Difference in support in Level 1 and Level 2 Autism?

Page 2 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2019, 4:35 pm

^ Dude have you had your DX results yet ?

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2019, 4:43 pm

On the 20th . Asperger's syndrome . ADOS was social communication 3(autism level) and social interaction 5(Asperger's level) . Hence the Asperger's diagnosis when considered with the other information that was gathered.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2019, 4:50 pm

firemonkey wrote:
On the 20th . Asperger's syndrome . ADOS was social communication 3(autism level) and social interaction 5(Asperger's level) . Hence the Asperger's diagnosis when considered with the other information that was gathered.

That's the best news I've heard in ages FM ( I know , I'm weird ) , congratulations dude. Your post has brought a smile to my face :D

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2019, 4:56 pm

Yes. The suspense is over. And he knows...well...he knows whatever it is that all of that stuff adds up to. Lol! That he is an aspie, or is atleast is on the autism spectrum.

So now you're not just an honorary autistic (welcome here on WP), but are a bonafide autistic, and are indeed one of us.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2019, 5:01 pm

^^ I think my stepdaughter mentioning those things I'd thought of as "Well,that's just me" made a big difference.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2019, 5:11 pm

firemonkey wrote:
^^ I think my stepdaughter mentioning those things I'd thought of as "Well,that's just me" made a big difference.

Dude , if you are anything like me you will still be going , ah that's why , 1 year later :lol:

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2019, 5:11 pm

Any reconsideration for Autism supports above 'Level 1' functioning- which seems to necessitate a new scale?
The terms 'Level .5' (or 'Level 1/2') or 'level 0' appear misleading.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2019, 5:15 pm

firemonkey wrote:

And, if I remember right, you were worried that what she said would somehow sabotage the diagnosis. But what she said may well have saved the day.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2019, 5:31 pm

^ I'm a long standing member of pessimists anonymous.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2019, 5:36 pm

JustFoundHere wrote:
Any reconsideration for Autism supports above 'Level 1' functioning- which seems to necessitate a new scale?
The terms 'Level .5' (or 'Level 1/2') or 'level 0' appear misleading.

In what way do those appear misleading ? How would you implement a new scale?

TazCrystal
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

31 May 2019, 10:00 pm

I have level 2 Autism and I get a lot of support it seems. I'm 22 and I can't drive. I like cars though. I walk to a lot of places. I have a lot of issues with talking and socializing. I don't quite know what they are, all I know is that people think I am very weird.

I live in a group home. I have good personal hygiene. Its almost an obsession for me. I love showers and I like brushing my teeth. I wash my hands at least 14 times a day. I don't need to be reminded about that. I need more help with behavioral stuff and social stuff.

I was in regular classes in school but with modifications. I have horrible planning skills. I had trouble with big assignments. I also have trouble with following instructions. I zone out a lot.

I never go out alone. People say I seem to be in my own world most of the time.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2019, 12:17 am

Most of the people in my support group are level one; I am level two. While they need help finding work or finding places to make friends, they are generally independent; they are typically marginally successful once they get a job and seem to need little in the way of accommodations or supports in the workplace. Generally they just come across as kind of quirky, and only need a little help with the bigger areas of life.

For myself, I'm on SSDI and only work 10.5 hours a week because that's all I can handle. I'm not scheduled in the mornings because they're too chaotic and loud for me. At my previous job as a social worker (which I had to quit and was on the brink of being fired from, because I was having severe meltdowns on a bi-weekly basis which frequently involved police and/or paramedics) I had a lot of supports; my job coaches and my OT all came to my office at least once a month, I had a weighted blanket and headphones, and was allowed to leave and take a break whenever I needed, including during meetings. One of my co-workers always went with me to any trainings because they always took place in a major city, and I can't drive on the interstate, or through major metropolitan areas due to my anxiety and poor directionality.

Supports that I need in my daily life include reminders and prompts about eating regularly and making healthy decisions. I also need reminders to maintain my hygiene, like taking regular showers and brushing my teeth in the mornings, as well as help with cleaning and organising. Grocery shopping is another big issue. I can pop into a shop for one or two items if I need them, but I'm hopeless at any form of meal planning, putting together a grocery list, budgeting, etc., and stores are so overwhelming for me sensory-wise that I don't have it in me to do a lot of wandering around looking for things.

I'm struggling right now because I don't have the above-mentioned supports; my team of therapists is still helping me find a place that will provide in-home services. I think some sort of supported living or group home situation would be good for me, but I'd struggle a lot to deal with roommates I didn't know, especially those with their own challenges.

Generally, it's less about the types of services that any particular level is eligible for that another level isn't, and more about what one level needs that another doesn't.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2019, 3:33 am

For me as a recently diagnosed Aspie the only care plan I have is via the mental health side of things . That care plan clearly states the care I need is to help keep me living independently in my flat.

I also had a care act assessment ,which will be a yearly thing . I had no help in Essex , apart from when my stepdaughter came every 6 months or so and blitz cleaned my flat. That lack of help, is fairly typical if you are not an immediate danger to yourself or others and have no family close at hand to advocate for you. If you're functioning at all,however inadequately, that's good enough.

Apart from once in 8 years from when I was put on the depot in 2009,when they came round because I was late for my depot, no one from MH services ever visited my flat while I lived in Essex.

The only ever other was once in 2002 when my wife was still alive and I'd reported I was suicidal.

My stepdaughter really pushed to make it clear I had care needs. I was getting cleaning help from a care agency and help with cooking and shopping. I was also getting prompting about having a bath or shower.

It was not worked out that I needed to pay for a good number of months hence when they did I was hit with a massive bill. My stepdaughter stopped the care agency support and the person doing the cleaning was hired privately instead . That reduced costs per hour, but also meant I was getting fewer hours support.

My stepdaughter now takes me shopping. She usually,or if not one of my granddaughters, comes to appointments with me. She's the added person when it comes to dealings with the electric/gas/ housing association people etc.

I'm still quite messy ie stuff strewn across the coffee table and settee but it's confined to a much smaller area rather than the whole place looking like a bomb's hit it. Moving here and downsizing was the best thing I did.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2019, 9:29 am

BaronHarkonnen85 wrote:
I'm Level 2 and can drive.

I also wasn't diagnosed until I was an adult. Granted, some teachers in elementary school suspected some kind of issue. According to my grandmother, who is not a reliable source, they thought I was ret*d. Something tells me she interpreted "developmental disability" as ret*d. That sounds like something she would do. Ironically, I've noticed she has some symptoms herself, despite not being diagnosed.

Something tells me my parents and grandparents ignored it and lived in denial.

When I tried telling my mother that something was wrong with me, she didn't want to believe me. I begged her to send me to a doctor but she wouldn't.

I had to save my own christmas/birthday money for 3 years and buy my own health insurance to get a diagnoses.

I should have said most at least those I know of had something noticeably wrong with them from an early age. Sometimes it gets called brain damage or retardation depending on when and where the person was born.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2019, 9:34 am

I myself started out as level 3 until age 8 when I started becoming responsive enough to eventually get moved to level 2. But I am still a bit in the shadow of lv 3 so to speak.

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2019, 7:16 pm

In my case, I am not obviously autistic. I am level 1 for autism symptoms, on disability and haven't learned how to drive yet. Currently, I am in the process for getting assistance to work (no previous work experience). I definitely improved socially in vocational testing last month. Accommodations are recommended in order for me to be successful in both the working environment and (surprisingly, modifications in) potential schooling.

Generally, I am quite independent at home (I live with family and can cook a few things). I no longer have a mood disorder, but do have impaired adaptive functioning. Sometimes, I need simplified verbal explanations and directions, as my working memory is low.