Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2019, 7:13 pm

Politics and News has become my new Aspie Obsession. I hate it! :|

The Spades teach us to conquer all we claim.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2019, 7:17 pm

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY wrote:

Forget about the news, and take up knitting.

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2019, 7:19 pm

naturalplastic wrote:

Forget about the news, and take up knitting.

I cant knit...

Maybe I should get into retro video games? :)

Or old horror movies? :)

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2019, 7:21 pm

I mean if you don't liek it don't do it also from my understanding shouldn't ithave tobe something you like and are interested in? I mean what?

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2019, 7:29 pm

Pieplup wrote:
I mean if you don't liek it don't do it also from my understanding shouldn't ithave tobe something you like and are interested in? I mean what?

I don't think you understand how it works... An obsession isn't always something you "like".

I'm sure Aspies can obsess over things they hate too.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2019, 7:39 pm

Pieplup wrote:

I don't think you understand how it works... An obsession isn't always something you "like".

I mean like i've obsessed over negative things but it never became an obsession. I mean from my point of view a special interest is a copying mechanismand therefore should be positive. that's just how. I feel. I mean there is defintily a difference between obsessing over smoething and having an obsession.

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2019, 7:44 pm

Pieplup wrote:
Pieplup wrote:

I mean like i've obsessed over negative things but it never became an obsession. I mean from my point of view a special interest is a copying mechanismand therefore should be positive. that's just how. I feel. I mean there is defintily a difference between obsessing over smoething and having an obsession.

I don't understand what you're saying.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2019, 8:34 pm

Pieplup wrote:

I think they would call that OCD. Aspies like their obsessions, if you don't like yours, that is when a medical expert would call it OCD. Just speaking of my personal experience.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2019, 8:38 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Pieplup wrote:

I think they would call that OCD. Aspies like their obsessions, if you don't like yours, that is when a medical expert would call it OCD. Just speaking of my personal experience.

Oh ok. I do have OCD but I thought that was a symptom of Aspergers?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2019, 8:55 pm

. Take doorknobs for example.

If you obsess on doorknobs because you have the compulsion to wash them and spray them with disinfectant constantly because you are afraid of "catching germs" from the door knobs then you have an ocd type of obsession with doorknobs.

If you obsess on doorknobs because you ...just think that they are cool. And you collect loose doorknobs, and have a box, drawer, closet, or room, full of loose doorknobs, and you by large coffee table picture books about doorknobs, and you bore folks to death at parties monologuing about the history, the evolution, and the endless variety of....doorknobs, the you have an aspie type obsession with doorknobs.

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2019, 9:01 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
If you obsess on doorknobs because you have the compulsion to wash them and spray them with disinfectant constantly because you are afraid of "catching germs" from the door knobs then you have an ocd type of obsession with doorknobs.

If you obsess on doorknobs because you ...just think that they are cool. And you collect loose doorknobs, and have a box, drawer, closet, or room, full of loose doorknobs, and you by large coffee table picture books about doorknobs, and you bore folks to death at parties monologuing about the history, the evolution, and the endless variety of....doorknobs, the you have an aspie type obsession with doorknobs.

I could care less about doorknobs, but I do have an ocd thing about always shutting doors behind me. I can't stand to be in a room with a door or a window curtain open.

I also obsess on The Golden Girls. I could tell you literally EVERYTHING about that show and I'm always annoying people with quotes from the show.

As for obsessing about politics and news even though I hate that crap because it depresses me, I just don't get it. :shrug:

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2019, 9:07 pm

Golden girls is an aspie obsession.

Shutting doors - maybe ocd. I had something like that when I was a teen. But more like a tick, or maybe a stim. When I walked down the hall way to my room I HAD to tap each corner of the wall on the way. If my hand missed its target and had to stop and back up and hit that corner. After a year or so of it Mom made me clean the accumulated oily marks on the wall from my skin with 409 after a while. Gradually outgrew it.

I would call your door thing a stim. Unless you have some sense that "something bad will happen" if you leave the door or window open. That "something bad happening" would be textbook OCD.

The news. Hard to say. But I would say that its more OCD than aspergers.

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2019, 9:14 pm

Maybe building witchy altars like this was an OCD thing?

I no longer believe in wicca/witchcraft btw. It was just a phase I guess

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2019, 9:27 pm

League_Girl wrote:

In general an autistic special interest is pleasant whereas an OCD obsession is unpleasant, but that distinction can get a little fuzzy when the focus of your obsession has both pleasant and unpleasant aspects. Example: For over a year now, my main obsession has been reading up on ASD and the history and politics of the autism community.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2019, 9:37 pm

Highly UN likely to be OCD, unless you were terrified of NOT building the altars because you had the notion that something bad would happen to you if you didn't build them.

Most folks who get the fever to build something, or create something because of some esoteric interest driving it do so out of an aspie type obsession.

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2019, 9:45 pm

naturalplastic wrote:

Highly UN likely to be OCD, unless you were terrified of NOT building the altars because you had the notion that something bad would happen to you if you didn't build them.

Most folks who get the fever to build something, or create something because of some esoteric interest driving it do so out of an aspie type obsession.

Well I did used to think that I would be cursed with very bad luck if I ever added anything to my altar that I felt shouldn't be on there.