Page 1 of 15 [ 238 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2019, 12:53 pm

I truly can't handle being disliked. Whenever I am hurt verbally or physically, my mind will replay what the other person did endlessly to me even when I want it to stop. Even when other people tell me they like me, just one person telling me they don't like me tears me apart. It makes me feel like they are the correct ones while the ones who do like me are incorrect.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

23 Apr 2019, 1:04 pm

I know the feeling. It's likely one of the sources of my social anxiety. It may have come from constant criticism I have always received from my mother - like I internalized it into a belief citicism is what counts.
It's wrong but being able to see the world differently requires a lot of hard work.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

littlebee
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2019, 1:15 pm

"It makes me feel like they are the correct ones while the ones who do like me are incorrect."

For them it is "correct," in that it is what they are experiencing. There is no ultimate truth that any human being is or is not likeable as it is always experienced in subjective context.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2019, 2:05 pm

I had to learn quite young that not everyone was going to like me. As an adult I could care less who likes me and who don't. If a person likes me, great. But I figure it won't last long. If they don't like me, that's fine I probably don't like them either.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2019, 2:10 pm

MagicMeerkat wrote:
I had to learn quite young that not everyone was going to like me. As an adult I couldn't care less who likes me and who doesn't. If a person likes me, great. But I figure it won't last long. If they don't like me, that's fine I probably don't like them either.
^ THIS ^

My life took a turn for the better when I stopped worrying about what people thought of me. In fact, I would rather know that someone honestly hates me than believe they like me when they don't.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2019, 2:53 pm

I had a caretaker who liked me more than my older brother but it was the reverse when school started for me. Oddly, my mother was paranoid someone was going to kidnap me and she panicked when a school wanted to put my school picture in the newspaper.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2019, 7:33 pm

EDIT: Change of heart.

Last edited by Marknis on 23 Apr 2019, 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2019, 7:46 pm

Marknis. You have to give people a break sometimes.

Magz is a nice person.

She was identifying with you.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2019, 11:58 pm

When people tell me to let go of my past, it's like they are saying it was ok for the bullies who harmed to have done what they did.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

24 Apr 2019, 2:24 am

Cool, I must have missed something :mrgreen:

Marknis wrote:
When people tell me to let go of my past, it's like they are saying it was ok for the bullies who harmed to have done what they did.

"let it go" ≠ "it was ok"

I understand letting go the past as focusing on present and future more than on the past that has already happened and can't be changed.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2019, 3:07 am

Marknis wrote:

"Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned."

-Buddha (allegedly)

Harpuia
Raven
Raven

24 Apr 2019, 7:13 am

The problem I had to learn was the opposite. What other people think of me matters a great deal. Without it, you cant get a job, a social life, a love life, or just generally be able to function in society at all.

Rdos: Your Aspie score: 126 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 90 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

24 Apr 2019, 7:38 am

Harpuia wrote:
The problem I had to learn was the opposite. What other people think of me matters a great deal. Without it, you cant get a job, a social life, a love life, or just generally be able to function in society at all.

There is something called healthy balance. One may be on either side of it.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2019, 7:42 am

Marknis wrote:

That's because you appear to misinterpret what people are saying to you , you appear hyper vigilant , maybe because you have been hurt in the past. You always appear to be looking for the negative in peoples comments especially your detractors.

If you don't let go , you can't move forward.

You can't start the next chapter of your life if you keep re-reading the last one.

When the past calls , let it go to voicemail , it has nothing new to add.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2019, 8:14 am

I’ve had to learn to MAKE myself liked.

I was widely disliked as a schoolboy....by pupils and teachers alike....

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2019, 8:18 am

SaveFerris wrote:
... You can't start the next chapter of your life if you keep re-reading the last one...
Ooo ... Good one! That's a sig-worthy line if I ever saw one!
SaveFerris wrote:
When the past calls, let it go to voicemail, it has nothing new to add.
Wow! Two in a row! You're on a roll!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.