Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

betty_ferret
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Jul 2019, 8:28 am

Parties suck. You have to constantly talk, you have to act chill, whatever the hell that means, and you cannot make the wrong jokes these days. So fine. I've never been to a party before. I'm 26. I'm freaking out! I bought vodka and tequila, but I probably got "the nasty stuff" as if anyone can really tell the difference. It's for a work thing, and this was after I quit my job, so it's going to be doubley awkward! I cannot WAIT! I actually think I'm going to get uninvited because I am the most annoying person I know. I will bring a deck of cards and that's it. I got smack. What are you supposed to do at a party?!?!

betty_ferret
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Jul 2019, 8:41 am

I suppose I should be thankful for being invited at all, and "just chill" right? How does one chill when they are so high strung?!

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2019, 8:48 am

Be careful not to drink too much at a work-related party, even if you quit the job. Being intoxicated can still blemish your reputation for letters of reference or networking in the future, and you don't want to say anything you might regret. I know you likely don't plan on drinking "too much", but it's easy to have one too many when you're nervous. Expect people to talk a lot. If you aren't a talker you can just listen and ask a few questions now and then. Find a place you can retreat to if you need a break, and don't feel obligated to stay very long. If you do drink, make sure you have safe transportation home.

betty_ferret
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Jul 2019, 9:02 am

I don't even drink hard liquor. I'm going to just smoke some pot and have a few beers! But it's okay, it's legal here. I AM WAY too stimulated to drink hard liquor. I just know that's what the blokes like.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2019, 9:05 am

betty_ferret wrote:
I don't even drink hard liquor. I'm going to just smoke some pot and have a few beers! But it's okay, it's legal here. I AM WAY too stimulated to drink hard liquor. I just know that's what the blokes like.

OK, that's good. I wondered about mixing tequila and vodka lol. Have a good time, and don't overthink it. Maybe ask a friend to let you know when you've reached your beer max. Sometimes other people can tell better than the person who's had a beer.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2019, 9:05 am

I never did the party or social scene in college. Social events revolved too much around alcohol and there were little or no other options. I think it is for the best that I didn't do the party scene. Even today, I don't drink alcohol in public if I plan to drive. I was a late starter in learning to drive and I don't want to compromise my driving, and my life, by doing something stupid.

betty_ferret
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Jul 2019, 9:07 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
If you do drink, make sure you have safe transportation home.

LOL as if I drive! I think either I'll have a friend pick me up, or I'll crash there because I'm sorta homeless now anyway, so whatever.

betty_ferret
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Jul 2019, 9:15 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
OK, that's good. I wondered about mixing tequila and vodka lol. Have a good time, and don't overthink it. Maybe ask a friend to let you know when you've reached your beer max. Sometimes other people can tell better than the person who's had a beer.

Sage advice. The person who invited me doesn't drink, and I think he'll look out for me. Not to mention...I am a person of high tolerance, let's just say. Thank you, though. I shall cherish this advice.