07 Apr 2016, 7:09 pm

i CAN'T HELP IT IF i LOW SELF ESTEEM.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2016, 7:58 pm

Why Autistics have low self esteem and how to build it up by Dr. Tony Attwood

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

EnmaLionheart
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Apr 2016, 8:13 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:

Thanks for sharing. Read it and I am about to bookmark it on my phone. :D

*goes back on phone thinking of first cosplay ideas*

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2020, 11:00 am

It took a lot to forgive myself. In the past I could forgive others but not myself. But when I did it brought relief. I was saying "It is ok to be me". "It is good to be me". "Everything is alright".

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2020, 1:47 pm

neptunekh wrote:
i CAN'T HELP IT IF i LOW SELF ESTEEM.

Now a few years ago, I had no self-esteem issues. but as I started to become more self-aware. I started struggling with them but in the way that i'm a perfectionists. and I'm never satisifed with being okay. I don't accept failure to the point that it's legitimately unhealthy. I can't take pride in my achievements because I know I always can do it better. and At Times I hate myself for that. For being so totally screwed that nothing I do will ever let me be successful in life. As for whether it's okay to hate yourself? I'd say no but alot of people hate themselves.

Dreamtastic
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Jul 2020, 8:29 pm

I struggle a lot too with low self-esteem and hate myself sometimes. :) But the thing is, I'm not sure how we can really expect to get anything that we want out of life until we have learned to love ourselves. I really think that self-love is one of the most important skills that anyone can learn. How can someone who doesn't love him/herself expect to be able to love anyone else? And when you start truly loving other people and focusing on that wider picture that makes up this great big world we live in, that is when the good stuff starts to happen! :) Now, no one is perfect, and I think it's also important not to have too high of an opinion of yourself. But loving yourself? Definitely a necessity.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2020, 11:24 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:

I clicked the link but it just said "This page could not be found! We are sorry. But the page you are looking for is not available. Perhaps you can try a new search."

Has the book really vanished? Or is it my browser / computer doing something wrong?

usagibryan
Toucan
Toucan

16 Jul 2020, 8:16 am

When you ask is it ok what do you mean? You're not hurting anyone but yourself by doing that, but you aren't helping anyone but doing that either. I struggle with this too and I think it's why I probably shouldn't pursue a relationship until I can build my self-esteem, otherwise I'll just end up being clingy and begging for reassurance. Negative self-talk is a pain and you shouldn't fall into the trap of thinking it's normal, I saw a clip from BoJack Horseman once where it shows a stream of conciousness where he just berates himself throughout the day, eating oreo cookies for breakfast thinking "what's wrong with you you're pathetic, make breakfast, why are you still eating the cookies?", I thought it was funny and showed it to my friend and he said "yeah I remember when I used to do that" and his use of the past tense made me realize it's possible to not think this way, so my goal is to eliminate negative self-talk. I don't know how though.

EDIT: Looks like I can posts links now, this is the scene I'm talking about: Bojack Horseman - Stupid Piece of sh*t

"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age"

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2020, 8:58 am

Sometimes emotions are natural involuntary subconscious or necessary

You can't measure hatred

Better than narcissistic personality disorder

If it's ok with you, it doesn't matter if it's ok with strangers on the internet

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2020, 6:12 pm

The original poster posted this eight years ago. But her recent posts reflect the same attitude.

Many folks seek permission to love themselves( though they would never say that in so many words). You, the OP, could be the first individual in human history to seek permission to ...not ...love yourself.

I salute your..uniqueness. But I cant wrap my head around it.

Redd_Kross
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2020, 6:43 pm

Accepting you're not ok is the only way to start getting better.

Making yourself feel guilty about an irrational feeling is only going to add to the list of stuff you don't like about yourself.

Wallowing in it won't help either - you need a steady, realistic plan. But that only comes from being straight with yourself and being proud of that first step.