Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2019, 10:44 pm

HATE it! I grew up the boonies with no access to anything so my life was basically camping. My parents loved to pack up the RV at the drop of a hat, not giving me anytime to mentally prepare and then yell at me when I had a meltdowns and tell me I ruined the trip for everyone.

When they got the RV I thought that meant we would finally take real vacations. Usually I work quote on quote "vacations" we're just visiting relatives. We never went anywhere fun for the sake of having fun. We just took the RV to a regular camp ground. The one time I thought we were going to go to a private zoo... and did mentally prepare me for. My Mom and Dad decided they didn't like the parking area and left the private zoo just to go to a campground I hated it. They were always telling me if I didn't like something I should just make doing deal with it to make the other people happy but that never seem to apply to them.
Campgrounds were usually in the woods and we always went in the fall and the smell of dead leaves made me feel sick. I also once was forced to go camping even though I already had a knee injury. My parents said they would say I got hurt at the private zoo place and that's why we left. I had gotten hurt before we even went camping. For once, I would have liked to stay in a hotel or resort type of place and not simply because we were moving or visiting someone. I would like to stay in a hotel to do something fun that I enjoyed.

Lola8088
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 Jul 2019, 1:06 am

I just got back from a camping trip! I love the quiet of the deep, deep woods. It took a long time to find the right sleeping bag, I went through three of them before I found one I actually would use. I love making lists, and the lists for camping are numerous, so prepping for camping is just as much fun as the actual trip for me. I think I made 9 lists before we left. If I lost my notebook before the trip, I'd have to cancel the trip. Also, if I don't pack all the things on the list, I'd be too anxious to deal and would have to cancel.

Sandpiper
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Jul 2019, 2:05 am

I've always enjoyed wild camping and bivouacking.

The remoter parts of Scotland have always been my favourite places to go. I started out by camping in the mountains then moved on to sea kayaking out to the islands of the west coast. Nothing quite beats spending a few nights on uninhabited islands having arrived by kayak. You can comfortably carry a lot more stuff in a sea kayak than you can in a backpack.

But even in England and Wales there are still many areas where wild camping is possible without the landowners permission, even though technically it is not legal. It's a good idea to be as discreet and inconspicuous as possible. A dark green tent is rather better than a bright orange one.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

30 Jul 2019, 2:51 am

Love it.

I love minimalist approach, carrying as little things as possible - but friends often insist I take my guitar.
Last summer I experimented with a hammock and a tarp instead of a tent but I can't really tell the results because we didn't have any heavy rain to test the tarp. Hammock is nice to camp in Poland because any wilderness here has lots of trees but nights tend to be cool and sleeping bag compresses under your body so you need some additional insulation to sleep well.

Three years ago I bought a big tent to travel with a car and I use it to take my children... anywhere. Often we have no plans at all, we just go and look for interesting places.

When camping, I love going barefoot and feel the grass and forest cover under my feet. I get a lot of bruises and splinters but it's still a pleasure to precisely feel my connection with the ground... maybe it's some kind of stimming.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2019, 3:20 am

MagicMeerkat wrote:
HATE it! I grew up the boonies with no access to anything so my life was basically camping. My parents loved to pack up the RV at the drop of a hat, not giving me anytime to mentally prepare and then yell at me when I had a meltdowns and tell me I ruined the trip for everyone.
<snip>

This is a story about life with unaware parents. A lot of people don't consider any RV use to be "camping." I think the archetype for camping is the wilderness traveller before civilization. These days, we have to just pretend, and not live off the land, leaving it for the next sightseer. One thing I particularly enjoy is the versatility of good camping gear, but if you go to the store, they will try to sell you a single-task substitute for almost anything in your house. Lacking a cheese grater, I found that my Swiss Army knife could cut a grid into the end of a block of cheese, and then produce small cubes or other block shapes.

Last edited by Dear_one on 30 Jul 2019, 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2019, 3:25 am

magz wrote:
Love it.

I love minimalist approach, carrying as little things as possible - but friends often insist I take my guitar.
Last summer I experimented with a hammock and a tarp instead of a tent but I can't really tell the results because we didn't have any heavy rain to test the tarp. Hammock is nice to camp in Poland because any wilderness here has lots of trees but nights tend to be cool and sleeping bag compresses under your body so you need some additional insulation to sleep well.

Three years ago I bought a big tent to travel with a car and I use it to take my children... anywhere. Often we have no plans at all, we just go and look for interesting places.

When camping, I love going barefoot and feel the grass and forest cover under my feet. I get a lot of bruises and splinters but it's still a pleasure to precisely feel my connection with the ground... maybe it's some kind of stimming.

Oh, I love walking barefoot on occasions. I don't do it often, but the feeling of connection of what I walk on... If I did it too often and my skin went too hard I may lose the feeling?

Sahn
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2019, 5:32 am

I going camping in France tomorrow with a friend. 10 days with bicycles and tents.
I live in a caravan too which is pretty like camping.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2019, 2:11 pm

Dear_one wrote:
MagicMeerkat wrote:
<snip>

This is a story about life with unaware parents. /quote]

Oh my parents knew I was autistic. They just didn't care and felt that accommodating me and giving me warnings or time to plan was just reinforcing my autistic behavior and that in the "real word" that kind of thing wouldn't be accommodated and didn't want to put me in a respite place because my mother worked in a group home before I was born and the abuse at it was notorious.

Isilhwen
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Aug 2019, 2:42 pm

I can't imagine a life where I am away from the natural world. I love to walk with the dogs at night along the river. I am fortunate to live in a very wild and beautiful place. If I think about going anywhere different, I feel such a sickness in my gut. It is as if the place I live has a hold on me, and I have no regrets. I feel a good fit between myself and the world after a long, long, time. I feel I am a small part of the wildlife here, though I have a cozy bed, that is not too wild. I worry about how it (the environment) is being treated. It is a difficult worry to let go of.

There is some thinking I just don't understand, and its a natural thing, because I am not put together in a way that has the capability or care to think that way. The willingness to destroy the planet it such a callous way however, I don't know what category that goes into, greed, ignorance, violence?

I will search for a connection regarding the effect between atyps and nature (not the allery aspect).

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2019, 2:55 pm

I don't have AS, I have classic autism, but I used to love camping when I was younger.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2019, 6:06 pm

Only went a couple of times

Not particularly

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2019, 7:50 pm

Not my idea of fun at all

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2019, 7:52 pm

I LOVE camping and I love sitting by the campfire but it has to be a real campground with trees and hopefully a lake or river not a field parking lot campground

Wreck It Ralph

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2019, 7:54 pm

blazingstar wrote:
I paddle solo on canoe trips in wilderness areas that are as far as possible from other people and the accompanying noise and detritus of civilization.

It takes me about three days to shake out, and 12-14 days to slip away. Once in this latter state, mostly I don't want to come out. I also like to keep it simple and ultra light as possible. Travel lightly and leave no trace.
Sounds amazing. I kayak but have not done any actual touring. I will be learning to canoe as well though. It is so wonderful that you get to do that.

Wreck It Ralph

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2019, 10:20 pm

Don't want to drive somewhere without paved roads

It is too dangerous to go alone

Nobody to go with

Wild animals

fjoois
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Aug 2019, 1:55 am

As a young adult, I enjoyed camping. But in general most of my camping was done without a tent. Generally I camped out in the open under the stars in only a sleeping bag. And everything I needed to survive was in my backpack.