couples out there to enjoy it, even so.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 4:00 pm

I'm going to avoid people.

They don't seem to like me all that much. :roll:

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

Last edited by cberg on 13 Feb 2019, 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 4:20 pm

If it doesn't rain, I may go and play tennis.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 4:45 pm

I never knew your husband had dementia. Hugs to both of you.

Me and my boyfriend are both working tomorrow and won't see each other properly until late evening, but we have got each other a valentine's card and a gift each. We tell each other every day how much we love each other, so this particular day is no more romantic than any other day. :lol: :heart:

littlebee
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 4:50 pm

Personally I'm not really big for this kind of holiday, but used to be when I was younger, Right now my boyfriend is laying in a snf--"sniff" (skilled nursing facility) in a diaper and I cannot even reach him on the phone as he is sleeping so much, and this would be the same, or about the same, be it tomorrow or today, but there is a possibility of love, at any time. There is that potential. One of the most important things is to be able to know how to give a gift which really does suit the person it is given to, and to the op, sounds like you have done that, and not just for your husband. Thanks!

The emerging aim for me at this time when I am going through so much is to not be identified, so if I celebrate a holiday and enjoy doing that, not identify, and if I cannot get into the ritual, then not idenitify with that. Then there is even more of a chance to love, and a holiday can be a reminder. Why not employ reminders, just as long as the reminder does not take over?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 6:55 pm

I sent cards to my mom, sister, sister in law, niece and 8-year-old nephew.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 8:06 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I never knew your husband had dementia. Hugs to both of you.

Me and my boyfriend are both working tomorrow and won't see each other properly until late evening, but we have got each other a valentine's card and a gift each. We tell each other every day how much we love each other, so this particular day is no more romantic than any other day. :lol: :heart:

Thank you for the hugs, that's very gracious.

Like you and yours, me and mine exchange expressions of love, by words hugs and actions, every day.