Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2019, 5:34 pm

Like most middle class children I was given quite a lot of toys. It was difficult to know what to do with them .With the Lego I put brick on brick on top of brick or side by side. I didn't know how to make things

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2019, 5:39 pm

I wasn't really good with that type of stuff, either.

I had blocks----but I wasn't too much into them.

I liked cars better. I liked board games better. I liked going out and playing baseball, football, basketball.

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2019, 5:46 pm

I loved legos and blocks

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2019, 6:01 pm

We played quite a lot of board games. I used to get irritable with my brother because he'd mess around when playing.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2019, 6:19 pm

firemonkey wrote:
Like most middle class children I was given quite a lot of toys. It was difficult to know what to do with them .With the Lego I put brick on brick on top of brick or side by side. I didn't know how to make things

I could make my own things (kind of) they were more like abstract sculptures though. I still can't make anything with legos by trying to follow the booklet though. I get really frustrated.

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2019, 6:20 pm

DanielW wrote:
firemonkey wrote:

I could make my own things (kind of) they were more like abstract sculptures though. I still can't make anything with legos by trying to follow the booklet though. I get really frustrated.

The very first thing I'd do was throw the books out.

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2019, 6:23 pm

I still like to bite/chew on lego blocks. I have to be careful not to choke on them (or pen caps, small objects)

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2019, 7:37 pm

I preferred to build Lego houses with my mum or other children, then play with the little Lego men in the Lego houses.

NeilM
Toucan
Toucan

19 Mar 2019, 9:10 pm

I didn't have very many toys when I was a kid but I did have TinkerToys when I was primary school age and when I was older I had a (Kenners) girder and panel set. I used the TinkerToys to make cars and other things that I played with. True to Aspie style, I liked to line up the different color sticks together. All the orange ones here, the blue ones next, and so on. The Kenners set was used to make buildings and roadways; I found myself playing with that til I was in high school. Talk about not maturing or age-inappropriate activities. I don't think Legos had come out back then (1960s). There were Erector sets which I absolutely hated.

AQ = 38 MBTI = ISTJ Gender = Non-binary
I strive not to perseverate. You can PM me for more info.

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2019, 9:25 pm

With the exception of my G1 Transformer toys, I would purposely break most of my toys so that I could Frankenstein them together into something new. To me, it helped unleash my creativity better than almost anything else. Unfortunately, some very expensive collectible toys (Starwars, Hotwheels, Six Million Dollar Man, etc.) were sacrificed in my quest. I still have the Transformers, as I never had the heart to modify them.

Keiki
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Mar 2019, 11:12 pm

Before I even started to play with the lego's I had to sort them by size, shapes and colors. as the chaos of them all in a pile was to confusion to start out with. once that was done I almost always build houses and buildings.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2019, 11:18 pm

I had my fair share of toys growing up. I enjoyed playing with Lego, cars and tinker toys.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2019, 1:23 am

I was frequently confused by "traditional" play. As a young kid I had dolls houses and mini figures like Calico Critters, but I'd very rarely play pretend with them. I'd get fixated on a specific scene or action and play it out over and over again, like having them walk through doors or fall out windows so I could open and close them repeatedly. I had a little toy ferry boat that had a life preserver on a string that could be reeled in. My critters were constantly falling overboard just so I could stuff them in the life preserver and reel them back to safety over and over.

These days, despite my age, I'm big on stuffed animals, since to me they represent some of the widest varieties of possibility as far as play is concerned (as opposed to a lot of toys these days that are full of electronics and really limit the interactive experience in my opinion). I took up sewing so I could learn to make my own, and I create and test my own patterns. Right now I have big plans for my latest pattern, Stanley the sheep, named after my grandparents, because my granny loves sheep.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

traven
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2019, 4:25 am

i played with toys, especially when with others, dolls not on my own as far as i know, later i made all sort of stats on them

mostly i liked learning, reading, crafting, making up new or alternative games/rules
daydreaming, i liked singing much too, later you become too shy or akward for that, same with talking but i got braces that made me hyper-selfaware about speaking or smiling

as a favorite alsacian i was often put to babysitting tasks, at sometime i was volunteered to wednesday playtime with a girl with clubfoot- pb, so that she had a playmate, i was years older but it was a sweet little girl, and her mother was very gentle too

later i made it as much as possible for my children to play with 'real' things and not plastic fake-things
i always thought it was a pain to the mind to see kids amidst seas of plastic hubris chaos,
ofcourse you can't escape all, but try for more balanced offer & less is more also

AceofPens
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Mar 2019, 11:01 am

I was really into toys as a kid. Legos were great - I had four younger siblings close enough in age to play with and I always led the games. We mostly played Oregon Trail in the backyard. I was very strict about projecting realism into the games, so we spent days moving our Lego people across the landscape and several more days building our settlement in the dirt. True to history, we lost a big chunk of our pioneers and buried them with funerals and everything - pretty sure they're still buried back there. When I was twelve or thirteen I had a Lego train set that I built schedules for and ran on my own. All of my siblings had outgrown toys by then. I also remember acting out Journey to the Center of the Earth with a friend when I was nine after reading it for the first time and later Jurassic Park, so I was really into playing off of book and movies, too. So, yeah, lack of imaginative play was definitely not an autistic trait I ever had. The only way I was affected in that domain would be that 99% of the time I would only play games that were linked to my current obsession. And I played with toys for longer than is typical.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2019, 11:09 am

I have problems visualizing something I have never seen before. For instance, the game, Quidditch from Harry Potter. From the very first book I read, I just could not understand it. Once I saw the first movie, it was like switching on a light and I finally understood the concept.