"He's like a big kid." Is this how people think of us?

Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

losingit1973
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Apr 2019, 6:49 pm

I get this from time to time. My response is usually along the lines of "and your piont is?" They can take me or leave me as I am.

AQ 42

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2019, 7:07 pm

Summer_Twilight wrote:
Is this how people think of us?
I started feeling better about myself when I stopped caring how people think of me.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2019, 9:11 pm

"people" sounds like seven billion, but means two or more

A disproportionate number of autistics have no friends or job or spouse

breaks0
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Apr 2019, 9:27 pm

Yes it's what alot of people think of us. When you have a president who likes to make fun of disabled people and now wants to spy on us on social media to weed us out of benefits programs alot of us need to survive, why should this be at all surprising? Especially in the workplace where, frankly, it's generally as if not more competitive than in society at large (speaking only about the US). Saying we're like big children is probably one of the milder things she could've said and one of the milder things alot of NTs think.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2019, 10:23 pm

breaks0 wrote:
Yes it's what alot of people think of us. When you have a president who likes to make fun of disabled people and now wants to spy on us on social media to weed us out of benefits programs alot of us need to survive, why should this be at all surprising? Especially in the workplace where, frankly, it's generally as if not more competitive than in society at large (speaking only about the US). Saying we're like big children is probably one of the milder things she could've said and one of the milder things alot of NTs think.

Mild or that, I thought that was a pretty ignorant things to say if not condescending myself. While it appears that she thinks she's above him. However, she does not have some high-end position. Rather, she's just a regular worker in the dining program.

Sahn
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2019, 5:42 am

In those situations I say,

"Well, I quite like him/her".

Not delivered in a confrontational way, just in passing.

It's usually enough to stop people from gossiping and won't lead to a confrontation.

Reporting your colleague could backfire on you.

KeepOn
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Apr 2019, 3:20 am

I think I'm sometimes like a big kid or sometimes like an old man who just wants a simple life and to be left alone. :? I always seem to act older or younger than my age.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2019, 7:26 am

domineekee wrote:

It's usually enough to stop people from gossiping and won't lead to a confrontation.

He's not a colleague since he works for a different department unless we are collaborating with his supervisors about catering options. Even though he's been mean to me, I still don't think it's fair for him to face treatment like that.

Sahn
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2019, 8:11 am

Summer_Twilight wrote:
domineekee wrote:

He's not a colleague since he works for a different department unless we are collaborating with his supervisors about catering options. Even though he's been mean to me, I still don't think it's fair for him to face treatment like that.

Oh well, good luck sorting it out, I guess if you report someone you make an enemy of them.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2019, 8:17 am

domineekee wrote:

:mrgreen:

Yes because you don't know if the human resources is having sex with your colleague

Anyone could be biased against anyone for any reason or no reason

Thus far, it appears to me that, a disproportionate number of precious lil "people" make actions and statements that sounds, to me, like they are biased against me. Could be result of autism. But I am not telepathic and did not do a controlled experiment

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2019, 3:09 pm

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
domineekee wrote:

Yes because you don't know if the human resources is having sex with your colleague

Anyone could be biased against anyone for any reason or no reason

Thus far, it appears to me that, a disproportionate number of precious lil "people" make actions and statements that sounds, to me, like they are biased against me. Could be result of autism. But I am not telepathic and did not do a controlled experiment

Ok then I will not

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2019, 4:33 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
People often think that I'm a "big kid."

It's a combination of affection and condescension that I sense in their attitude.

I don't know-----I just don't like acting all "professional" or whatever. I like acting like me.

Unfortunately this is very common. There is affection, definitely. I don't think "they" even realize the condescension. Kortie, or others, how would you like to be seen? I assume you like the affection part.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2019, 5:08 pm

I like to be seen as a person people can rely upon.

I am not often seen in this light.

I am seen as somebody who would buckle under pressure, and who is a "lightweight" in general.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2019, 5:11 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

I am seen as somebody who would buckle under pressure, and who is a "lightweight" in general.

I can rely on you. I've also known you to deal with a lot of "heavyweight" pressure.

Hugs

TUF
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2019, 5:16 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

That is how I see you actually. NTs are missing out if they don't see that.

Personally, I know I'm emotionally immature and look young. I just wish people saw that intellectual age is different to emotional age. Sounds like bragging but I'm a lot smarter than a lot of NTs I know.

Also I wish I was tall enough to 1 get a pint in a pub and 2 be able to handle my drink

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2019, 5:25 pm

I've made some stupid mistakes----and I'm still making them.

At least now I can see the mistakes, and try to rectify them.

My mother doesn't really think I'm "solid." She thinks I'm sort of the type that doesn't assert himself. And that I assert myself in the wrong places.