Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2020, 7:46 pm

I do not think I get light sensitivity much though there are times when they fill rooms with lots of those long striplights that it is too much and can cause headaches or the sun can make me squint, but I always thought this was normal? I am usually ok with striplights unless they flicker.
Now if I was extremely light sensitive, I would really notice, but how can one tell if one is normal or slightly light sensitive? Mind you, it does not really matter. I am just curious as if light sensitivity could be a shutdown trigger for me or if it was overthinking, as I remember a time when I went into a shutdown and the ONLY possible causes for that mystery shutdown was either overthinking, or light sensitivity as it was a bright sunny day and I was cycling downhill through trees so the sun was giving quite a flickering effect.
It effects me less in a car... I mean.. Well. I don't like it but I put the sunvisor down.

I noticed for several weeks after and during the last burnout I wore sunglasses in the car when I was in a mentally "Fragile" stage, even though we were going into winter. It helped calm me so I could concentrate on driving. Somehow the sunglasses reduced stress?

Tell you what I once had was when I was at my dentist. Once (And they don't remember this when I once enquired) they put on these orange shades over my eyes to protect them, and I was so interested in this interesting new colour that I did not notice my teeth. I normally am half way on the floor with shutdowns at the dentist and that is before I go in! I want a pair of the eye protectors! The problem is they did not remember the occasion and they do not normally have them, but what is it about colours that have such an effect like this? Interesting, as somehow the colour makes one be in a different world to reality, so ones anxiety and stress are subdued. Anyone else notice this?

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2020, 7:57 pm

Sure.
If I walk in places my eyes don't have enough threshold over, I'd end up looking down the whole time.

While spending that entire time tolerating in an overwhelming like fog, navigating, participating...

It went a bit easier since I had my glasses tinted. No need to end up looking down.

And tolerating past one's usual thresholds is very draining in general.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2020, 8:27 pm

Firstly I am not 100% sure that I am fully in touch with my senses as I have noticed things which now are coming to light that I never knew about myself before since I have found out what the shutdowns are and what cause them. I know for sure now that certain smells can, or rather do cause me shutdowns if I can't remove myself from the enviroment in time, so I am still finding these things out as it takes a slow process of sifting through memories and comparing mental notes with what happens today in order to find out the triggers, and while I can't avoid partial shutdowns if I come across a trigger, I am more successful now in avoiding full out shutdowns, as in the past I was getting them because I did not know what was going on!

The problem is in finding what senses I may not be in touch with, as most senses I am in touch with (I believe), but some I find I don't feel until they hit me full on and I then I can be likely to shut down because I had not realized? I am going through theory here as at the moment some of what I am saying requires deep thought.

Anyway. You can tell I am still working it out. Shane my brain has no diagnostic tool. :P I could remap my brain for greater performance! (I am joking of course!)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2020, 8:48 pm

outdoors most of the time in daylight, i MUST wear sunglasses. indoors at the produce section of the store [glaringly brightly lit] i must also wear sunglasses. i can no longer watch fireworks as they give me overstimulation and headaches. strobing lights cause something akin of a subtle seizure, i get "fuzzy."

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2020, 8:51 pm

auntblabby wrote:
outdoors most of the time in daylight, i MUST wear sunglasses. indoors at the produce section of the store [glaringly brightly lit] i must also wear sunglasses. i can no longer watch fireworks as they give me overstimulation and headaches. strobing lights cause something akin of a subtle seizure, i get "fuzzy."

I do not get the same so I must be ok with light. I believe it is overthinking that could be the trigger?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2020, 8:53 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

I do not get the same so I must be ok with light. I believe it is overthinking that could be the trigger?

i don't believe "overthinking" is involved as with me it is an entirely involuntary thing.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2020, 9:00 pm

Smells are triggers. Stress and unexpectedly being asked to do something that requires change etc.
Overthinking can cause me to shutdown I believe. If not then I am puzzled.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2020, 9:11 pm

overthinking does other things to me, like give me blinding headaches, sore neck and back, a general feeling of sickness. i need much sleep to recover from such.

martianprincess
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2020, 3:22 pm

My eyes are very sensitive to light. I prefer a cloudy day to a very sunny one because of that! I'd rather live my life in the dark if I could. hah

I like wild orchids and neighbors with wide orbits

nadroJ
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2020, 3:36 pm

I am predominantly highly sensitive to light but it is one sensitivity I do not mind having due too phyco-motor reasons. It also depends on how well I have slept, I have had impaired/distorted sleep patterns since a child, the less I have slept the more sensitive to light. The more I have slept, which is rarely, the less sensitive I am too light. Also depends on how much I have eaten. Carbohydrates, meat and overthinking seem have a direct effect on sensory processing, that is why I am vegetarian, it keeps my mind clear.

FallingDownMan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Nov 2020, 5:20 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
I do not think I get light sensitivity much though there are times when they fill rooms with lots of those long striplights that it is too much and can cause headaches or the sun can make me squint, but I always thought this was normal? I am usually ok with striplights unless they flicker.
Now if I was extremely light sensitive, I would really notice, but how can one tell if one is normal or slightly light sensitive? Mind you, it does not really matter. I am just curious as if light sensitivity could be a shutdown trigger for me or if it was overthinking, as I remember a time when I went into a shutdown and the ONLY possible causes for that mystery shutdown was either overthinking, or light sensitivity as it was a bright sunny day and I was cycling downhill through trees so the sun was giving quite a flickering effect.
It effects me less in a car... I mean.. Well. I don't like it but I put the sunvisor down.

I noticed for several weeks after and during the last burnout I wore sunglasses in the car when I was in a mentally "Fragile" stage, even though we were going into winter. It helped calm me so I could concentrate on driving. Somehow the sunglasses reduced stress?

Tell you what I once had was when I was at my dentist. Once (And they don't remember this when I once enquired) they put on these orange shades over my eyes to protect them, and I was so interested in this interesting new colour that I did not notice my teeth. I normally am half way on the floor with shutdowns at the dentist and that is before I go in! I want a pair of the eye protectors! The problem is they did not remember the occasion and they do not normally have them, but what is it about colours that have such an effect like this? Interesting, as somehow the colour makes one be in a different world to reality, so ones anxiety and stress are subdued. Anyone else notice this?

Yup, sensitive to light as well. Since I discovered this thing called sensory processing disorder, I realized that there are a few senses that I am sensitive to. I now wear sunglasses outdoors anytime the sun is up. Clouds or not. And I also wear them inside most stores day or night.

For me, it is sensory overload in general that causes me problems. For example, at the grocery store, I have the bright over head lights, all the different noises, the different aromas, the people moving around me, and now I have to search the shelves for a specific item. These things combined will cause a mild shutdown for me.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2020, 5:59 pm

Can it be possible to have a sensitivity but not notice it or rather, not sense it? I mean... Uhmm. Only have the shutdown effect trough the trigger, but not neccessarily realizing what has been happening until later?

(I believe that it was overthinking at the time rather then light sensitivity. I am trying to fathom out a past situation).

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2020, 6:18 pm

My eyes are very sensitive to light.

Yes, lights can flicker and that can cause problems.

Sometimes what a good idea is is to check with someone you know doesn't have light sensitivity (which doesn't include all NTs, my mum has light sensitivity and is NT). Ask them if they see the light flickering or not.

Cos often they don't notice unless it's really obvious.

When my light sensitivity is bad, it feels like someone stabbed me in the eye from inside the eye. I've had both my mother and father describe it in equally graphic terms. My dad's feels like it's burning him and my mum says it's a sewing needle poking at it.

Idk if my dad's on the spectrum but we always speculated he was. He's schizophrenic. My mum's NT but has migraines, probably due to a long term disease (I don't name it cos it's rare).

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2020, 6:26 pm

I have no feeling as far as I am aware. I am squinting a little more then others on occasions but I assumed this was normal?

Udinaas
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2020, 8:29 pm

I prefer darker lighting than most people do but I'm not super sensitive to light either. It's a mild nuisance at worst.

XSara
Raven
Raven

27 Nov 2020, 4:22 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
I have no feeling as far as I am aware. I am squinting a little more then others on occasions but I assumed this was normal?

light sensitivity as in Irlen syndrome, which a lot of autistics have, has nothing to do with squinting. everybody squints under the sun. Irlen syndrome causes eye stress: eyes become watery, itchy, tired and they can hurt after a while.
It causes stress headaches, which can get worse in a day with prolonged exposure to light.
it causes stress: sore muscles all over the body, heart races, hyperactivity, hypervigilance, breathing becomes difficult, stimming behaviours may get more obvious to others, there's a feeling of overwhelm, upset digestive track, clenched jaw and grinding teeth, anxiety, racing thoughts, impulsiveness, forgetfulness and disorganization (basicly executive disfunction), tiredness.
Irlen syndrome also causes visual distortion when we look at things: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FARizLljRkc&t=2s
that is an example of distortions in print, which are the same that we see in our environment , and which causes us difficulties in going down the stairs or escalators(because the stairs appear flat, there's no depth to them, and we don't know where to put our feet, so we get anxious), we bump into things a lot. irlen syndrome causes problems while driving a bike or a car because of the distortions and the lack of depth perception, but also because of visual fragmentation, which in the autistic world is also known as tunnel vision: imagine a sniper who can only look through the viewfinder: his vision is fragmented because he can only see little parts of the world and not the big picture. to see the big picture he has to move the viewfinder all over the place, and he may get tired of that. our eyes get tired doing it, so we prefer to look at one place. we may avoid eye contact too. the visual stress causes mono-channelling which was described by dr temple granding in one of her books. basically we sacrifice paying attention to the information that comes to one of our senses to understand the information that comes from another sense.