My Therapist Thinks I'm Too Emotional to be Aspergers.

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Lucywlf
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Jul 2019, 11:27 pm

I was diagnosed with Aspergers eight years, 5 months and three days ago, to be exact, but because I'm so emotional my therapist does not believe the diagnosis. I just lost my love and best friend of 32 years on April 3rd of this year and I basically wish I were dead too, so I'm in therapy. I got out of today's session, drove home, and basically screamed in the car before going into the house. I don't think I can take any more of this.

Alexanderplatz
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2019, 11:53 pm

I'm not qualified, and from the UK, but in this country I don't think Therapists are in a position to question a diagnosis - they are not trained enough

plokijuh
Toucan
Toucan

03 Jul 2019, 11:57 pm

I experience very strong emotions, both good and bad. Especially in grief. She must have very out of date information. It's true some people, many in fact, have flat affect, but not all.

In australia only a clinical psychologist or psychiatrist can diagnose.

AQ: 42 (Scores in the 33-50 range indicate significant Austistic traits)
RAADS-R: 165
RDOS: Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 159 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 44 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2019, 12:03 am

For a lot of autistic people, emotions are experienced very intensely. I know someone who is autistic that after the sudden death of her husband was having constant breakdowns and was non functional for months and months after his death.

I personally tend to have a detachment to my emotions, but the emotions themselves are strong. Death of people never really phased me though.

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2019, 12:10 am

I have Asperger's and I feel emotions, I just don't express them properly. The fact that I use logic to process and express them makes it seem like I don't have them, but I do. In fact in some ways I am more emotional than others: for example I feel bad for flowers on the road and want to pick them up.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2019, 12:13 am

Does this therapist know anything about it? If not, ignore that opinion. If this therapist can still help you with your emotions, I would sick with him/her.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

TimS1980
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

04 Jul 2019, 12:22 am

Like others said, that's such BS.

I guess we can't expect to always deal with people who specialize in autism, but if the ones who don't, truly understood how poorly qualified to offer some of their so-called advice, they'd hang their heads in shame.

In their defence, I'm sure they're just trying to help and don't appreciate how pervasive the NT-normative viewpoint is.

If any is wanted, these might be some good medicine:

https://youtu.be/xD_PhApr1ek

https://youtu.be/qpitsA-0pBQ

Benjamin the Donkey
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2019, 1:02 am

Get a new therapist.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2019, 1:07 am

Could this be an example of grossly misreading female autism character traits? I agree with TimS1980. I saw a PTSD therapist and even though she was definitely very qualified in that area there was such a void of understanding between us.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2019, 4:17 am

I've been told I can't be ASD because I have too much empathy.
I've also been told I can't be ADHD because I am too shy.

:roll: :?

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2019, 5:11 am

Lucywlf wrote:
I was diagnosed with Aspergers eight years, 5 months and three days ago, to be exact, but because I'm so emotional my therapist does not believe the diagnosis. I just lost my love and best friend of 32 years on April 3rd of this year and I basically wish I were dead too, so I'm in therapy. I got out of today's session, drove home, and basically screamed in the car before going into the house. I don't think I can take any more of this.

Well, I'm very autistic *and* very emotional.
I just don't let my emotional side dominate my intellectual decision making.

Benjamin the Donkey wrote:
Get a new therapist.

Sounds about right.
Doesn't hurt to get a second opinion. <shrug>

JD12345
Toucan
Toucan

04 Jul 2019, 6:44 am

That sounds like a variation on the 'you don't seem autistic'. Rather unprofessional for someone in such a position.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2019, 7:00 am

Autistics often have atypical emotions, express them atypically, at atypical times. This is not the same as having no emotions at all. Why can’t so many people get this basic difference through their thick skulls? I just expressed the emotion of anger, my ASD diagnosis given to me by a clinician with over 30 years experience must be wrong(sarcasm).

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2019, 9:08 am

Lucywif,

I'll be direct. Your therapist is an idiot. Hugs to you and my sincerest condolences on your loss. We feel loss very acutely. You need a therapist who understands you.

Uhura
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Jul 2019, 5:56 pm

It is very possible to have strong emotions and be on the spectrum. I disagree with your therapist but more importantly is what do you think? If you have already been diagnosed then you probably have it. You know yourself better than anyone else. How long have you been with this therapist? If you feel you can talk to her (him?) then just ask for help with it and say to ignore if she/he thinks the cause is related to ASD but if you haven't been with this therapist long and feel you can't talk comfortably, then I hope you can get a new one.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2019, 8:33 pm

Oh? I wish it is true in my case -- that aspergers means less emotional.

I don't like being emotional. It doesn't benefit me or anyone around me except the worst of people.

Turns out, out of every innate sensory/cognitive stuff and the lack of filter of it, I'm mainly introceptively less tolerant to the point that alexithymia would've been more beneficial in my case.
Since I somehow missed the boat to acquire the trait at some point, then I got no choice but either cure this brain fog causing confusion so I could use raw intellect on brute force-like take on emotional regulation, or gain serious levels of emotional intelligence which may or may not be possible in my lifetime regardless the circumstance.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.