Does high intelligence nwcessarily mean high functioning?

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2019, 11:00 am

One hypothesis for why autism is so common in human populations is that the genes associated with autism under certain circumstances and in certain combinations can result in a person with quite high IQ (with varying degrees of other challenges). However, an over-expression of these genes caused by different genetic or environmental contexts results in people who are classically referred to as on the "low function" end of the spectrum. It's a nice story anyway. We'll see how the evidence falls into place as research advances.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2019, 7:33 am

naturalplastic wrote:
A number of folks on WP come off as quite intelligent when they post here, but say that they are classified as "not aspie", and "not high functioning", and are classed as "low functioning", or level 2, or level 3, or like that.

I am level 2 and have been told that I am very intelligent a future PhD and so on. But a lot of my academic stills are quite poor. As are many aptitude skills. It's the smart but stuipd/inept syndrome many autistics experience.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2019, 7:54 am

I think gauging what level you might be , if you think you might be on the spectrum but are not yet diagnosed, is hard.
I'd guess most people here would be level 1 or 2. What counts as substantial help re level 2 vs some help re level 1? I'm quite verbal but have poor practical skills. Without help from my stepdaughter and having someone come in twice a week to do housework I'd be living in a mess. My stepdaughter comes to appointments with me. Either she or one of my granddaughters takes me shopping. They try to take me when it's not too busy as I get quite anxious. The other week my stepdaughter wanted to check out a new Lidl supermarket , but decided not to as it was really busy and wouldn't be fair on me.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2019, 11:12 am

firemonkey wrote:
I think gauging what level you might be , if you think you might be on the spectrum but are not yet diagnosed, is hard.
I'd guess most people here would be level 1 or 2. What counts as substantial help re level 2 vs some help re level 1? I'm quite verbal but have poor practical skills. Without help from my stepdaughter and having someone come in twice a week to do housework I'd be living in a mess. My stepdaughter comes to appointments with me. Either she or one of my granddaughters takes me shopping. They try to take me when it's not too busy as I get quite anxious. The other week my stepdaughter wanted to check out a new Lidl supermarket , but decided not to as it was really busy and wouldn't be fair on me.

There's a severe end to level 1. A level can be a spectrum within itself.

However I'm pretty sure most if not all level 2's get diagnosed early on. It's pretty pronounced autism. I have never known a level 2 who was not clearly obviously autistic.

At your age I think if you were level 2, and they hadn't diagnosed you as autistic, then they likely would have diagnosed you as mentally ret*d or brain damaged or something along those lines.

At least that's my opinion for what it's worth.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2019, 11:35 am

I would pose the question is it the degree of autistic symptoms or difficulty with living skills etc that matters most when assigning a level. I'm definitely not intellectually disabled and am not brain damaged as far as I know.

It's very likely,though I'm not diagnosed, that I have what Americans call a learning disability . This is because I'm much better verbally than non-verbally/spatially .
I've done several non-verbal tests online and average in the 70s. My practical skills are poor/very poor.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2019, 11:48 am

firemonkey wrote:
I would pose the question is it the degree of autistic symptoms or difficulty with living skills etc that matters most when assigning a level.

I have to answer that it's most importantly the difficulty with living skills directly attributable to autism.

As an example, I am physically disabled and must use a mobility scooter everywhere, even to get around my home. But that disability has nothing at all to do with autism. It has to do with a defect in my spine.

However, my autism has contributed to lifelong underemployment, some shutdowns where I just quit working, and difficulty in relationships. Those things are directly related to autism, and would factor into the level.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2019, 11:57 am

I have great difficulty socially . Have had it written in a supporting letter for disability benefits that my social skills are very poor.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2019, 12:32 pm

firemonkey wrote:
I would pose the question is it the degree of autistic symptoms or difficulty with living skills etc that matters most when assigning a level. I'm definitely not intellectually disabled and am not brain damaged as far as I know.

It's very likely,though I'm not diagnosed, that I have what Americans call a learning disability . This is because I'm much better verbally than non-verbally/spatially .
I've done several non-verbal tests online and average in the 70s. My practical skills are poor/very poor.

Well like I said, when it comes to level 2, it's usually if not always diagnosed at an early age, before things like living skills and social skills would be detectable. Back in the 60's a level 2 young child could have initially been mistaken as ret*d or brain damaged or similar.

But someone who's level 1 can have a lot of significant difficulties. In the private schools for autism I attended, there were many level 1's. But they were level 1's with significant issues.

Over the years I've read many who have said they were not sure what level they were. But in my opinion if they were level 2, they would definitely have known it for sure their whole lives.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2019, 12:43 pm

Yeah, a level one can easily slip through the cracks especially a female. Often times with level one, you don't really notice the big issues until around adolescence when social expectations change especially if there was no language delay and a high IQ. And sometimes the issues that happen in adolescence are just kind of looked at as weirdness. And many level ones learn to hide their traits and symptoms as a survival mechanism. So many don't get discovered until they are much older and the pressures of adult life become too much to handle.

Wreck It Ralph

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2019, 1:08 pm

Going to boarding school at 8 first brought some issues to the fore , but it wasn't till going to public school at 13 that the social issues became really pronounced . I was definitely regarded as the 'weird boy' by my peers. I once had monkey chants directed at me in a geography class by a lot of the other pupils.