No 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Unsure 76%  76%  [ 13 ]
What's your problem anyway? 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 17

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2019, 6:17 pm

I know I will never know for sure unless I get tested and my current insurance wouldn't allow me to be tested for free... But I've heard a lot over the years... Ranging from the therapists that wanted me to have a diagnosis to the psychatrist that insists I am not... Sigh... I am for sure bipolar which complicates things quite a bit... Higher iq too. Female... I'll make a poll lol, the "Do you think Angnix is Aspie poll"

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

Antrax
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2019, 6:31 pm

I haven't paid close enough attention to your posting history to say anything on the matter. I suspect outside of a few regulars here, that will likely be the case, so perhaps you could say why you think you may be autistic, and why you think you might not be?

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2019, 6:46 pm

Even if I had a strong hunch one way or the other, I would have to stick to my conviction that you can't be diagnosed over the Internet. I like you and sure hope you continue participating at WP. But that's as far as I'll go on this topic.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2019, 6:47 pm

I would have to meet you in person in order for me to have any sort of impression.

dyadiccounterpoint
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 May 2019, 8:01 pm

I struggle with a sense of imposter syndrome on here because I am unsure as well. There's always a part of me that maintains skepticism and refuses to be certain about it. I am high IQ, verbally articulate, and excellent at scripted acting which only flame my skepticism.

I suppose the answer, beyond actual diagnosis, might be found in time and research. I'm sure a lot of people have moments where they think they are autistic. I would imagine much less people continue obsessing about it and researching it long after whatever impetus caused the suspicion has faded.

I relate strongly to the experiences others have expressed here. I find the examination of formal research to be illuminating as to my psychological state. It all feels like it explains so much about my behavioral history.

One can never be certain without formal assessment I suppose (and even then there is some doubt it seems considering varying competencies of professionals and incidences of misdiagnosis), but how many "Aha!" moments can one have before accepting a "significant probability" of ASD?

We seldom realize, for example, that our most private thoughts and emotions are not actually our own. For we think in terms of languages and images which we did not invent, but which were given to us by our society - Alan Watts

plokijuh
Toucan
Toucan

16 May 2019, 6:53 am

Angnix wrote:
I know I will never know for sure unless I get tested and my current insurance wouldn't allow me to be tested for free... But I've heard a lot over the years... Ranging from the therapists that wanted me to have a diagnosis to the psychatrist that insists I am not... Sigh... I am for sure bipolar which complicates things quite a bit... Higher iq too. Female... I'll make a poll lol, the "Do you think Angnix is Aspie poll"

I agree with the others that the internet can't diagnose, but only to say that I think diagnosis is about more than just yes or no, but how. I.e. if you are (or if you're not) what that looks like for you. What helps, what hinders. These things can be discovered without a diagnosis, but I think having accurate diagnosis definitely makes it easier to work some of that out.

AQ: 42 (Scores in the 33-50 range indicate significant Austistic traits)
RAADS-R: 165
RDOS: Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 159 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 44 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2019, 8:20 am

Perhaps you could get an unofficial diagnosis from someone who works with kids on the spectrum every day as their job. I know someone who's wife does that. He thinks he can tell as well since he sees the kids growing up. He also sees a ton of normal people in his two jobs, so he has more experience than the typical teacher.

Sort of like the difference between a bird watcher who has seen a bird, but only briefly, versus someone who studies a breeding pair every day, for several seasons. Medical people don't know because they don't get enough opportunity to interact with or even observe various disorders.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2019, 10:51 am

BTDT wrote:
Perhaps you could get an unofficial diagnosis from someone who works with kids on the spectrum every day as their job. I know someone who's wife does that. He thinks he can tell as well since he sees the kids growing up. He also sees a ton of normal people in his two jobs, so he has more experience than the typical teacher.

Sort of like the difference between a bird watcher who has seen a bird, but only briefly, versus someone who studies a breeding pair every day, for several seasons. Medical people don't know because they don't get enough opportunity to interact with or even observe various disorders.

I had one stranger ask me because she said she worked with high-functoning Autistic adults and she "can pick them out from a mile away"

Another talk therapist said one of her sub-specialties was autism thought so too.

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

AceofPens
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 May 2019, 11:30 am

Are you functionally disabled in the areas described by diagnostic manuals discussing autism?

Are those disabilities unable to be explained by conditions that you know you have?

That's really all autism comes down to. Specific functional disabilities without any other explanation. If you lack disability, or if a disorder you are diagnosed with already covers your symptoms, there's no reason to consider yourself autistic. I understand where the quandary you're experiencing comes from, as I've experienced it myself, but I think the difficulty just comes from overthinking it. Unless you're missing out on necessary accommodations because of the lack of a diagnosis, though, the anxiety is unnecessary. Ultimately, whether you have it or not changes nothing. It's just a label for a set of facts. It doesn't change the facts, it just describes them concisely.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2019, 12:05 pm

I'm inclined to say someone is an Aspie over the Internet if they display obvious savant skills and social interaction difficulties. What else could it be? But, I haven't seem that here.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2019, 12:37 pm

Two experts picked you out on their autistic radar. So its possible.

Have never read any of your posts before, nor I have I met you in person, nor did you even list any symptoms here on this thread. So I couldn't say. But its possible.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2019, 12:52 pm

Angnix wrote:
I know I will never know for sure...
That's my answer.

You would need to consult an appropriately-trained and licensed mental-health practitioner to find out if you are autistic or not.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2019, 2:38 pm

I understand your frustration Angnix, I spent close to two years researching autism and wondering about myself before I was diagnosed. The not knowing was excruciatingly uncomfortable; I didn't know where I fit in and where I belonged. I had days when I was absolutely certain I was autistic, and days when I was convinced it was all in my head and I was perfectly normal. Even beyond needing the supports, I wanted the assessment so I could just know one way or the other, so I could figure out who I really was.

What I did in order to get my diagnosis was put my hyperfocus skills to good use. Every paycheck I put a little bit away with the determination that no matter how long it took, I was going to save so I could afford to be tested. I researched every doctor within a 50-mile radius of where I lived (which was a long way for me back then because at the time I couldn't drive) and emailed them to find out if they tested adults and how much it cost. Eventually I got lucky; I found that the psychological services center on my own university campus provided testing on a sliding fee scale based on income. It wasn't just for students either, anyone who wanted to could be evaluated.

I know how long and difficult the process can be, and how frustrating it can feel in the interim, but I'm confident that if it matters enough to you, you'll find a way to get your eval so you can have a real answer once and for all about whether or not you're autistic.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

blackicmenace
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2019, 3:07 pm

I think my unprofessional opinion would be irrelevant.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2019, 2:14 pm

I had bad social skills, meltdowns and excessive interests as a kid... As an adult I still have special interests but my social skills have improved. I am being treated for bipolar, but I still get meltdowns. Most mental health people have said I have "traits" and possibly I could have been diagnosed as a child, but my social skills have improved enough not to be disabled anymore in that area.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2019, 11:04 pm

Angnix wrote:
I had bad social skills, meltdowns and excessive interests as a kid... As an adult I still have special interests but my social skills have improved. I am being treated for bipolar, but I still get meltdowns. Most mental health people have said I have "traits" and possibly I could have been diagnosed as a child, but my social skills have improved enough not to be disabled anymore in that area.

If professionals deem that you're not disabled by poor social skills, that's a red flag that either you don't have autism (meltdowns can be caused by bipolar disorder too) or you may once have qualified for an ASD diagnosis, but have improved your functioning enough to no longer need one (since the entire point of diagnostic labels is to put a name to issues you're having for the purpose of receiving help and support).

It's possible to have traits of a condition without having enough of them, or having them severely enough, to qualify for a diagnosis. For example, I have traits of OCD that include a preoccupied anxiety regarding germs, obsessive intrusive thoughts, and compulsive behaviours, but these symptoms don't interfere with my daily life, and I can move past them relatively quickly, so even though it may look on paper like I have OCD, in reality, I wouldn't qualify for diagnosis. You may well be part of the broader autism phenotype, which isn't a true condition so much as it is a term to describe people with "more autistic traits than an average NT".

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!