Why must sports commentators be employed to shout?

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Weirdness
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 May 2019, 5:29 pm

It seems to be the only profession where that is in the job description, and it's unbelievably annoying... like, do the majority of people even like this nonsense? It destroys my mind, every single time is like some warplane dropping bombs on my mind and all of a sudden too where I need to decide whether to run for cover (block ears) or endure a few seconds until I'm able to press some button to switch or mute it. I don't think there is any other career that tops it in terms of annoyance... second place would be ice cream trucks, unbearable too, but kind of rarer and at least there is some kind of melody even though it's eternally repeated and every time I feel like shooting a bazooka at them if I had one... people in society seriously strive to be as annoying as possible.

And, I found it annoying when I wasn't at all interested in sports... but even after watching some anime series it's pretty much the vanguard against the possibility of having any curiosity into the real-life counterpart. It's just not as obnoxious in anime, and I watch it mainly for the story anyway, not just sport, but they don't just suddenly SHOUT IN YOUR FACE... and somehow get paid to do it.

So... yeah, just because recently there was something 'historic' or whatnot I had to be temporarily deaf. I don't normally resort to whether something is deserved or not, usually unkind, but in this case... I think if they're hoarse constantly in their 'career' it's the least for annoying others so much... :x

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2019, 6:34 pm

Most people are oblivious to the FACT that humans in industrialized society are very loud in general. As a species, I guess it's a good thing our brains are advanced enough to create "civilizations", since most people wouldn't last five minutes crashing and trudging about in a natural setting with top level predator animals lurking.

Loud music, jets, loud cars, loud motorcycles. Noise pollution is real and it's ubiquitous.

I'm on a minority because I think humanity should actually feel collective shame over how unnecessarily loud and rudely obtrusive we most often are and take as much effort to correct it as to what's been called for toward the environment.

harry12345
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 May 2019, 8:57 am

Snooker commentators are quiet - usually....

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2019, 9:06 am

At the other extreme, there are sports commentators who talk with a droning voice (John McEnroe) and put you to sleep. The irony there is that he could take someone's head off in his playing days.

MrMacPhisto
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2019, 11:27 am

The sport commentators that annoy me are not the ones that shout but the ones that ramble on about things that is not relevant to what I am watching. If I am watching a sport event I want to hear what is actually going on not what the sports player was doing in there spare time etc.

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2019, 11:45 am

I don't notice it unless I get a Spanish stream for football (or maybe it's Mexican or something)

Then I find it funny. They shout 'gooooaaaal' for 'goal' and go on and on about it! Like little kids, yeah, shouting but not in a bad way. :D

I do know that some people are as sound sensitive as I am light sensitive though and that must be painful for them so I'm sorry if you're enduring that.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2019, 3:29 pm

MrMacPhisto,

Some tennis commentators annoy me to death with this kind of chatter.

MrMacPhisto
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2019, 3:53 pm

IstominFan wrote:
MrMacPhisto,

Some tennis commentators annoy me to death with this kind of chatter.

Formula One is the worst offender for that. I love that sport and watch the races but the British Commentators end up talking a load of rubbish. They even go so far to talk about what they (the commentators not the drivers) had for the meal the night before! Irritating.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2019, 9:16 am

The British and South African tennis commentators seem to have running conversations with each other about those kinds of things, too. Once they talked about the bathroom facilities (or lack thereof) in the venues they visited. Stop talking to each other and watch the match!

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2019, 10:28 am

The noise really gets to me and tends to give me a headache after awhile, especially when people have the volume turned up too loud like they often seem to.

Maybe the commentators think that their excitement makes for better TV.

It’s just really annoying. I’m sensitive to noise, though.

MrMacPhisto
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2019, 10:43 am

The problem with a lot of Sport Commentators and it seems to be common in a lot of sport like Tennis, Motor Sport, British Football, Snooker is another example. The broadcaster hire ex-players to do the commentary and they are not professional broadcasters. I remember when those sports had professional broadcasters do the commentary and commentate in a way that kept your gripped and kept your attention even if that particular match isn’t an exciting one. I don’t mind the ex-players if they give their expertise but they are not commentators.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2019, 10:47 am

You may want to watch golf. I can't recall the last time I heard a golf commentator shouting. When Tiger Woods won the Masters recently the commentators observed a moment of silence! They knew there was nothing they could say that would add to the occasion.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2019, 10:48 am

Like the OP, I can't stand over-excited people getting loud, whatever the situation. I'm not a sports fan at all, not of any sport, but a few friends are, so I end up sat in front of it anyway now and then. Are commentators paid by the word or something? It seems that they are not allowed to shut up even for a moment. Because I'm not interested in the result, I entertain myself by listening out for the surreal or nonsensical things said in the commentary or player interviews ("Colemanballs" in the UK after the late David Coleman - a bit like Yogi Berra's "Yogi-isms" in the US, but not quite so intentional.) A handful of favourites...

"When Gazza was dribbling he used to go through a minefield with his arm, a bit like you go through a supermarket."

"You must be lost for words. Tell us how it feels."

"I always used to put my right boot on first, and then obviously my right sock."

"Strangely, in slow motion replay, the ball seemed to hang in the air for even longer."

"Women's football does have its knockers."

"There’s nothing wrong with the car except that it’s on fire."

"Umpire Fenwick just twitches his nose, instead of putting his finger up in the usual way."

"The bowler's Holding, the batsman's Willey" (a very famous one - they're the real names of cricketers.)

<link to more>

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2019, 8:57 pm

"Like a mongoose on amphetamines" is a favorite expression of tennis commentator Robbie Koenig.