You May Be NT (Whatever it means) If...

Page 1 of 8 [ 114 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2019, 9:59 am

May as well add an NT slanted thread... Can't actually think of examples except... "You seem to like crowded places and seem to like places like football matches or parties etc...

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2019, 10:09 am

LOL....I don't like crowds----but I do like all sports.

You may be NT: if you feel like you're abandoning somebody in a social situation to go somewhere else----even though that somebody really wants to be alone for a while, and doesn't feel abandoned at all.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2019, 10:44 am

You May Be Neurotypical If...

... you ask yourself, "Why do they use 'Neurotypical' when 'Normal' is more accurate?"

... you call in an Aspie kid to fix your computer.

... you forward the "You May Be An Aspie If..." thread to 200 of your closest friends.

... you have no idea what the Aspie kid fixing your computer just said.

... you quickly click back to the "You May Be An Aspie If..." thread.

... you say to yourself, "None of the posts in this thread are funny at all!"

... you worry about what that Aspie kid has done to your computer, even though it's working flawlessly.

... you worry when someone gives you "The Silent Treatment".

... your musical tastes can be summed up in one word: "LOUD".

... your spouse says, "Correct me if I'm wrong", and you don't.

:D

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2019, 11:10 am

Working full time does not emotionally drain you

You like to look at strangers

You know so many celebrity trivia, even if you're not that interested

You get invited out with your colleagues if they're around your age

You go to bars and clubs and get drunk and think it's wonderful, or if you're older you have memories of going to bars and clubs and getting drunk

You believe that you haven't lived if you have never been drunk or clubbing

You get admired by Joe90 if you don't like the clubbing scene or have never been drunk (also you are RARE)

You think turning things into a sex-related joke is side-splittingly funny

You are drawn to the loudest person in the group, and think they are fantastic even if they're not

You expect everybody to be the same

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2019, 12:32 pm

... every group you join is led by people of your neurotype, and no one else seems concerned.

... no one has ever assumed that the best place for you to live is an institution.

... no one has ever blamed you for being bullied.

... no one has ever expressed how they pity your parents for having you.

... no one sees your neurology as needing elimination or cure.

... people encourage you to try again after a failure.

... people presume that you are intellectually competent.

... people talk to you as if you are a rational adult with feelings.

... people understand why you get upset without having to ask you.

... people with your neurotype are not generally considered burdensome to their families or to taxpayers.

... prospective parents want their children to be just like you.

... most people who make the laws of your nation share your neurotype.

... the police have never become alarmed at your natural body language.

... the services that you need to survive not only already exist, but even if you use those services on a regular basis, you will still be considered independent.

... you are called a 'creep' only when you act 'creepy'.

... you are in control of your life.

... you are not considered more dangerous and more likely to commit a crime because of your neurotype.

... you attended classes in the same room as people your own age.

... you can ask for technical or social support on the job without being labeled as a troublemaker or charity case.

... you can discuss your interests at length without this being viewed as a 'symptom' of your neurotype.

... you can reveal your neurotype to your boss and coworkers without fear of losing my job.

... you can use your own car to go where you want, when you want.

... you do not have to carry a special card or bracelet that explains your natural body movements or the sounds you naturally make.

... you do not have to fear that important decisions about your life will be made by others who are considered more qualified based solely on their neurotype.

... you do not need to provide documentation to prove that you need help performing any task.

... you do not worry that you doctor will dismiss your medical problems as part of a neuro-disability.

... you have chosen a life partner who has also chosen you.

... you have never been rejected for medical insurance due to your neurotype.

... you have never been told that you are incapable of feeling pain due to your neurotype.

... you have never been told that you should not have children lest you pass on the genes that cause them to share your neurotype.

... you received the same academic education that most of your peers received, instead of learning non-academic 'skills' like how to sort buttons or match shapes.

... you were never forced to accept seclusion rooms, restraints, or neuro-enhancing drugs as conditions of your educational experience.

... you were never punished for being clumsy, forgetful, or focused on one thing to the exclusion of everything else.

... you were 'taught' in school, not 'trained'.

... you would not be blamed for your own murder.

... your failure to understand autistic people is attributed to them, not to you.

... your family, friends, and significant others were never told that you are incapable of relating to other human beings due to your neurotype.

... your opinions on social mores and societal issues are not dismissed based on your neurotype or on the assumption that you are incapable of understanding how these things work.

... when you are unhappy, people have never assumed your unhappiness was the result of your neurotype.

... when you are visibly upset, people generally assume something must have upset you, and will generally try to help you.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

dyadiccounterpoint
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Jun 2019, 1:12 pm

The subtext of flirting and dating came naturally to you and is obvious.

You get stress relief from large gatherings of people engaging in spontaneous discourse.

You tend to share the interests and beliefs of your immediate social environment to adapt, probably subconsciously.

You deceive and manipulate people as an internalized "learned behavior."

You naturally understand how to filter your statements to avoid conflict or dislike.

You can multi-task the basic maintenance of life without great effort.

Conversation is about building good feelings, not exchanging information, and you prefer it that way.

You learn the minimum to adequately compete in your station in society, lacking an innate curiosity and not overly questioning reality. Why keep studying after graduating high school or university? Isn't that boring?!?!?

You never seriously question your own cognitive biases and use of fallacious reasoning.

Those last 2 are less about NT's in particular and more personal gripes about certain kinds of people, to be honest.

We seldom realize, for example, that our most private thoughts and emotions are not actually our own. For we think in terms of languages and images which we did not invent, but which were given to us by our society - Alan Watts

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2019, 1:18 pm

A lot of these apply to me... to be fair I did an online test about being aspie (I was diagnosed as a kid but I'm self obsessed and people were passing it around) and apparently I'm 'borderline'.

Anyway

You say 'you shouldn't have' about someone getting you a gift or doing something nice for you then when they don't do it again, you get offended.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2019, 2:37 pm

You can walk up to a group of colleagues at work and just jump into their conversation, without being accused of being nosy, intrusive or annoying

You find yourself being drawn to certain people (which makes them popular) and you don't really know why

As a female NT you feel the need to dye your hair, even if your hair is already a nice colour

You judge females if they don't shave their legs when wearing shorts or skirts. You feel the need to humiliate them and let them know about it

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2019, 3:39 pm

... being yourself is as natural to you as blinking and breathing.

... it takes no effort at all for you to impress someone else.

... the appearance of others means more to you than their behavior when evaluating their worth.

... the hierarchy of a new social group is immediately apparent to you.

... you recover quickly from personal setbacks.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2019, 3:48 pm

Quote:
... being yourself is as natural to you as blinking and breathing.

... it takes no effort at all for you to impress someone else.

... the appearance of others means more to you than their behavior when evaluating their worth.

I don't know what type of neurotypicals you're around, but I do know that neurotypicals have to make a bit of an effort to some extent, it's just as hard as it can be for Aspies. Some neurotypicals act differently at home than they do at work, for example.
Also they don't go by appearance, it's more about how socially skilled one is. I know some unattractive people who dress like a tramp who are popular because they have that way about them, their persona.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2019, 3:48 pm

Fnord. Something you put made me chuckle as an elderly lady I know who has a gypsy upbringing and way of life in the past. She is so straight to the point and amusing at times. You mentioned about being yourself. If I said that to her she would say "Well who else can you be?" I may have said it in the past or something like that. :D

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2019, 3:54 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
Fnord. Something you put made me chuckle as an elderly lady I know who has a gypsy upbringing and way of life in the past. She is so straight to the point and amusing at times. You mentioned about being yourself. If I said that to her she would say "Well who else can you be?" I may have said it in the past or something like that.
When I was a kid, the phrase "Be yourself..." carried the subtext of "... but not that way". Also, it happened often that when I tried to "be myself" people would tell me to stop acting like someone else (usually by name).

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2019, 4:05 pm

... it does not upset you if your daily routine is distrubed or interrupted completely.

... you become anxious when forced to be alone.

... you do not notice sound that others find irritating.

... you enjoy new situations and meeting new people.

... you enjoy social occasions to the exclusion of other interests.

... you never get so strongly absorbed in one thing that you lose sight of other things.

... you prefer to do things spontaneously, rather than plan them out in detail.

... you tend to ignore details that others do not.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2019, 4:10 pm

You are acutely aware of what other people are feeling.

You take as obvious that people who do not engage in much social activity are hurting bad and you insist on setting up social activities for them in order to save them.

You may or may not like the games people play but you understand the unwritten rules and why they are important.

You do not identify or describe yourself as "neurotypical", "NT", or "allistic".

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2019, 4:21 pm

... imitating others is your natural survival mode.

... you are easily drawn in to the same emotional state as those around you.

... you quickly adapt to changes in fashion and acceptable social behavior.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2019, 4:53 pm

When you're told that someone is autistic , you question the fact that they don't look & act like 'rainman' and think calling them 'rainman' is hilarious.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard