FDA approves Ketamine, a potential autism treatment.

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

rowan_nichol
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2019, 3:20 am

Ketamine has shown itself able to do quite a bit of harm to its users when misused. My latest apprentice spoke of use of Ketamine putting him into very confused and quite frightening states and when I first got to know him 9 years ago, not long after he had stopped self medicating / misusuing this subject, one quickly picked up the impression as one conversed his head was still a bit messed up. Ketamine use has also been linked to individuals ending g up with bladder damage, some to the point that surgical removal and incontinence thereafter has been the price for misusing Ketamine.

Thus it may well be the case that the driver to develope the variation which has been approved has more to do with reducing the risks which accompany it.

The addiction risk may well be significant, hence the requirements for the drug to be administered at the doctor's surgery and the monitoring of the patient.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2019, 3:40 am

Noca wrote:
They took a drug that costs probably $1 a vial wholesale and jacked up the price to as much as over $6000 USD a month so that no one can afford it. Congratulations fundamentally broken western medical system, what a joke. Of course they had to slightly alter the molecule so it isn't ketamine that is approved for depression but rather esketamine the active enatiomer. They only did this so that they can patent and profit.

"The wholesale cost in the developing world is between US$0.84 and US$3.22 per vial." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketamine

Yeah, that's ridiculous.
"The list price of the drug will be $590 to $885 per treatment session based on the dosage taken, which will vary between patients. During the first month of therapy, that would add up to a price in the range of $4,720 to $6,785. After the first month, maintenance therapy could range from $2,360 to $3,540."
That's American prices. It would be almost double here in Australia if it were approved.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2019, 1:41 pm

rowan_nichol wrote:
Ketamine has shown itself able to do quite a bit of harm to its users when misused. My latest apprentice spoke of use of Ketamine putting him into very confused and quite frightening states and when I first got to know him 9 years ago, not long after he had stopped self medicating / misusuing this subject, one quickly picked up the impression as one conversed his head was still a bit messed up. Ketamine use has also been linked to individuals ending g up with bladder damage, some to the point that surgical removal and incontinence thereafter has been the price for misusing Ketamine.

Thus it may well be the case that the driver to develope the variation which has been approved has more to do with reducing the risks which accompany it.

The addiction risk may well be significant, hence the requirements for the drug to be administered at the doctor's surgery and the monitoring of the patient.
No I absolutely guarantee they only altered the ketamine molecule in order to patent and profit from exclusivity. They could not patent ketamine for exclusivity because it has been off patent for like 40 years. Big pharma frequently recycles drugs and alters their molecules ever so slightly just so that they can get another patent. The dose of ketamine abuse isn't relevant to ketamine used for depression as no clinic nor does this esketamine allow the patient to take the medication home and dose themselves. Both ketamine infusions and esketamine are used only in clinics.

GadgetGuru
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2021, 10:48 am

BIG disclaimer:
What follows is PURELY anecdotal evidence, and in no way should be taken as a recommendation of action...

Just this morning, I discovered that Ketamine is being considered as a possible tool to "treat" ASD.

I started Ketamine therapy for bipolar-related depression about six weeks ago, and am currently in the midst of essentially a total reboot of my brain. My whole life has been replayed, analyzed, and reconsidered, which led me to take up the issue of perhaps being on the spectrum, an idea that I had dismissed about 15 years ago, shortly after it was suggested to me as a possibility.

Some weeks into the K therapy, I started looking into the idea that I might have ASD, and have been in a "deep dive" ever since, and increasingly of the (still) uneducated opinion that it seems to explain so much of what I have been through.

I find myself very uncharacteristically wanting to talk to EVERYONE in my life, despite being quite isolated out here in a tiny town in the high desert of Northern Nevada.

Seemingly every day new ideas appear, and my perceptions of everything seem to be heightened. It's quite an amazing and rather daunting experience, and I'm not sure where it's heading, but it seems to be well worth pursuing, and I don't intend to abandon this course of action until I figure out what it all means.

Please take my disclaimer above seriously- there is not yet ANY solid evidence that Ketamine is useful in ASD, so don't go grabbing some from Cousin Vinny and thinking it's going to do anything positive for you.