Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2019, 7:46 am

On Sunday I bought a pork joint that will do me till Wednesday . I bought 2 stir fry packs to have some pork with. The other 2 days I was intending to have the pork with sweet potato wedges and microwaveable veg.

I’ve been thrown because,bless them, my 2 granddaughters have brought plates of potatoes and veg to have with the pork .

It was kind of them but It has thrown me. I will have the second plate with pork today. The stir fry I will have tomorrow as that’s its use by date.

That leaves the two packets of microwave veg and the tray of sweet potato wedges. The wedges have a use by date of today and the veg tomorrow and Thursday.

I don’t do well adjusting to a change of circumstance. Cognitive flexibility is not a strong point.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2019, 8:21 am

Most at the time I can't, though I do try yet it's frustrating.
I can take it when there are no heads up and have to shift onto another.
But not at parts where acting upon beyond settling down, and almost never do thinking several steps ahead of that. Let alone lead or take control.

Yet there are days that I suddenly do, in quick rapid succession too and no confusions or frustrations.
Everything just flows, and it's Iike having this mental frame on my head of where and when to's are held up and put together in a clear picture, and I'm no longer navigating 'blind', directionless or uncertain on every after-changes.
Having a real ability to lead like a real capable adult, capable of adjusting and getting along with those changes on the spot...
I really wish it stays like this yet it just doesn't.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Last edited by Edna3362 on 11 Jun 2019, 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2019, 8:28 am

Freeze them.

This solves all my cognitive flexibility problems with food going out of date due to changes.

Well it doesn't solve them , it hides them :twisted:

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2019, 8:38 am

They all say 'Don't freeze' .

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2019, 8:46 am

"Use by dates" and "date codes" for food are only an approximation focused primarily on taste and nutritional value.

Manufacturers provide dating to help consumers and retailers decide when food is of best quality. Factors including the length of time and the temperature at which a food is held during distribution and offered for sale, the characteristics of the food, and the type of packaging will affect how long a product will be of optimum quality. A “Use-By" date is the last date recommended for the use of the product while at peak quality. It is not a safety date except for when used on infant formula as described below.

Source: Food Product Dating

Personally from a safety aspect, I wouldn't be too concerned. I tend to use my sight, taste, smell to assess the quality of food that I eat. If it smells bad or taste funny or I can see mold growing on it, then I throw it away. Grocery stores will discount meat that is nearing their date code. I generally buy this meat and eat it. Been doing it for years. I have even eaten beans that my wife and I canned over 20 years before. And I am still alive. I am 70 now. So I think you will be safe.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2019, 8:48 am

firemonkey wrote:
They all say 'Don't freeze' .

propaganda :twisted: :lol:

I thought you could freeze just about anything :?:

Sorry , don't have any fixes if the food is unfreezable unless you have double helpings :twisted:

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

strings
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Jun 2019, 8:49 am

In my experience, the "use by" and "don't freeze" labels can be ignored. A friend of mine was visiting last year and found a pack of buffalo mince in my freezer with a "sell by 2003" label. We cooked it up into a spaghetti bolognese alle bufala, and it was delicious. 15 years in the freezer, and still good to eat.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2019, 8:51 am

There's a good reason why they put expiry dates in food. I would go by them, most of the time, if I were you.

Yes, there are exceptions. Yes, you can freeze things for years.

But, still....err on the side of caution.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2019, 8:53 am

Neuroplasticity

It's hard for me to deal with change

Hold grudges

Living in the past

:mrgreen:

The older I get the worse it gets

No school, no work, almost no friends

:mrgreen:

Asked counselor Jeanne Courtney about it

First she thought I said "neurodiversity" instead of "neuroplasticity". Then I asked if I should try new things. She answered :nerdy: not if it causes you anxiety :twisted:

Expand comfort zone

Sometimes anxiety is worth it

Masters in psychology

She did not know what she was talking about

Everything causes me anxiety

Social anxiety Disorder

Autism

Depression

The world is a torture chamber, :evil: :mrgreen: not a playground :D :ninja:

dyadiccounterpoint
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Jun 2019, 9:16 am

On the broader point about flexibility:

I will end up eating the same meals every day and wearing the same short cycle of clothes (typically those the top of the pile). I go for meals which require the least time organization/preparation because I have a very real risk of going without eating until I am at crisis and absolutely have to do it if the item requires preparation. Things like nuts, yogurt, and canned goods are good for me because of these issues. If I'm eating at home, I'll typically stand and walk around while I eat.

I noticed eventually that I developed a habit of routine within the first 2 weeks of an alteration in living situation and changing that routine would become an enormous feat.

One time I didn't have the internet for a few weeks at a new place and would sit outside and think to pass the time. Even when I got the internet, I had difficulties breaking that pattern and would just keep sitting outside and thinking.

We seldom realize, for example, that our most private thoughts and emotions are not actually our own. For we think in terms of languages and images which we did not invent, but which were given to us by our society - Alan Watts