Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2019, 2:40 pm

My mother would regularly tell me I was an awkward baby,toddler ,child and teenager etc. Were any of you labelled as awkward by one or both parents?

dyadiccounterpoint
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Jul 2019, 2:58 pm

Awkward and clumsy, like a "bull in a china shop" they would say.

We seldom realize, for example, that our most private thoughts and emotions are not actually our own. For we think in terms of languages and images which we did not invent, but which were given to us by our society - Alan Watts

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2019, 3:26 pm

I was ,and am still , badly coordinated. I think she meant more behaviourally though.

dyadiccounterpoint
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Jul 2019, 4:18 pm

firemonkey wrote:
I was ,and am still , badly coordinated. I think she meant more behaviourally though.

Yeah the phrase implies physical coordination, but I was also awkward in the behavioral sense.

We seldom realize, for example, that our most private thoughts and emotions are not actually our own. For we think in terms of languages and images which we did not invent, but which were given to us by our society - Alan Watts

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2019, 7:21 pm

I fall a lot and I'm starting to get hurt because I'm older.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2019, 1:57 am

I have always been klutzy and have had and still have fine motor issues as is common on the spectrum.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2019, 2:14 am

Almost never labelled specifically as awkward. Shy, yes. Shameless, yes. Clueless, well... They didn't figured that one.

Almost never clumsy either. Unless your first impression of me was on one of my worse state of function, screw up and it sticks there.
Odd? Weird? Different? Heck yes. I can only go as far as to look awkward and clumsy by having certain gaits than actually being a full-blown one.

Sometimes it is, sometimes not. Most people, including myself sometimes, don't even know anymore.

More like most people who knew me labelled me as moody instead; it's one of the very few names that's more consistent than most descriptions I've received.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2019, 3:00 am

On the score of being physically awkward- my first school in Thailand flagged me up as having problems. That had my parents making an appointment to have me assessed for what is now known as cerebral palsy at Great Ormond street. When the test was negative, no alternatives were suggested. This was in 1962-1963 when the knowledge base about things like dyspraxia and learning difficulties was much smaller.
My parents certainly accepted I was physically awkward, as did the schools I was at, but matters weren't pursued further.

I have no doubt my situation was similar to a fair number of people who were physically and socially awkward as children in the early 60s to mid 70s . If I had been such a child 3 -4 decades later educational psychologists would have been on my case.

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2019, 3:44 am

Awkward as a descriptor for my physical ability as a kid, would be putting it mildly.

I was constantly tearing / breaking / spraining something. I was utterly uncoordinated, but I still loved to move around, especially climbing (buildings, trees, cars, whatever I could get my hands on). I never once got an A in physical education, but over the years I worked and worked on it until I began to improve. It helped that I found a sport that enables me to do that in a socially acceptable way.