Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

asalem
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Jun 2019, 3:22 pm

I am finally thinking about getting diagnosed although I have no health insurance. I live in the Cincinnati/dayton area. What are some recommendations in going about this with no insurance. What are the steps to do this? Please guide me. I have no idea where to start.

PoseyBuster88
Toucan
Toucan

17 Jun 2019, 4:05 pm

No specific tips for an ASD diagnosis, but as far as medical costs in general, ask them if they do payment plans and if there is a discount available if you pay in full up front. Depending on the options they give, you may opt for one or the other or choose one provider over another.

Also, keep in mind that doctors CAN set their own prices...and give discounts if they want. So always check to see if it's available. And shop around and get prices from multiple doctors if you can.

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2019, 4:25 pm

Prices can range from $800-$2,500, so shop around. I'm not sure if you need a referral, but I can't see why an independent psychologist phd would turn you down if you were just wanting to be tested.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2019, 8:03 pm

Are you currently employed? If you are not or if you are very underemployed, find the Office of Vocational Rehabilitation in your area and contact them. They might be able to get you diagnosed for free. That is how I was able to get my diagnosis. I got a complete and thorough diagnosis from the department head neuropsychologist that my OVR group works with and it was completely free to me. OVR paid for all of it. I also had no insurance at the time.

Wreck It Ralph

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2019, 8:18 pm

Universities sometimes give free assessments if you are willing to participate in a study.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

asalem
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Jun 2019, 8:41 pm

skibum wrote:
Are you currently employed? If you are not or if you are very underemployed, find the Office of Vocational Rehabilitation in your area and contact them. They might be able to get you diagnosed for free. That is how I was able to get my diagnosis. I got a complete and thorough diagnosis from the department head neuropsychologist that my OVR group works with and it was completely free to me. OVR paid for all of it. I also had no insurance at the time.

I am but barely making ends meet. I will try that thanks

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2019, 10:31 pm

If you have not done so already, contact the Autism Society of Greater Cincinnati, the Autism Society of Dayton, and/or the Autism Society of Ohio, regarding possible inexpensive options for adult diagnosis.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2019, 10:37 pm

Persephone29 wrote:
Prices can range from $800-$2,500, so shop around. I'm not sure if you need a referral, but I can't see why an independent psychologist phd would turn you down if you were just wanting to be tested.

It's possible to get diagnosed for as little as a few hundred dollars, which can be stretched out over a series of appointments over several months if need be, if you can find a place where psychology grad student interns or "externs" work under the direction of a fully credentialed psychotherapist. There tend to be very long waiting lists for this kind of thing, however.

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2019, 9:21 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
Persephone29 wrote:

It's possible to get diagnosed for as little as a few hundred dollars, which can be stretched out over a series of appointments over several months if need be, if you can find a place where psychology grad student interns or "externs" work under the direction of a fully credentialed psychotherapist. There tend to be very long waiting lists for this kind of thing, however.

:o Good to know!

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.