Have I wasted my life for not going to concerts ?

Page 1 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2019, 8:11 am

To be honest when I have actually been to a couple of concerts, one was Pearl Jam in Hyde Park in 2010 and another that same year was a band I don't like really but just tagged along with my dad and grandparents which was Status Quo. Since then I have never been to any live shows or concerts mainly as I've said before I have not many friends and seeing people's videos on social media of them concerts seeing the artists and bands they like does make me feel like I'm missing out the same I when people are at clubs and parties.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2019, 8:17 am

I haven't been to too many concerts myself. I don't feel I've wasted my life.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2019, 8:48 am

No, you're not wasting your life. I'm not interested in concerts, even though I do love listening to music. I don't do crowds well, especially not crowds of complete strangers.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2019, 9:11 am

I've never been to a concert in my life.

Allbymyself
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

08 Jul 2019, 9:13 am

To me personally concert seem like an awful time because you're packed in there like sardines can't really see much of anything if you didn't buy a really good tickets just to get me be a small little glimpse of your singer live singing the song that you like. No thank you I'd rather use YouTube for that.

Last concert I went to was in Vegas the guy from Poison was doing a live show down on Fremont Street for free by the time I got there it was so packed in every person I accidentally bumped into seem to want to start a fight over the fact that I accidentally bumped into them and everybody was testy and Moody. So I finally just said f it in left Fremont and went somewhere else I didn't bother with staying for the show. I could listen to every rose has its thorns on YouTube.

MissMary227
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jul 2019, 9:21 am

Some people live for live music. I am not one of them.

In fact, I prefer my music recorded. Then is sounds the best (to me), and the same every time. :)

Sandpiper
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Jul 2019, 1:13 pm

I went to a lot of concerts when I was younger, perhaps the most notable being Queen at Wembley Stadium in 1986.

I couldn't cope with the crowds now and prefer to go to small folk music gigs at a couple of local venues. They are usually very entertaining as they are far more intimate than large concerts but they aren't essential to either my life or my enjoyment of music. Most people wouldn't have a clue about the people or bands I go to see now so I don't even discuss them with anybody. I just go because I enjoy it.

If you enjoy concerts and want to go, rather than feeling that you ought to go, then fine. Otherwise, you certainly haven't wasted your life by not going.

harry12345
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jul 2019, 1:47 pm

We used to go to concerts for some of my favourite 70's bands back in the 90's and early 00's. I enjoyed them very much but it got to the point where the musicians were getting older (most of them were becoming OAP's.....) and the music whilst very good was, well, we've heard it all before...... Ticket costs were going up, band members were being replaced or taking it easy.......

So whilst they are still around, I prefer to keep my memories of the best concerts and not have them spoilt by sub-standard concerts because they are getting past it.

Plus the crowds would be too much for me now I think. It all became too much faff to go.

I do think people miss out not going to a concert of one of their favourite musicians, but I don't think it is life wasting if you don't go - maybe they haven't played locally.

I couldn't give two hoots about musicians that I don't have as my favourite musician. For instance I am sure Elton John, Madonna, Kylie and Engelbert Humperdinck produce fantastic concerts (if you like that sort of music) but I am not loosing any sleep over never going to one of them.

Edited for typo.

Last edited by harry12345 on 08 Jul 2019, 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2019, 1:52 pm

I remember going to Southend for a free concert once, in the 1990s. My sister and I saw Steps, I think Peter Andre too. :D

OP, do you want to go to a concert for the sound, or for the experience? I know an aspie bloke who works for a headphone company, and knows all about headphones. He let me try recently a £5,000 pair of headphones (along with a £3,000 pair) and the sounds on those were incredible.

George Michael's voice in "Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me" is incredibly beautiful, far more beautiful than I ever knew before. He had the most beautiful singing voice in the world, it was such a tragedy that he died.

Maybe you could join the forums or Facebook groups of some of your favourite bands and see if you can make any friends from them?

AlanMooresBeard
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Jul 2019, 3:50 pm

Have you ever thought about going to a concert by yourself if nobody else you know is interested in going? I’ve been to dozens of shows on my own that I would otherwise have missed out on and I still had a good time despite being on my own.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2019, 4:10 pm

I go by myself to concerts. You can't talk to anyone anyway when the music is loud.

I'm so jealous. I would love to see Pearl Jam.

Yes, go to more concerts! I highly recommend it. There's nothing quite like live music.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2019, 4:29 pm

hurtloam wrote:
I go by myself to concerts. You can't talk to anyone anyway when the music is loud.

I'm so jealous. I would love to see Pearl Jam.

Yes, go to more concerts! I highly recommend it. There's nothing quite like live music.

You are brave!

Though I would really like to hear Cyndi Lauper one day.. Amazing voice and and an interesting character. Not sure I would go to such a crowded place though. They also are expensive. Huge prices for tickets. Sometimes over £20.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2019, 5:31 pm

I've never been to a concert and I'm over 30. The closest I've ever been was when I went to the library to study and unbeknownst to me, there was a children's singer scheduled for that day. But I've never paid to go to a concert and probably never will. I can buy Duran Duran, Pet Shop Boys, Peter Gabriel, Bob and Ziggy Marley's CD's. And I HATE "live" versions. Is there a law that people must scream as if they are being killed at concerts?

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2019, 5:37 pm

I have never been to a music concert either apart from in school.. Was almost compulsary to take part. Usually was in a group that won such events... Though sports events I would not do at all well in despite my very best efforts. But school concerts (Once a year at St Davids day) were competitions which were judged. Not the same...

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2019, 5:51 pm

I've been to so many concerts I can't begin to count, starting in the 1980s. I prefer indoor gigs. People are surprised because I have agoraphobia and I have a lot of sensory issues, but if it's music I love and I'm in the dark for a show I'm totally fine. I don't have to talk to anyone or interact with people, or even see them eye to eye. Quiet sounds bother me more than loud music, if I love the band (although I do wear earplugs).

I'd find it much harder to have coffee with someone in broad daylight than to see an indoor concert. In the coffee situation I'd have to make small talk and eye contact, and I'd feel much more exposed or vulnerable.

Are you missing anything? I can't say because I don't know your relationship to music. In my case, it's part of who I am ... I'm in love with music even more than I love books.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2019, 5:52 pm

That's pretty major.....because you're IN a book :wink: