Page 1 of 5 [ 80 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2016, 3:55 pm

My mom says I am tenacious and she acts shocked when I told her I went to Disney on Ice all by myself so I got up at five in the morning and drove in the snow all the way to Spokane from Montana going like 25 MPH and then once the roads cleared up, I went faster because I could see the road lines now instead of it being all white. She told me most people would not do that and there are people that won't even go to Seattle from Portland by themselves and she told me they are scared and most people won't travel alone, even if it's a few hours away. Since being on my own and having a car I have always gone to places alone and would travel to Spokane sometimes every few months but now I don't do those things anymore because of kids and money and work. That is the only thing that stops me. And this surprises me about lot of people because they are "normal" but yet won't travel alone and it wouldn't be considered an impairment or be considered having a hard time functioning in life. Even other people at my old job in Montana have acted surprised and I didn't know what the big deal was and my mom told me then lot of people wouldn't do what I did. They would be too scared and they prefer to go with someone.

Does anyone else do this?

I am not trying to imply this is an autism thing to travel alone without a problem and not be scared to go alone even if it's local traveling.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2016, 4:46 pm

I have often traveled alone. But now I am elderly and disabled, and would certainly hesitate to do so, since I fear I am seen (correctly) as vulnerable to criminals.

Friends and relatives whom I visited on one of my trips, would ask me to phone them when I got to that day's destination. I really disliked doing that. It seemed they wanted me to make their anxiety my anxiety.

Reflect that for some gals, going to the restroom in a restaurant alone is apparently a challenge! I've never understood that.

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2016, 4:55 pm

My mum always laments; "Why does no-one dress up to travel any more? People used to dress up when they travelled." LOL defo a generational thing that one.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2016, 5:01 pm

My longest drive alone was 700 miles to Ohio.

The most complicated was flying to Phoenix, driving North to the Grand Canyon, and doing a half day hike. Not on the same day.

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2016, 5:01 pm

I went to New York by myself on a train once when I was 14. I didn't like it a lot, because I was really scared and lonely the whole time. Some of that may have been because of my age, but I would definitely prefer to have somebody with me when I go places. I've missed out on a lot of things though because of my need to have someone with me. I should get better at traveling alone, however, so I could go to more concerts and comic conventions.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2016, 9:53 pm

As long as I have GPS I don't feel afraid traveling alone. I flew out to Nova Scotia myself and drove 8.5 hours to Fort Wayne Indiana myself, didn't bother me.

These days I have no where to go and am too sick to go anywhere. I barely leave my own house, but that is due my sh***y health and not fear.

Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2016, 5:48 pm

I've traveled alone several times. Of the most notable distances, when I was 18, I drove from So Cal to Vegas for a concert and drove back the same night. Since I have family in the airline business and get free flights, there have also been multiple instances when I've flown out of state by myself to attend a concert or festival and then crashed at either the airport or a motel and went back the next day.

I actually like traveling alone. I guess I just like the adventurousness of it all.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2016, 5:53 pm

I don't travel alone because I can't drive and I wouldn't know what to do to board a train or plane.

adoylelb90815
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Dec 2016, 11:33 pm

I often drive or fly from southern California to Las Vegas to visit my mom, and the majority of the time, I'm by myself. In the car, I can listen to whatever music I want on Pandora or the iPad and when I fly on Jet Blue, I can watch whatever I want on their free cable TV system for the hour I'm in the air.

The nice thing about driving is that if I want to take little side trips, I'm able to. I even felt like a Hollywood stunt driver this summer during monsoon season in Vegas when I had to get around a flooded street by driving on the median. The reason that was such a great feeling is that I managed to keep my cool the entire time when someone else might have had a panic attack.

The_Dark_Citadel
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Dec 2016, 11:56 pm

No. It would be impossible for me to travel solo. But it's not like I can't go where I wish to, just have to have someone accompanying.

Moccu
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Dec 2016, 12:07 am

I haven't travelled alone by plane, I just feel it's safer to travel with someone and have somebody to talk to along the way.

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2016, 12:44 am

I've travelled alone to see my best friend several times. And I'll also be going abroad alone for the first time this coming March.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2016, 2:28 pm

Went backpacking round south East Asia on my own. Love being on my own.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2016, 2:37 pm

Mother was also an aspie, and she camped in a small van for half the year for decades. I usually travel alone, including a major bicycle tour in a foreign country. I didn't always recognize a dangerous situation, but that confidence probably made people hesitant to mess with me. For dangerous weather on highways, I take ample survival supplies.

xmh
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Dec 2016, 6:56 pm

I have- from the UK to Mallorca, Spain and to Germany. I don’t speak any languages other than English.

The former was an organised study trip (I traveled by myself but was with fellow students, who I had not met before, for most of time I was awake).

The latter was entirely by myself with only my, long distance, travel and accommodation pre-arranged. I enjoyed it but found the evenings (particularly meal time) the more difficult parts of the day as that is when the being alone becomes a lot more of an issue (eating in public alone feels, to me, very sad).

If my work/finance situation improves I would probably take a few more trips but only for a few days each. For me a leisure trip would not involve a lot of driving.

owenc
Raven
Raven

13 Dec 2016, 7:30 pm

Yes, frequently. I attend university 500 miles from home so I have to take multiple forms of transport to get home.

I typically go home once a month so I would travel long distance twice by plane twice a month.

The journey home (if anyone is interested) is 6 hours... It involves 30 minutes of a bus ride, 2 hours on a train (with a change) and then a wait at the airport followed by an hour flight.

It doesn't usually bother me.. The only thing I request is an aisle or window seat so that I am not in between two passengers in the middle seat.. I occasionally purchase an emergency exit legroom seat if I am anxious.

Traveling alone is usually fine if you are in a crowded area surrounded by people. Keeping a wide look out is the only thing that I would suggest you do.