Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

SportsGamer35728
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Feb 2019, 12:33 pm

Was anyone here who was diagnosed with AS as a child re-diagnosed as High-Functioning Autistic as an adult? I was diagnosed at age 3 and the doctor reassured my parents that I would grow up fine. However, as an adult, I feel that given my difficulties with functioning independently, along with the fact that my range of interests is more diverse than the average Aspie, I wonder if a new diagnosis would be appropriate? Your thoughts.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2019, 6:10 pm

If you were diagnosed with "Aspergers Disorder" under the DSM IV manual your diagnosis is supposed to automatically be changed to "Autism Spectrum Disorder"
DSM 5 Diagnostic Criteria "Autism Spectrum Disorder"

Quote:
Note: Individuals with a well-established DSM-IV diagnosis of autistic disorder, Asperger’s disorder, or pervasive developmental disorder not otherwise specified should be given the diagnosis of autism spectrum disorder

"High Functioning Autism" is not a diagnosis list in any manual I am aware of although apparently it is given out a lot.

One always has the right to seek a second opinion. Knowledge about Autism has increased significantly since when you were diagnosed and you have changed significantly since you were diagnosed so I do not see an issue with a reevaluation.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

aNewUsername
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Feb 2019, 5:34 am

I have been professionally tested when I was ~4, 7, 18.
The result has remained consistent. The only difference is simply the wording of the diagnosis, as they changed the DX. They made it clear that the diagnosis name changed nothing about the diagnosis.

Quote:
"High-functioning autism and Asperger syndrome are both part of the 'autism spectrum'. The main difference between the two is thought to be in language development: people with Asperger syndrome, typically, will not have had delayed language development when younger."

Realistically, HFA is basically the same DX as AS. I believe the majority have changed the diagnosis to Autism Spectrum disorder, making HFA/AS/ETC generally redundant.
The spectrum doesn't particularly divide into specific categories too well. Two people will share the same diagnosis, will have the same similarities that got the diagnosis, yet they will typically be as different to each other as AS is to NT.