Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2019, 2:30 pm

I'm in the process of transitioning into a group home. I'm learning new things although it's hard so I often resist or flat out refuse. I am getting better at independent living skills but I still need assistance or it just won't get done. I can't go anywhere without someone else (staff) but that will probably never happen. It's nice to know where I will be if something happened to my parents.

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2019, 2:38 pm

I hope you like it :)

ConverseFan
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Aug 2019, 3:12 pm

I hope its a good group home. My parents want that for me but I feel scared about that sort of thing.

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2019, 3:16 pm

It’s good. I have three male housemates. I’m the only female. We all get along. There is caring staff who go above and beyond. I feel safe here.

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2019, 3:17 pm

ConverseFan wrote:
I hope its a good group home. My parents want that for me but I feel scared about that sort of thing.

What are you scared about?

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2019, 3:18 pm

HighLlama wrote:
I hope you like it :)

I do.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2019, 7:00 pm

Congratulations on taking that big step toward independence. Good for you!

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2019, 9:24 pm

blazingstar wrote:

Well, it does have 24 hour staff for me. I guess I don’t like the word independence because I don’t see it as realistic in my case.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2019, 12:28 am

Is it just other automatics that live with you? How long did it take to get in there? I am worried about where I will live when my parents aren't around anymore(assuming I live long enough) as I am only somewhat independent and will likely never be fully independent even with a disability pension.

Hope it works out for you there, I'm glad you get along with the staff and other tenants.

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2019, 9:17 am

Noca wrote:
Is it just other automatics that live with you? How long did it take to get in there? I am worried about where I will live when my parents aren't around anymore(assuming I live long enough) as I am only somewhat independent and will likely never be fully independent even with a disability pension.

Hope it works out for you there, I'm glad you get along with the staff and other tenants.

What are automatics? We all have autism. I was in the day program since May of last year. I’m still transitioning in since May of this year. My parents are working on getting state funding but it’s private pay for now.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2019, 2:27 pm

livingwithautism wrote:
blazingstar wrote:

Well, it does have 24 hour staff for me. I guess I don’t like the word independence because I don’t see it as realistic in my case.

I didn't mean offense by the word independence. I am so sorry. In actual fact, no one is independent of all others. It's a matter of degree.

You have moved out from your parents' home, and that is a step further than living with your parents. As you get more used to being in the group home, you will probably be able to make more choices, manage at least some of your own money, There may be more you can accomplish for each step you take.

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2019, 9:54 pm

blazingstar wrote:
livingwithautism wrote:
blazingstar wrote:

I didn't mean offense by the word independence. I am so sorry. In actual fact, no one is independent of all others. It's a matter of degree.

You have moved out from your parents' home, and that is a step further than living with your parents. As you get more used to being in the group home, you will probably be able to make more choices, manage at least some of your own money, There may be more you can accomplish for each step you take.

I didn't take offense it's just a trigger word for me.

ConverseFan
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Aug 2019, 10:35 pm

livingwithautism wrote:
blazingstar wrote:
livingwithautism wrote:
blazingstar wrote:

For some reason I also don't really like the word independence. It makes me feel bad. To answer your question about what I am scared about, I am scared to not have my parents around when I need them and the change in routine. Sorry if my response was late

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2019, 6:02 am

ConverseFan wrote:
livingwithautism wrote:
blazingstar wrote:
livingwithautism wrote:
blazingstar wrote:

For some reason I also don't really like the word independence. It makes me feel bad. To answer your question about what I am scared about, I am scared to not have my parents around when I need them and the change in routine. Sorry if my response was late

Thank you both for letting me know that independence can be a trigger word. I didn't know that.

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2019, 8:54 am

Does anyone else live in a group home or 24-hour support? If so, what is it like?

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2019, 3:07 pm

livingwithautism wrote:
Noca wrote:

What are automatics? We all have autism. I was in the day program since May of last year. I’m still transitioning in since May of this year. My parents are working on getting state funding but it’s private pay for now.

Sorry stupid autocorrect on my phone changed autistics to automatics :x