Are people with ASD more prone to being constipated?

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2019, 10:01 am

I am prone to being constipated . I go every 2-3 days. I've been like it from as far back as I can remember.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2019, 10:02 am

I've always had the opposite problem.....I had digestive issues for a long time which manifested itself in diarrhea.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2019, 10:10 am

firemonkey wrote:
I am prone to being constipated . I go every 2-3 days. I've been like it from as far back as I can remember.
Constipation is mostly due to diet. Eat more fibre and less meat.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2019, 10:11 am

... and drink plenty of water.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2019, 10:23 am

I wonder how many Aspies have actually gotten ill and died from an underlying illness that started off as showing symptoms that the Aspie has associated with their ASD?

:chin:

Note: Constipation doesn't mean you have an underlying illness, but you get what I mean.
I see hundreds of threads across the forum saying things like for example: "do Aspies get migraines more?", "I have a lump on my arm, is this to do with Asperger's?", "I can't run without being out of breath, is this an Aspie thing?", "do Aspies suffer more with colds?"

The answer is no, get to the doctor's.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2019, 10:39 am

Found

Quote:
Faecal incontinence and constipation were detected 36.3% and in 68.1% of cases, respectively.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/31270838

Quote:
The present study demonstrated that supplementation with partially hydrolyzed guar gum to diets of constipated autism spectrum disorders children helped improve constipation and gut dysbiosis symptoms, which in turn helped attenuate the level of serum inflammation cytokines and behavioral irritability.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/31138955

Quote:
The majority of patients experienced constipation (65%), about half experienced stomachaches or stomach pain (47.9%), and others experienced nausea (23.2%) or diarrhea (29.7%).

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/31024357

Quote:
In children with autism spectrum disorder (ASD) who present to the gastroenterologist with chronic constipation on a background of colonic inflammation, we have identified two distinct clinical subtypes: (1) patients who experience a sustained state of GI symptomatic remission while on maintenance anti-inflammatory therapy (fast responders) and, (2) those with recurrent right-sided fecal loading requiring regular colon cleanouts during treatment for enterocolitis (slow responders).

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30979947

Quote:
ED visits by children with ASD were more likely to be constipation-related compared with visits by children with other chronic conditions or children with no chronic conditions (1.9% vs 0.6% vs 0.9%; P < .001). Children with ASD were more likely than children with other chronic conditions or no chronic conditions to be admitted to the hospital after an ED visit for constipation (15.0% vs 10.6% vs 1.2%; P < .001). Hospital charges were higher in children with ASD than in those without chronic conditions.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29866597

I'm not discounting the comments about meat and fibre,nor the comment about fluid intake. I don't have much fibre. I do buy a bag of prunes most weeks. I eat a moderate amount of meat. My fluid intake is not that good. I'm prone to bouts of mild dehydration(dry mouth,headache,nausea,difficult to quench thirst).

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2019, 11:37 am

If you agreed with every thread on WP you would be convinced that the DSM should include the following as diagnostic traits of aspergers: liking cottage cheese, loving chicken mcnuggets, having a sweet tooth, having an abnormal lack of a sweet tooth, having a bigger than normal head, having a smaller than normal head, being a big person, being a small person, etc etc..

This sounds like just another one of those "I love chicken mcnuggets. Is that an aspie thing?" type of threads.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2019, 11:50 am

I don't know if I have ASD (I assume it is autism?) but I find for most of my life I have the opposite.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2019, 2:18 pm

I used to get constipated all the time but not anymore.

BTW I think going few times a week is normal. I remember reading somewhere going at least 3 times a week is fine.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2019, 2:35 pm

I am sadly more prone on the other side of that spectrum. I'll happily trade you.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2019, 5:37 pm

Drink at least 1.5 litres of water a day.
Ideally 2 litres. or more. Drink a pint when you wake up, and when you go to bed.

Especially if you tend to also drink alcohol and caffeinated drinks. Coffee, cola. Etc.
Pain killers that have an opiate or codeine base can also make you constipated.

Otherwise, eat a well balanced diet that includes fruit, veg, diary. (and meat if you eat meat).

Human body is made up of 60% water.
In sport science, they say that if you lose 2% of this water, you can lose a high level of your strength,
through dehydration.

I am sure if you can get into the routine of staying as hydrated as possible, you will feel good for it.
If possible, try and stay away from coffee, caffeine (although that would mean get rid of coffee, cola and chocolate).

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2019, 8:12 pm

Autism comorbid with anxiety

Anxiety causes constipation

Autistics tend to eat bad diets

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2019, 8:51 pm

When I was younger I was badly constipated which caused me to continue having accidents through elementary school. I eventually was on medication for it.

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2019, 11:18 pm

I have found something that helps me with constipation.

There is an old saying that an apple a day keeps the doctor away. I would probably rephrase this as "An apple before bedtime keeps the constipation away."

Generally I consume an apple before bedtime and have a bowel movement the next morning. But you need to eat the skin of the apple in addition to the pulp. It is a combination of the two.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2019, 1:54 am

It is well documented that Autistics are more likely to have GI issues.

IMHO the causes are poor eating habits caused by sensory issues and cooccurring mental issues and the cooccurring issues themselves such as anxiety and depression.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

komamanga
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2019, 3:59 am

I've been constipated since I was born. I go about once a week. Sometimes even less often. I drink about 3 liters of water a day and coming from a mediterranean city I consume lots of fruits, vegetables and quality olive oil.