When I was a child, my favorite book was... You're kidding?!

Page 5 of 6 [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Malcolm_Scipo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2005, 12:46 am

rumio wrote:
My favourite book was The Hobbit but apart from that there was a trilogy of books that I really loved - they were called Viking's Dawn, The Road to Miklagard and Viking's Sunset.

They told the story of a boy called Harald Sigurdsson who lived by a fjord in Norway and went to sea on a viking longboat. Of course it was fun and adventure rather that extreme violence and rape. The second one was when he was older and they went to Constantinople, which the vikings called Miklagard, ( he was captain of the ship by this time) and the third one was when he was an old man.

They were great, they were by someone called Geoffrey Treece I think, possibly Henry Treece and I've tried to find them quite recently but not been able to.

Then I started reading Lord of the Rings aged about 11 and read it at least once a year for the next five years or so.

If you like the idea of Vikings in the Near East, you may like Byzantium.

I WAS NOT WHAT I HAD ALWAYS TRIED TO EMULATE.
INSTEAD A SHADOW OF FORMER GLORY.
AND THEN I CRIED.

mjs82
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2005, 10:36 am

when i was a kid my grandmother had a spare bedroom which was dubbed the book room as it was filled from floor to ceiling with just well scraps of parchments, slithers of papers and remnants of books. when i was 3 i started reading readers digest and atlases and i suppose haven't stopped since. my favourite book as a kid was Roald Dahl novels (children's books with adult bents) like BFG, The Twits and The Fantastic Mr Fox which I had always wanted to adapt into a film but as I see is being adapted into a movie as we speak! I better hurry up and do the other two quick smart

toadlessgirl
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Jul 2005, 1:32 pm

My favorite book as a child (and it's still in my top ten) was the H encyclopedia. Other favorites included a 600 page world atlas I got for my 8th birthday, a various assorment of baby's first word books (still read them occasionally), and a series of TimeLife books that had titles such as 'Dinosaurs' and 'Rocks'.

Fictionwise my favorite book in grade school was 'Catherine, Called Birdy'. I must have read it 20+ times.

Malcolm_Scipo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2005, 2:19 pm

I like books upon the subject of history.

AND THEN I CRIED.

Pandora
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2005, 8:37 pm

I like vet books, doctor and hospital books (as long as they are not those silly soppy soapies with lots of irrelevant romances), forensic science books, pyschology books and books about animals plus joke books (even if the jokes are really silly)

Hold your heads up high.
"Western Girls" - Dragon

Cato
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Jul 2005, 10:42 pm

I enjoyed dictionaries, atlases, and language textbooks. The reference librarians at the local library were a little puzzled with me at first, but they soon left me alone. One new librarian decided to help me once by pointing out the children's section to me; I asked her if they had any books on Roman epigraphy in that area. She went back to the kiddie books and left me alone, too.

Malcolm_Scipo
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2005, 1:15 am

Librarians are slightly evil if they try and force people to the children's section. The wombles are there.

AND THEN I CRIED.

PrisonerSix
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2005, 9:03 pm

This is something I used to be embarassed about some things I've learned have made me think differently about that stance.

I am a 37 year male with an older sister who is only 1 year and 3 months older than I am. When she was young, she was an avid reader. She could get up in the morning and read all day and into the evening, stopping only for meals and even then, reading while eating. I wasn't a big reader back then and was never big on reading fiction. I liked reading encyclopedias, books on how things worked, and stuff like that.

I used to like to do action things like building with blocks and Legos, playing with toy cars, drawing elaborate road systems and the like. I also used to watch TV. I used to catch alot of heat for being the opposite of my sister in the reading area, which I think only made me less interested in reading.

I do read more today, but again, it's mostly technical books, nonfiction, etc., rarely any fiction.

It feels so much better finally admitting that.

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

Malcolm_Scipo
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2005, 12:50 am

I used to create elaborate forts for micro-machines and create castles for lego.

AND THEN I CRIED.

ashkelon
Raven
Raven

08 Jul 2005, 9:35 am

Dictionary at the top of the list. We had an OED. I'm very nearsighted and my mother still blames the OED.

Gray's anatomy.
Seton's animal anatomy books.
The Code of Iowa and Iowa Administrative Code
Field guides and back issues of Sports Afield (hunting magazine)

I was fascinated by the law, and was lucky enough to live next door to a retirec supreme court justice who loved to teach and opened his library to me.

I read novels hoping they would give me a model for social operation.

I got a lot of strength and "iron" from reading Jack London's White Fang over and over as a little kid. Really little, read it in 1st grade. It made some sense to me as a "social" code and I liked the idea that I would be like White Fang, strong and alone and didn't need the "pack".

I also liked the jungle book, like Mowgli I was the odd one out. I liked Kipling in general, but I liked any books with clear cut heros who followed a high code of honor. I loved a lot of victorian adventure novels for that reason.

Malcolm_Scipo
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2005, 1:05 pm

ashkelon wrote:
Dictionary at the top of the list. We had an OED. I'm very nearsighted and my mother still blames the OED.

Gray's anatomy.
Seton's animal anatomy books.
The Code of Iowa and Iowa Administrative Code
Field guides and back issues of Sports Afield (hunting magazine)

I was fascinated by the law, and was lucky enough to live next door to a retirec supreme court justice who loved to teach and opened his library to me.

I read novels hoping they would give me a model for social operation.

I got a lot of strength and "iron" from reading Jack London's White Fang over and over as a little kid. Really little, read it in 1st grade. It made some sense to me as a "social" code and I liked the idea that I would be like White Fang, strong and alone and didn't need the "pack".

I also liked the jungle book, like Mowgli I was the odd one out. I liked Kipling in general, but I liked any books with clear cut heros who followed a high code of honor. I loved a lot of victorian adventure novels for that reason.

Problem is that these heroes have died. We are now in a world of pathetic masses who are easily manipulated.

AND THEN I CRIED.

PrisonerSix
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2005, 12:43 pm

Malcolm_Scipo wrote:
I used to create elaborate forts for micro-machines and create castles for lego.

Sounds like alot of fun. I used to do similar things. I liked creating my own adventures, my own stories, etc. I had a great imagination back then.

What I resent the most these days is our society's determination to take someone who doesn't read all day and all night and label them something bad. Or worse yet, some alleged authorities who think because people don't read what THEY think is acceptable it is not reading.

Some people credit the Harry Potter books for getting more kids than ever interested in reading so instead of our educators praising them, they condemn the books or even ban them in some schools. I think it's just a case of being sore losers because these alleged "professionals" couldn't get kids to read yet some British woman who isn't an educator could.

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2005, 1:13 pm

I read a fair amount of fiction (and Erma Bombeck by third grade), but I do admit I liked reading this medical book that you could diagnose yourself in. I always came up as having depression and anxiety.

ashkelon
Raven
Raven

11 Jul 2005, 1:30 pm

I was talking to one of the cousins who reminded me of the 3' stack of Mad magazines in one of the older cousin's closets. They had to start in the late 50's or early 60's. We read them ragged. We would laugh until we choked and the adults would yell at us.

I also read my cousin's superman comics. He finally gave them all to me and I read them into tatters.

It never occured to me that I could go BUY either one :roll:

Malcolm_Scipo
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2005, 1:24 am

ashkelon wrote:
I was talking to one of the cousins who reminded me of the 3' stack of Mad magazines in one of the older cousin's closets. They had to start in the late 50's or early 60's. We read them ragged. We would laugh until we choked and the adults would yell at us.

I also read my cousin's superman comics. He finally gave them all to me and I read them into tatters.

It never occured to me that I could go BUY either one :roll:

I want to see a mad magazine.

AND THEN I CRIED.

Endersdragon
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2005, 2:57 am

Oh also I loved looking at the Atlas. Not for anything in particular just looking at it.

Vote for me in 2020 :-D