Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2019, 4:23 am

I get these patterns to life as well as on websites.
When I have a new job or have joined a new website, I find I talk and I talk and I talk once I am confident enough to open up. (If not confident I am very quiet). But I go all out and then run out of things to say. I have nothing much left to share, so I go quiet again.

Is this normal? It puzzles me that this does not seem to happen to other people I watch.
Mind you, I do bore them with subjects they don't want to hear somehow! Not everyone likes trains anyway. (Hard to understand I know! Haha!)
But other people, even thouh the don't go into depth, they can just keep talking without exhausting their conversaions for future meetups? They can meet at a later date and have a whole lot more things to talk about. For me, unless something big has changed in my life, I have to go back to the same things that I have spoken about before just to talk about something.

Anyone get the same where one talks and talks and talks and gives all out but then at a later date has nothing left?

I think this can be why I struggle with dating? I reach a point further on where she knows everything about me, I have nothing left to give and I feel awkward as I want to talk and share things but nothing's left? Hopefully by that time hugs take over.

Does this have anything to do with me just having a few subjects I like? The problem with this is I am like a horse with blinkers on. I often find I can't think beyond the subjects I latch onto and though those subjects I spend ages exploring... Ages and ages! Often years! With other subjects, if I can't find I latch onto them, I find I ignore them as if they are not there.
One way around this is to use the subject of railways where I can graft in the subject onto this one as a side line, but I need it to directly relate to a railway subject to do this. For example, if the new subject is something that is carried on the railway as a goods, I then will research how it is carried and then go into the factory side of it in the storage before it gets to the train, and where it comes from (Especially if railways are involved) and then I can do a good job at finding out about the item and subject involved.
It is as if to take on a new subject I can't immediately latch onto, I have to funnel it tjrough a related subject that I have latched onto which is preferably a special interest, so I can relate to it... If that makes sense? I am not quite that bad and rigid but for me to take on board a new subject I am not latching onto, I need to find a way to relate to it before I can take an interest. If I can't take an interest, my brain says "No!" and it is very slow going and tough.

Maybe I am being too hard on myself. I have a good brain and mind. I can go into great depth. :) I have tallents. :)

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2019, 8:29 am

Aren't there always new developments in any subject area? And aren't there always some specialized news websites, newsletters, etc. where you could learn about these new developments?

If you're always learning, there's never a shortage of things to talk about, although there may be a shortage of appropriate times and places to talk about them, or a shortage of appropriate people with whom to talk about them.

TheOther
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Jul 2019, 8:32 am

I tend to find that it is less about literally having things to say, and more about me being in a different mood and not inspired to talk about anything.

MissMary227
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Jul 2019, 8:45 am

I guess I have delved into so many interests at this point in my life, I can talk about a smorgasbord of things, not to mention just life experiences/failings/successes/etc. If anything I feel I have more to talk about than could ever be said because it is getting backed up since I have been single with no mate to talk to in 9 years.

Some people just don't talk much, or have much to say. And that's okay. Good listeners are hard to come by...unless you don't like listening lol.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2019, 8:49 am

Yeah....I know what you mean.

There are times when I don't have much to say, either.

And there are times when the other person would like to get in a word edgewise LOL

I am usually a "person of few words," actually.

There was a US President once, Calvin Coolidge, who served in the 1920s. One of his nicknames was "Silent Cal." \

There was a running joke about him which states:

Other person: I bet I can get three words out of you.

Coolidge: You lose.

timf
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2019, 8:58 am

Consider the difference between transmit and receive.

If one has nothing left to transmit, it might be possible to inquire of others that which might concern them with a view towards either building a relationship or at least increasing in one's font of knowledge.

For example, asking a waitress to share her observations about who tips what, differences between lunch and supper crowds, or what determines the types of food selected can all show an interest in someone else as well as be access to insights that might not otherwise be obtainable.