Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

tensordyne
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Apr 2019, 3:37 am

Article: https://blogs.psychcentral.com/aspie/discuss/271

Do you think Ruth Bader Ginsburg was AS? Interesting ideas in their that resonate with me.

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2019, 4:24 am

Fascinating insight.
I've never read anything like that before, but the idea of grand emotions resonated with me, too.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2019, 5:01 am

It's a very interesting article and quite a few things there ring true. That being said, some of the comments point out correctly that the author is conflating values and emotions.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2019, 9:49 pm

No, but I might.

littlebee
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2019, 12:56 am

From the article:

"In the pursuit of those emotions, other feelings are secondary, superficial, misleading, and trite. Sadness, grief, jealousy, fear, joy, shame, sympathy… those are emotions which serve only me; but Truth and Work, Passion and Justice, longsuffering and Equality… those are emotions which serve the Greater Good. Those emotions are the mobilization of Love."

Imo very ignorant and extremely whacky. The entire article is of the same ilk as the above comment. This said, yes people do wrongly characterize autistic people as not having empathy. but maybe this is subject for another thread.

tensordyne
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Apr 2019, 1:47 pm

What I find interesting about the article is that it shows the idea that maybe emotions are weighted differently for aspies. For instance, my whole life, I never had feelings for "groups". Absolutely despise team sports mentality b/c, I just never, "got" that. My spouse (who is NT but ENTJ for Meyer-Briggs, if that helps anyone get right his particular frame of mind) and I (Aspie) talk about this kind of thing all the time.

He said, "How can you have the emotion Truth. It is an abstraction, and as it is not viscerally about other humans, I find it hard to imagine how it could be an emotion?" To which I replied, "Well, Truth feels like exhilarating calmness. Finding something new that is true, that you know is true for the most rigirous of logical reasons, for instance as happens in math, but also happens in other fields, feels great!"

There was also talk of how he sees things. Watching, for instance, "Schindlers List", causes in him feelings for people in the movie by group. A weight of sadness for all Jews, for polish persons who protested and were oppressed by the Nazi state in return, and so on. (ed. note, eeek, sorry for bringing in something so heavy, pleeeease feel free to take only the essence of the general point I am trying to make here and not let this thread go off the rails about Nazi's or something [bites nails]).

I just feel horror and anger on a person by person basis based on Grand Feelings for people. Any groupings I have a hard time having emotions for. If anything, being required to have emotion for groups, which to myself are abstractly derived in nature, feels oppressive.

Maybe there is a different weighting system going on, neuronally speaking? IDK, just some thoughts. Take it EZ

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2019, 2:34 pm

I make very broad connections. I see a cat food commercial, and I see the wild animals starved or killed by the ranchers feeding the cats.