What do you let your kids do that others do not?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Autism brother.
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Dec 2018, 2:39 am

I have a SEV. autistic 26 yr old brother that had 6 brain surgeries as such our caring for him is deffrant here's my list of things me and our mother let him do.

1.run around butt naked. (Even infront of company)
it's his house too and id if he wants to be naked it's his right. (and where still potty training him).

2.eat with his hands.
if it helps him with eating I'll do it.

3.make a HUGE mess with arts and crafts. (again he's naked so it's easier to clean up).

4.splash in the bath. so what if water, bubble bath, enable paint, and toys get EVERYWHERE thats what towels are ment for.

5.play in mud. i here people telling there kids to not splash in mud were as I'm teaching my bro to do so.

6.jump on the beds. (again clothed or naked) and we have a private fence for him to bounce naked on his trampoline to.

7.take walks (or runs) with him whenever he wants. (his school is AWESOME for that).

8.teach him how to cook. last night we made a roast it was GOOD.

9. read him story's WHENEVER AND WHEREVER he wants. so what if I have a backpack full of kids story's and hes jumping up and down while I read sesame Street he loves it.

10. paint ANYTHING in the house. (we cover everything in butcher paper so it doesn't get too messy.

11. Baby-talk to him WERE EVERYWHERE we are if he understands it better we will do it.

12. We do not make him stop stimming EVER (its there way of releasing bent up energy)

13. Pee basically anywhere he wants (we have potties in every room for him.)

14. Play music anytime he wants as loud as he wants.

15. Bang on pots and pans (if he signs were all good)

16. Sleep with me or our mother (he hardly sleeps alone and this way he can sleep peacefully and we know where he is and that has not hurting himself so more power to him.)

17. Scream and shout (again indoors).

18. Draw on the walls (with erasable marker again we cover the house in butcher paper).

19. Were onesies EVERYWHERE. (He's got like 100000)

And

20. Love him unconditionally. ☺❤

I got 2 more.

21. Baths we bath him about 8-14 times A DAY. Depending on if its a good day for him.

22. massages WHENEVER he wants one. We do it.

That's our list id love to here yours.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2019, 11:22 am

Autism brother. wrote:
I have a SEV. autistic 26 yr old brother that had 6 brain surgeries as such our caring for him is deffrant here's my list of things me and our mother let him do.

it's his house too and id if he wants to be naked it's his right. (and where still potty training him).

If he's not toilet trained after 26 years it isn't going to happen.

Quote:
2.eat with his hands.

Eat what? chicken, french fries, spaghetti, soup?

Quote:
3.make a HUGE mess with arts and crafts. (again he's naked so it's easier to clean up).

Wouldn't be easier to keep him clan if he was wearing a smock?

Quote:
4.splash in the bath. so what if water, bubble bath, enable paint, and toys get EVERYWHERE thats what towels are ment for.

If someone is prone to slashing it's pretty hard to curtail it.

Quote:
5.play in mud. i here people telling there kids to not splash in mud were as I'm teaching my bro to do so.

You're teaching a 26 year old to splash in the mud?

Quote:
6.jump on the beds. (again clothed or naked) and we have a private fence for him to bounce naked on his trampoline to.

Alright.

Quote:
7.take walks (or runs) with him whenever he wants. (his school is AWESOME for that).

I get taken for walks too. But my special needs school didn't take me for walks. There wasn't enough staff to take each kid for a walk. Plus there would be liability issues for walks outside of school grounds.

Quote:

Cooking is too complected and dangerous for me.

Quote:
9. read him story's WHENEVER AND WHEREVER he wants. so what if I have a backpack full of kids story's and hes jumping up and down while I read sesame Street he loves it.

Alright

Quote:
10. paint ANYTHING in the house. (we cover everything in butcher paper so it doesn't get too messy.

So everything, furniture, appliances and floor etc are covered with butcher paper?

Quote:
11. Baby-talk to him WERE EVERYWHERE we are if he understands it better we will do it.

Even intellectually disabled sever autistic adults understand ordinary talk pretty well. At least those I know of.

Quote:
12. We do not make him stop stimming EVER (its there way of releasing bent up energy)

That's good.

Quote:

How does that work out since you say he's not potty trained?

Quote:

I don't like loud music.

Quote:

Huh?

Quote:
16. Sleep with me or our mother (he hardly sleeps alone and this way he can sleep peacefully and we know where he is and that has not hurting himself so more power to him.)

Alright. I sleep with a family member sometimes. Used to sleep with my cousin a lot.

Quote:

Alright

Quote:
18. Draw on the walls (with erasable marker again we cover the house in butcher paper).

What about the paint you mentioned above?

Quote:

I've been around umpteen severe autistics of my whole life and never seen one dressed in a onesie outdoors.

Quote:
And

I got 2 more.

21. Baths we bath him about 8-14 times A DAY. Depending on if its a good day for him.

Why?

Quote:

Neck and shoulder massages help me relax. Usually someone can tell when I need one.

Quote:

I've experienced a few things on that list. But as far as running wild and whatever whenever all the time, I've always needed structure. A time and a place for things.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2019, 11:48 am

EzraS wrote:

Quote:

Huh?

I think that should be sings Ez

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2019, 12:24 pm

So you have a severely disabled autistic brother. It is wonderful that you are able to accommodate his needs in the way you have done. Many on this site are Aspies or High Functioning Autistics and we tend to wrap ourselves around out own problems and perspectives. We tend to forget that Autism is a spectrum trait and we forget about the other extreme.

I had a niece who joined the Peace Corps after college. She went to Africa for a couple years. On her way back to the States after her 2 year tour was done, she stopped over for a couple months in Ireland and worked in a small group home out in the countryside. It was like a small farm. All the individual in the home were mentally disable to some degree. But they all had chores. They had a garden and grew their own food. They were like a small self sufficient community. And they were happy. I wish there were more of these.

Autism brother.
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 May 2019, 12:29 am

jimmy m wrote:
So you have a severely disabled autistic brother. It is wonderful that you are able to accommodate his needs in the way you have done. Many on this site are Aspies or High Functioning Autistics and we tend to wrap ourselves around out own problems and perspectives. We tend to forget that Autism is a spectrum trait and we forget about the other extreme.

Thank you so much. You get it. Yes.

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2019, 6:38 am

Autism brother. wrote:

2.eat with his hands.

And

I got 2 more.

When does he wear all these "onesies" if he is naked all the time? You say his school is awesome, yet he is 26. How old are you who are taking care of him?
Also, where are the social services in all this? Shouldn't they be helping you? It all sounds a bit chaotic and surreal to say the least if you will forgive the observation :|

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2019, 7:03 am

There are schools for intellectually-challenged adults. And day-treatment centers.

I would say the ability to speak on your brother’s part is significant. Even if it’s only a few words. Especially if he speaks on his own, without being prompted.

This brings the frustration level of all down a few notches.

There is also something called PECS. Where pictures are used to communicate.

Does your brother have some sort of tablet-type device that can talk for him?

Autism brother.
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 May 2019, 8:51 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
There are schools for intellectually-challenged adults. And day-treatment centers.

I would say the ability to speak on your brother’s part is significant. Even if it’s only a few words. Especially if he speaks on his own, without being prompted.

This brings the frustration level of all down a few notches.

There is also something called PECS. Where pictures are used to communicate.

Does your brother have some sort of tablet-type device that can talk for him?
yes and thank you.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2019, 11:23 am

Oh. I let my imaginary kids do all sorts of things... (Joking of corse. I don't have kids as I have never married... I believe I need a wife before I can have kids as there is an order... Find a nice single lady who loves you and you love her... Get married... Ghen have children. It does not seem to work the other way round..)

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2019, 11:30 am

Sorry. Just read the origional posting. I think it is fantastic to look after your brother... He is so fortunate to have such a loving and careing family!

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2019, 1:02 pm

I'm not sure if this is a real post or not, but I'd consider myself lucky to have a brother like you.