Page 1 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2019, 9:50 am

GOT == The bad people win, the good people die (sometimes horribly), and justice never prevails.

None of you are missing much.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2019, 7:04 pm

I've never seen / read Game of Thrones, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit (is that the same as LOTR?), Star Wars, Star Trek, Princess Bride, Coronation Street, or My Little Pony ... and nor do I have any interest.

SpaceCadet89
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

12 Apr 2019, 8:09 pm

I watched the first season and stopped there; however, I do have a habit of getting into the big shows years after they’ve finished and all the hype is died down, so I might try it again in the future. Going from what I remember, it’s basically tits and dragons.

Evil_Chuck
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Apr 2019, 12:06 pm

Neither have I. Not interested. Real history is more fun.

FUNNY DEATH METAL LYRICS OF THE WEEK: 'DEMON'S WIND' BY VADER
Clammy frog descends
Demon's wind, the stars answer your desire
Join the undead, that's the place you'll never leave
You wanna die... but death cannot do us apart...

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2019, 1:31 pm

I've seen the very first episode, and that's about it. If I wanted to catch up I'd really have to dedicate myself.

Sandpiper
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Apr 2019, 1:37 pm

I've never watched it.

When the first series started I remember reading a review in a newspaper that described it as "a wankfest for boys".

As a result I didn't think it was something I needed to bother myself with.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2019, 1:43 pm

Neither have I.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2019, 8:02 pm

Muia wrote:
chris1989 wrote:
I seem to feel a bit of a loser, not having seen Game of Thrones since series 1 when I've not really been interested in it nor have I read the books and want to read them really, I seem to think everyone's been watching it, even people who are not very interested in it or fans of it. I've been more a Tolkien fan than a George RR Martin fan.

I’m a Tolkien fan too, been tempted to watch/read GoT but still not sure. The very reason that everyone has seen it puts me off if that makes sense.

Might as well at least give it a chance, I like Tolkien stuff and GoT is very different from that but is also great. I mean in some ways it is a bit more violent/disturbing than tolkien stuff. It is a very messed up and brutal world George R. R Martin has created and its hard not to want to know what happens next.

I know before i read the books or really really started watching I saw the first episode and initially it seemed like too much...but it was too late to turn back I was already hooked at that moment and had to know what happened next so then I watched it and also read the books.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2019, 1:54 am

Fnord wrote:
GOT == The bad people win, the good people die (sometimes horribly), and justice never prevails.

None of you are missing much.

Nah, the bad people get to die horribly, too. And sometimes there are tits, wits and dragons.

Kenya wrote:
I tried watching the show, but couldn't get past the first few episodes. What struck me really hard was during the tournament in that one episode where some guy, whose name I can't remember, went berserk and decapitated his horse.

Gregor Clegane. Charming fellow, to be sure. The actor that plays him seems pretty cool, though

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2019, 2:15 am

I've never watched the super popular shows. GOT and Stranger Things are really the only exceptions I can think of.

However even with those, I will probably put off watching them until after the season has concluded and then binge watch them each in one day.

JD12345
Toucan
Toucan

16 Apr 2019, 3:56 am

I gave up on it some way through the second season. I've never quite grasped the fantasy genre; the real world itself is complex, interesting and insane enough.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2019, 3:59 am

...I'm " me too " essentially to Isabella* (I've had modest encounters with Star Trek and Wars over the year) and you can add Chronicles of Narnia, Philip Pullman, and all these YA dystopias of modern times to this " No! " list -For TV, I stopped watching most " big-peime time network TV sometime around '84_'86 - I first became homeless in '85/'86 - that changed in '87 but then I became homeless again in '96 and have remained so (or " semi-/culturally homeless) since then :cry: - so watching g much TV ........especially, relevant to GOT, since it runs on expensive " premium cable " HBO in the US.
*-Coronation Street isn't widely shown in the US. I was on e is a hospital and saw, on the Canadian CBC, which was on the cable system the hospital carried, an episode of " the Street " :D once, this episode seemed to revolved possibly around " one of us " - a small child of a couple who had split up - the implication seemed to be that the kid was ASD (The plot was* his father turns up and drives recklessly and his mum.is POd) - I think I asked about it here and that was answered was another AS ref. on C. Street.IIRC.

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

16 Apr 2019, 2:56 pm

Muia wrote:
chris1989 wrote:
I seem to feel a bit of a loser, not having seen Game of Thrones since series 1 when I've not really been interested in it nor have I read the books and want to read them really, I seem to think everyone's been watching it, even people who are not very interested in it or fans of it. I've been more a Tolkien fan than a George RR Martin fan.

I’m a Tolkien fan too, been tempted to watch/read GoT but still not sure. The very reason that everyone has seen it puts me off if that makes sense.

I understand what you're saying but I think you are making a mistake. After all, Tolkien is much more popular, and you like that! Tolkien's influence on Martin is very apparent, even though Martin has more modern sensibilities - for example, Martin's hero has friends called Samwell, Pyp, and Dolorous (which is the opposite of Merry), and Samwell fills a very similar role to Samwise.

For a long time the violence and nudity put me off, but it is a genuinely compelling story. As with any story, there are lots of good reasons why a person might think it isn't to their taste, but I would have thought a fan of fantasy would generally be well advised to give it a go. You can always do what I did and cover your eyes whenever there's a gruesome bit.

If you prefer books then I would instead suggest NK Jemisin's Broken Earth trilogy and Patrick Rothfuss' Kingkiller Chronicles as the heirs to Tolkien. But on the screen, Game of Thrones is the closest contender by far.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2019, 1:58 am

I don't see all that much of Tolkien in GOT. My being a Tolkin fan has little to do with liking GOT. I think when something is of the same genre there's going to be similarities. Gandalf is similar to Merlin and Aragorn and his sword Anduril is similar to Arthur and Excalibur and so on. But overall they are very different stories and characters.

I like GOT a lot, but I don't follow it nearly as much as LOTR. When I comes to LOTR I know every last detail. With GOT I only have a basic understanding of the people and places involved. But then again I've never read any of the GRR Martin novels.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2019, 2:19 am

EzraS wrote:
I don't see all that much of Tolkien in GOT....But overall they are very different stories and characters.

Well, Tolkien basically codified high fantasy as it is today, so while the stories are different, the tropes are there.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2019, 3:00 am

this aspie never cared for fiction, especially those fictions that revel in the worst of human nature and which have the effect of corroding the spirit of its viewing audience.