Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2019, 3:34 pm

I am generally narrowminded. My general knowledge is definately my weak point. Generally I am seen as simple minded... but then if one questions me about a subject that does "Switch me on" I come alive.
I do terrible in a quiz, but if the quiz was about one of my interests, I would do ok but, I would not always accept the quiz answer as the ones who set the questions have not given the full correct answer in some cases where the answers are wrong... I don't know if you have noticed this? And when I correct and explain, no one wants to hear? They say things like "Here we go again!" so I refrain from answering and lose heart and lose the quiz.

Does anyone else relate to this? Does it make sense? Why is it, what I call "Normal" people... Why do they get so frustrated? I can teach them the real answers. They asked rhe question... Didn't they want to know the truth? Don't they aant to know the details?
People are confusing!

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2019, 3:54 pm

I can relate to both sides on this issue and have been on both sides of it.

If it's something I am knowledgeable about and interested in, and I don't accept the quiz answer because it's not entirely correct, or too shallow or simplistic etc, I do wanna explain and talk about it and elaborate.
It matters to me.

On the other hand, when it's not something I am interested in, to be honest, I would likely be content with a half answer (unless it was important for me to know, which wouldn't be likely in a quiz).

Why? Because it's just a quiz and doesn't matter, I just wanna move on with it unless it's interesting to me personally. I guess that's how a lot of other people feel too, and they don't really care about the answer or its content.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2019, 4:09 pm

I have a large general knowledge base, because I read widely on a lot of different topics. All of them began as a special interest at one time or another, but I have stored up a lot of general knowledge because of these interests. My social and relationship knowledge is my weak point and, as a result I never really fell in love or dated.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2019, 4:11 pm

You must be such a good catch for the right person.

harry12345
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Jul 2019, 2:18 pm

A lack of general knowledge doesn't mean you are narrow-minded.

Narrow-minded means something else entirely.

Being narrow-minded means being unwilling to consider new ideas or other people's opinions, which is what they are doing when objecting to you trying to explain the differing answers.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2019, 2:30 pm

harry12345 wrote:

Being narrow-minded means being unwilling to consider new ideas or other people's opinions,

In that case, everyone is narrow minded and that is okay. I notice people will call others narrow minded when they mean "this person doesn't agree with my view/idea and they refuse to change their mind/deal with my agenda BS."

Fun fact, lot of people think they are open minded but they really aren't.

OP, I think what you are describing is narrow interest and that is common in ASD. We are only interested in things that interest us and everything else we have a hard time learning in. I have always had a hard time with quizzes because it is never a straight answer from the book and my brain doesn't work that way when the answers are abstract and the questions. I would probably have that same trouble too with my own interest as well.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2019, 3:24 pm

I'm having a funny sort of... Not exactly feeling... Don't have words to describe... I am sharing things but almost "Uhoh! Am I ready to hear this?" sort of feeling.... I want to know if things are definately asperges or NT, but I am also in a bit of dissbelief in that I am cringing as a sort of "It can't be" sort of feeling...
Mind you, maybe I am an NT with autistic traits? Doesn't this guessing get ones mind going? It could be that my mind is over emphasizing certain smaller aspects where what is with me a small thing and is a trait of my character rather then being on the spectrum? Sorry... My mind is puzzling. I am scared of being on the spectrum as if I am it could be a major change to my "Label"... Mind you, I would likely take any labels off incase they irratate my skin.. Haha! Ummm.