Some tips for people with executive dysfunction

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

cheffe
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

19 Mar 2019, 9:58 am

I have always had problems with my executive function: I would think and think and analyze and think some more and never actually do the task. So yes, this has been a major problem for me in real life and I never seem to find a way to work around this issue. Until recently, I think, I may have found something that helps.
I just recently realized that it's all about lowering the time between thinking about and doing a certain task. So maybe you can do a little competition with yourself: how fast can I perform the task after thinking about it and than dive right into it, then compare yourself with earlier results.
What do you think?

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2019, 10:38 am

Whatever works for you ... but if you stop to compare your results with earlier tries, you're still overthinking.

I think a better solution is to build routines ... steps you can eventually do without even thinking or having to remind yourself.

PoseyBuster88
Toucan
Toucan

20 Mar 2019, 7:32 pm

I also like the quote "anything worth doing is worth doing poorly." Not sure where I saw it, but it helps me stop thinking/planning sometimes and just try.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2019, 7:43 pm

PoseyBuster88 wrote:
I also like the quote "anything worth doing is worth doing poorly." Not sure where I saw it, but it helps me stop thinking/planning sometimes and just try.

This. I believe I saw it on Twitter, but it was like "if you can't bother to take a shower, at least change your shirt", "if you can't bother to eat a meal, eat some chips", stuff like that. Mind you, this is specifically for the type of executive dysfunction caused by depression, where you simply don't take care of yourself. This is what I often suffer from.