Don't understand or don't give a damn?

Page 2 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Dan_Undiagnosed
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2019, 9:58 pm

I think when I was younger if I thought something was stupid I would at least openly question it, if not outright criticise it. But I guess over time you learn that everybody seems to be headed in the same direction and if you don't want to look weird or stand out you go with the current, not against it.
Sometimes I just have to get up and leave the room though if someone is watching something dumb on TV. And top 40 radio just absolutely f*****g grates on me. If I'm stuck in a situation like that then I'll at least poke fun at the show or the music and try to make someone with me laugh.
I've found that I judge myself for these feelings more than looking down on them though. Majority rules, and so what the average person finds suitable or entertaining is "normal" and those of us who deviate are the weird ones. So these feelings of mocking and judgement of the status quo would cause me to feel guilty and even arrogant.
That guilt has in turn led me to have greater patience. Until recently I was working with a guy that would show me the most brain dead forms of internet humour from the most "normie" of places like Facebook. I mean stuff that I could feel just draining my IQ points and soul. But I'd let him show me to play nice. It sucks that I can't show most people the stupid, obscure/absurdist memes and references that I find funny.

Lone Replicant
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Jun 2019, 10:05 pm

Dan_Undiagnosed wrote:
I think when I was younger if I thought something was stupid I would at least openly question it, if not outright criticise it. But I guess over time you learn that everybody seems to be headed in the same direction and if you don't want to look weird or stand out you go with the current, not against it.
Sometimes I just have to get up and leave the room though if someone is watching something dumb on TV. And top 40 radio just absolutely f*****g grates on me. If I'm stuck in a situation like that then I'll at least poke fun at the show or the music and try to make someone with me laugh.
I've found that I judge myself for these feelings more than looking down on them though. Majority rules, and so what the average person finds suitable or entertaining is "normal" and those of us who deviate are the weird ones. So these feelings of mocking and judgement of the status quo would cause me to feel guilty and even arrogant.
That guilt has in turn led me to have greater patience. Until recently I was working with a guy that would show me the most brain dead forms of internet humour from the most "normie" of places like Facebook. I mean stuff that I could feel just draining my IQ points and soul. But I'd let him show me to play nice. It sucks that I can't show most people the stupid, obscure/absurdist memes and references that I find funny.

For the most part, you've practically just condensed my life.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2019, 3:54 am

Twilightprincess wrote:
I don’t like getting bogged down in insignificant details that don’t matter. KISS (keep it simple, stupid!).

Imposter!
How can you call yourself an Autie?

Anyway, here is a song for you. :wink: :

https://youtu.be/rFugRFKqjFg

<sing>
Quote:
Went to a garden party to reminisce with my old friends
A chance to share old memories and play our songs again
When I got to the garden party, they all knew my name
No one recognized me, I didn't look the same

But it's all right now, I learned my lesson well.
You see, ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself

People came from miles around, everyone was there
Yoko brought her walrus, there was magic in the air
And over in the corner, much to my surprise
Mr. Hughes hid in Dylan's shoes wearing his disguise

Played them all the old songs, thought that's why they came
No one heard the music, we didn't look the same
I said hello to "Mary Lou", she belongs to me
When I sang a song about a honky-tonk, it was time to leave

Someone opened up a closet door and out stepped Johnny B. Goode
Playing guitar like a-ringin' a bell and lookin' like he should
If you gotta play at garden parties, I wish you a lotta luck
But if memories were all I sang, I rather drive a truck

And it's all right now, learned my lesson well
You see, ya can't please everyone, so you got to please yourself

Source: LyricFind
Songwriters: Ricky Nelson

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

24 Jun 2019, 4:08 am

I often don't even notice these tiny stupid things people think or do.
Why do all the children costumes at kintergarten parties look almost the same? How do other parents make an unspoken agreements on it?
No idea, I must be missing something. Or they are missing creativity.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

JD12345
Toucan
Toucan

24 Jun 2019, 5:14 am

IstominFan wrote:
I don't like the stupid or cheap, either, especially when it comes to popular culture. Most of it is inane and some is nauseating. I feel no compulsion whatsoever to conform to that. I will proudly champion Denis Istomin or Rafael Nadal and be an unapologetic tennis fan, even though tennis isn't popular with the majority.

Popular culture is a concept that I'm quite dubious about. Many people just don't seem to grasp that taste is fundamentally individual, rather than collective. It's particularly grating when there are attempts to 'assign' a taste to a particular group (for example, if you're male you must like this, if you're young you must like that, if you're from that part of the world you must be an expert on such and such), and anyone within that said group who doesn't fit in with the crude stereotype is seen to be a rabid eccentric or weirdo.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2019, 9:29 am

It's easy to care about others. The hard part is knowing the difference between people who really need the help that I can give, and those whose 'helplessness' is merely a well-rehearsed act.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2019, 1:50 pm

Marknis wrote:
I used to want to help others but I got stabbed in the back too many times.

Have you considered visiting a Red Cross blood donation site to give blood? It's an anonymous one-time thing that you can do every 60 days.

I've been a blood donor since I was 18 and I feel great whenever the donation process is complete knowing the fact that I helped someone without being identified by the person who was helped.

bmasters1981
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Jul 2019, 4:04 am

JD12345 wrote:
Popular culture is a concept that I'm quite dubious about. Many people just don't seem to grasp that taste is fundamentally individual, rather than collective. It's particularly grating when there are attempts to 'assign' a taste to a particular group (for example, if you're male you must like this, if you're young you must like that, if you're from that part of the world you must be an expert on such and such), and anyone within that said group who doesn't fit in with the crude stereotype is seen to be a rabid eccentric or weirdo.

Like if you're in your 30s, you need to learn to like everything that is new and current in television and films and music, and if your inclinations are more towards the past (60s, 70s, 80s), then something is wrong with you (like say, if you're in your late-30s [which I am], and you get more enjoyment out of The Streets of San Francisco from the 70s, than Law & Order SVU of today, some people might think you a weirdo); would that be an accurate assessment of what you're saying?

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2019, 8:36 am

JD12345 wrote:
IstominFan wrote:
I don't like the stupid or cheap, either, especially when it comes to popular culture. Most of it is inane and some is nauseating. I feel no compulsion whatsoever to conform to that. I will proudly champion Denis Istomin or Rafael Nadal and be an unapologetic tennis fan, even though tennis isn't popular with the majority.

I get letters from the bank saying stupid things like 'Dear fluffy, we at Lloyds understand your shoe obsession and

want to help you to shop as conveniently as possible'

A handful of trainers and boots isn't even a collection yet alone an obsession, but, you know, all us women are

apparently the same :?

And Father's Day cards are either sports or bear cans.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2019, 8:45 am

I would like to receive a bear can :P

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2019, 9:42 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I would like to receive a bear can :P

lol, I went looking for this

And found lots of these

Post rescue

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2019, 9:43 am

I like bears. I identify with them. I'm just as omnivorous as them LOL

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2019, 11:42 pm

One time, my mum asked me if I realized how many people still hate Germans because of WWII when she was disowning me for wanting to wear a German helmet. I realize how many people still hate Germans. I just don't care, anymore. I also still visit my mum because I refuse to let three simple colours get between the two of us. I'll destroy every wedge that gets between us while being true to myself because I'm the one who knows that family is important no matter which ancestors I take after.

JD12345
Toucan
Toucan

04 Jul 2019, 6:46 am

bmasters1981 wrote:
JD12345 wrote:

Like if you're in your 30s, you need to learn to like everything that is new and current in television and films and music, and if your inclinations are more towards the past (60s, 70s, 80s), then something is wrong with you (like say, if you're in your late-30s [which I am], and you get more enjoyment out of The Streets of San Francisco from the 70s, than Law & Order SVU of today, some people might think you a weirdo); would that be an accurate assessment of what you're saying?

Yes. The funny thing is that it's generally become more and more easy over time to access such works, first with VHS/DVD/Cassette/CD/etc, then with streaming services. Generally I find that art and literature are the areas where being interested in the classics and older works is frowned upon the least, possibly because they aren't overly 'popular' areas in themselves. Music, on the contrary, tends to be the one where there is the greatest pressure to be interested in whatever is popular at the given moment.

Dial1194
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Jul 2019, 4:12 am

Lone Replicant wrote:
What do you do when a large number of people want you to do something stupid just to please them?

Are they paying me? Would there be genuine advantages to me to do it? No? Then they can stew in their own juices while I do something I want to do instead. Life's too short to throw time away on other people's idiocies.