Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

outerspacenik
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Aug 2019, 5:01 pm

All my potential possible diagnoses is making my head spin. I appreciate all the advances that have been made in psychology since i saw my first psychologist 50 years ago. In knowledge of conditions considered to be abnormal and of how to treat them successfully. I accept i have AS but still think i have an attachment disorder, maybe Reactive Attachment Disorder (RAD), and a new one i found recently called Emotionally Deprived Disorder. It seems like i now also have medical student's disease which means always self-diagnosing! Will it never end? :rabbit:

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2019, 5:51 pm

Do you have the opportunity to see a knowledgeable therapist who can help you sort all this out?

(Alas, ASD-aware therapists are hard to find.)

outerspacenik

01 Aug 2019, 6:48 pm

Thanks for your suggestion but it's just something i can live with. No big deal. I am not fixated or obsessed with it. Just something else my active mind gets to play with. To distract me from my deeply buried emotional needs perhaps.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

02 Aug 2019, 3:04 am

If you can live with them, no big deal, then I guess you are not disordered enough to qualify for a diagnosis.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

outerspacenik

08 Aug 2019, 10:30 am

I think having been in therapy on and off for 50 years has enabled me to stand back from my AS and view it from the outside looking in. One arrogant shrink told me i must not be AS because i could do this and 'they' could not. I got up and walked out. And even got my money back because i had only been with him for 5 minutes at the most. I used to think seeing all these psychologists probably around 50 and a handful of psychiatrists had done me little good but now i believe there has been a cumulative beneficial effect. The best of them all was a Reichian body work lady i saw in my late 20s after i attended a talk by Eva Reich the daughter of Wilhelm Reich back in the late 1970s. I am currently doing art therapy which is truly amazing.