Oh yes, another lil' personality quiz -- details enclosed!

Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Torley_Wong
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Aug 2004, 11:55 pm

I was recently informed of a test called the Chandler Macleod "Best Fit". It sounds like a type of textiles, but in this case, it's a personality quiz which focuses on your work style -- obviously something that many Aspies are concerned about, including myself.

It will take about 5 minutes of your time so it is fun and efficient. So if you are curious, I encourage you to check it out here:

http://chandlermacleod.com/cmbestfit/content/btw.cfm

By all means feel free to share your thoughts + feelings on this. I will be doing so myself as this thread progresses. :)

ilster
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Aug 2004, 3:05 am

Very interesting! I was getting quite infuriated with lists that appeared the same, but worded in slightly different order, and decided this was ridiculous, but the summary at the end was surprisingly accurate.... There must be a psychology in lists and orders. Some of the choices were bizarre!
I got APE ... sort of noisy, aggressive, stubborn, non group working, non conforming creative type that can't stand dealing with people not in the know... - somewhere along those lines - I lost the actual description, and there's no way I'm going to do the test again - my brain hurts!

Last edited by ilster on 19 Aug 2004, 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2004, 11:31 am

I got the NDA style:

Quote:
When a person is somewhat shy, socially reserved, cautious in decision making and generally lacking in social confidence, then even the strongest levels of self-management will have difficulty producing integrated behaviour which is successful in the work place. There are built-in tendencies to have very little faith in oneself and, because of the highly imaginative content in their make up, they are prone to worry how other people are seeing them, reading far more into casual remarks than was probably intended by the person concerned. This 'touchiness' makes them quite vulnerable and, even though they will try to erect a protective barrier of strong self-control, the underlying doubts and apprehensions will still be present. Nevertheless, they will strive to do their work in a very conscientious manner.

There are many things that create pressure for them, not the least of which is being made the centre of public attention. They will do their best to avoid such potentially embarrassing situations, either by physically side stepping the situation, or psychologically closing off' and retreating into their own protective shell. Even as a participant in a meeting, they would need to be gently encouraged to state their point of view or they will not be heard. This is to be regretted for, to some extent, they can make a contribution of an imaginative or creative nature, especially when thinking along the lines of what precautions need to be taken.

They expect the worst, and there is, therefore, some scope for them to devise ways and means of overcoming difficulties. However, if left to their own devices, that would create considerable pressure. So, they need the background support of a manager or adviser to confirm that what they are thinking is correct and, to some extent, that gives them the confidence to go ahead and implement what they think is correct. These predictive attributes centre on what is likely to go wrong so, when forced into decision-making situations, it will exaggerate the pressure that they feel. Social and work stresses develop quite readily for this style of person, unless they are appropriately placed.

One of the essential elements of their work place is a need for structure to keep them on track but which allows them some latitude for use of their imagination and their creative thinking style. At the same time however, there needs to be a 'mentor" who is readily available and whom they are confident enough to approach. There needs to be clearly identified personal activities for them to carry out (rather than being one of a group) and, ideally, they should be able to put their thoughts or recommendations on paper so that another person can evaluate and confirm their recommendations. More than most people, they benefit from thorough induction and training.

Rarely are they going to display overt sociability. There is considerable reserve present, a scepticism with regard to other peoples' intentions, and a critical attitude to other peoples behaviour. They have their own standards, and basically want to be left alone to pursue their private interests. Whilst their is considerable sensitivity present, and sympathy for those experiencing difficulties, NDA style people are not well equipped to express those feelings, and work associates may gain the (incorrect) impression that they are unfeeling. They deliberately avoid being the centre of attention, and only reluctantly force themselves to attend social functions as a matter of duty.

kyoified
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Aug 2004, 11:54 am

It was very accurate...although I didnt like how the lists seemed the same as well, I really liked the results. I am NDE style

'NDE' style
The word that springs to mind when pinpointing the nature of the NDE individual is disciplined. They are extremely professional, controlled and studious people, keen and conscientious. Underlying this control, however, is an emotional individual who experiences self-doubt, irritability and anxiety from time to time. This side is unlikely to be seen very often and their impact will generally be more businesslike, matter of fact and polite. They certainly are not vivacious or demonstrative individuals and people who wear their heart on their sleeve tend to make them uncomfortable. At the same time, they do have a genuine concern for others, which only tends to come through once they know people particularly well. Perhaps in a work situation it is unlikely to show at all, but there may be more evidence of this when they are dealing with close friends.

The NDE individual has two prime motivators. On the one hand, they are particularly keen to ensure they are disciplined and organised, that everything is structured and that they can work through their tasks in a sequential and orderly way. Security and avoidance of failure are also particularly strong needs for them and they are very focused on thinking ahead, considering pitfalls in ideas and honing in on details to avoid errors. In fact, they can be seen by others as very pedantic, although the personal discipline they have can control some of this pedantic nature in terms of helping them decipher when detail focus is needed and when it will hinder their performance. Stress will occur for them when they are required to deal with a situation that is outside their area of experience and outside the boundaries that they are required to work within. They like clarity, structure and well-defined parameters within their role and you are unlikely to see them step outside of these. However, again the control factor comes to the fore in terms of providing them with the initiative to take charge of their own work and make decisions, once they have built up the confidence in themselves to trust that the outcome is likely to be correct.

Analysing facts and information, weighing up various options and calculating whether an idea is likely to fall over is their general approach to work. Professionalism is first and foremost in their mind and they certainly want to achieve a quality result. Intolerance or irritability can occur if they are dealing with people who are less than conscientious or focused and they certainly do not tolerate a slapdash approach or laziness in others. They are, however, quick to find fault with themselves and with others, perhaps at times becoming particularly fussy in terms of pinpointing minor errors that do not have a large effect on the overall result but has prevented the work from being perfect.

On an interpersonal level, they are formal, open communicators, not shy or backward in coming forward but, more inclined to be direct and forthright in what they say than someone who can "dress up their words" or apply a great deal of tact or diplomacy. They do, however, like to work collaboratively in a group environment and will go over and above the expectations that people have of them to help people achieve their goals.

Civet
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2004, 12:16 pm

I, like NeantHumain, got the NDA style. What do the letters stand for?

shellfd
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Aug 2004, 12:24 pm

I think that I too did not like the questions/wording to constantly be refered back over and over; but strangly seems to be accurate???
How wierd is that??
Michele

NMP' style
People of this personality style possess substantial amounts of drive and energy, which they are capable of harnessing very effectively since they are self-disciplined, responsible, keen to maintain high standards and interested in being exposed to challenges that develop their knowledge and skills. They generally have a dynamic, self-assured attitude, seek positions of authority and have the potential for providing strong leadership.

Combined with strength of opinion and a competitive nature, they possess warmth and sociability and they will naturally adopt a leadership role when they find themselves in a group situation. In taking the lead, their style will be more one of preparedness to work towards engendering harmony, rather than application of aggressive authority. Nonetheless, they will be quick and confident in making decisions, hard to hold back once they've chosen a course of action and willing to debate ideas with other people in an open and forceful fashion. They also have high standards, which they will stick to and expect from others, showing disappointment and irritation and adopting a more firmly instructive stance if those around them do not pull their weight. Their style tends to be that of the benevolent autocrat.

What motivates them is their natural inclination toward team leadership, particularly where they have decision-making scope and an avenue for constant activity. They tend to experience stress, or at least a lack of motivation, where they are not appropriately recognised and rewarded for their work. They also find it frustrating to remain for too long in a subordinate role, especially if there is no room for them to express their opinions. Where they are exposed to the frustration of having to take instructions without being given the chance to express their opinions, or the leeway to take action on their own, they are likely to take over the leadership role themselves.

Their work style is one of constructive energy and enthusiasm, decisiveness and natural authority. They will lead by example, encouraging and enthusing people to perform, and they will set a brisk pace, enjoying a leadership role where their team have some "get up and go". However, their forcefulness may well step on the toes of quieter individuals and they do not have a lot of sympathy for those who have difficulty keeping up with the pace or the standards they set. They are also not interested in attending to minute details, much preferring to delegate such tasks to other people.

Others who have energy and enthusiasm will relate readily to the NMP style person, whether they are in a leadership or team member position. They can also have a positive effect on people of a more submissive nature who are looking to be led, since they can carry others along with their enthusiasm and their drive. Where they find that others respect them and respond positively to their enthusiasm they will lead well, allowing people to contribute, fostering a positive team culture and being unafraid to experiment whilst not compromising on standards. Where respect or enthusiasm is not forthcoming they will tend to become increasingly dictatorial and the team culture can fall into a negative spiral.

Civet
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2004, 12:49 pm

Quote:
I think that I too did not like the questions/wording to constantly be refered back over and over; but strangly seems to be accurate???

Yes, it does seem to be rather accurate for myself, as well. It annoyed me at first that they kept repeating the questions, a few times I thought the browser hadn't refreshed properly. Then I realized what they were doing. It seems they were weighing every group of words against eachother, to determine which order you would prioritize them. Atleast, that's what I believe they were doing.

Torley_Wong
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Aug 2004, 12:57 pm

Civet wrote:
Quote:

Yes, it does seem to be rather accurate for myself, as well. It annoyed me at first that they kept repeating the questions, a few times I thought the browser hadn't refreshed properly. Then I realized what they were doing. It seems they were weighing every group of words against eachother, to determine which order you would prioritize them. Atleast, that's what I believe they were doing.

Yes, this is what I felt too. At first I was really annoyed too how some of the words were lumped for grouping ("Conventional") because I wondered if the test was going anywhere, but it seems to have had a point -- I mean, with 21 questions, it had to end! I turned out to be AE style:

The AE style person is easily distinguished by their commitment to technical accuracy and their complete absorption in their work. They are project-minded people, eager to ensure that all the details are in place. Completing a task to perfection is often more important to them than working within deadlines and, in their enthusiasm for perfecting specifics, they can find it difficult to formulate broader plans. Their focus on technical perfection can make them a valuable asset to an organisation, providing an alternative perspective to more commercially expedient approaches, although their commitment to high quality results can mean that the time taken or the procedures followed must be carefully considered in light of economic realities. They are frequently idealistic, imaginative and creative in their thinking processes.

... and soforth. I found this to be pretty accurate of me although I'm not much of a "technical perfectionist" as I once was because it consumes time.

NoMore
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2004, 1:35 pm

I got "NE style"...it certainly seems accurate!

Rogue
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Aug 2004, 2:36 pm

Here's what I got...

'NAE' style

NAE style people have many of the attributes of successful research scientists, capable of producing original ideas, committed to their projects and creative in their thinking. Essentially they are "experts" who do not relate readily and easily to others and they strive to achieve their personal goals, using their own capabilities rather than utilising team synergy. They thoroughly enjoy working on their creative projects and, at times, can become so immersed in the process that the actual goal becomes clouded.

They will strive for idealistic perfection and, when another person (in authority) seeks to impose pragmatic limitations on them, they do not willingly or easily accept the constraints. They possess a degree of self-management that helps to damp down automatic reactions to pressure, so they don't immediately reject the suggestion, especially if it is put in a rational and factual manner. However, it will be apparent that they do not invite critical contributions, and, in fact, open and easy communication with others is difficult. They are by no means rigid in their own thinking and, where they have free rein, they can readily visualise new approaches. It is only when they feel these changes are being externally imposed that stubborn, passive resistance will result.

It will be apparent from the above comment that their preferred work situation is one where they have a completely unambiguous project in front of them, where their freedom and/or constraints have been clearly identified, where methods have been agreed upon, and they now feel free to go on ahead in search of their results. They don't "need" other people around them for social contact or support and will, in fact, have difficulty in delegating activities. Ideally, therefore, they should have the opportunity to achieve their goals utilising personal resources rather than having to control or co-ordinate the activities of others.

Their particular style sees them self-contained, happy to work in isolation, not rejecting social contact out of hand but, "putting up with it" rather than enjoying it. They will communicate with competent people who know what they are doing, but explaining matters to the uninitiated is a chore. They will generally fulfil social obligations, but out of a sense of duty, rather than expected pleasure. It is typical that, having successfully completed their project, they would prefer to generate an academic submission or a detailed documentation of the results than communicate their findings in face-to-face situations and they would particularly dislike having to be the public presenter.

I think it's pretty accurate although I am a little more social than the description.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2004, 8:59 am

I'm an NE and it captures me to a T. I enjoy working on my Art projects. The more that the people in my life upset me, the more time I spend in my room working on my Art. The other thing is that I only like to join into a group on my own terms. Not when somebody tells me to. 8)

Deborah
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Aug 2004, 7:40 pm

I got MPE. It is really accurate. And I learned something useful about myself, because I've only just started working for the first time.

Ramoth
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Aug 2004, 12:09 am

I also got the NDA style.

Torley_Wong
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Aug 2004, 1:00 am

Thank you for sharing.

Does anyone feel that these descriptions, while being very detailed, are still a bit too general -- i.e. do you feel that you could read another person's description and have it still apply to you? (Like, for lack of another term, an astrology reading in the newspaper?) For example, I would think most people would like to be regarded as a focused, hard worker ;)

As for what the letters stand for, I'm not exactly sure but there is more discussion with some answers here:

http://www.musicmademe.com/asp/viewtopi ... c&start=30

Gwynfryn helpfully informed me about this. :)

ilster
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Aug 2004, 1:58 am

I think there is a little bit of that in the answers Torley - I could fit myself into most descriptions depending on what sort of day I'm having. I notice in the other discussion, that the proper test just puts one word next to another, not groups like the one we've done. I got fixated with contradictions, which made some of my answers completely random - I didn't agree with either in a lot of cases.

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2004, 3:15 am

As for the groups of words repeating over again. I think is just a simple way for the test to judge "well how much am I...?" of what what ever the group of words happen to be.

As for the test. I'm an AE type person, and I have to say that this is fairly accurate description of me.

Quote:
The AE style person is easily distinguished by their commitment to technical accuracy and their complete absorption in their work. They are project-minded people, eager to ensure that all the details are in place. Completing a task to perfection is often more important to them than working within deadlines and, in their enthusiasm for perfecting specifics, they can find it difficult to formulate broader plans. Their focus on technical perfection can make them a valuable asset to an organisation, providing an alternative perspective to more commercially expedient approaches, although their commitment to high quality results can mean that the time taken or the procedures followed must be carefully considered in light of economic realities. They are frequently idealistic, imaginative and creative in their thinking processes.

These people are stimulated by opportunities to employ their creative talents and are more likely to enjoy being the sole operator, rather than having to fit in with team requirements. They are non-antagonistic as far as other people are concerned, but have a little difficulty in including others in their thoughts and their activities. Because they like to "do their own thing", they can become quickly irritated by interference in their area of work. This irritation is usually clearly visible to those around them, particularly if changes of plan or changes in project requirements are thrust upon them. When they are subjected to situations that upset them they will tend to cope by burying themselves in their work and shutting out what is going on around them.

The work situation they like best is one where they are given the space to work to their own high standards, rather than feeling they are under externally imposed time pressures. They prefer not to be disturbed or pulled away to attend to requests from others. Colleagues can sometimes find their preference for working alone difficult to understand and it could therefore at times be important for the AE style of person to consciously set aside times to interact with colleagues, to ensure that they do not convey the impression that they are antisocial or even hostile. They could also find it helpful to explain to colleagues that when they are engrossed in their work, they see attempts by others at social interaction more as irritants than as friendly gestures and, when they are placed under pressure, they are likely to avoid social situations, often coming across as aloof or irritable without meaning to.

They enjoy a work situation where they have the opportunity to work on finite projects, where outcomes are tangible and their own responsibilities are personally challenging but clearly defined. It is very important (for their enjoyment of their work and their ability to give of their best) for project requirements and realistic time frames to be agreed upon at the outset. They appreciate managers who are considerate and respectful of their skills, who recognise their excellent intentions and commitment to quality, who trust them in their work and show quiet recognition and appreciation of their efforts and accomplishments.

They generally view their social life as their own business, and do not appreciate being pressured by invitations to "join in", much preferring to generate friendships over time with people of a similar nature. For them, comfortable friendships often develop slowly over shared involvement in mutually interesting projects.