Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2019, 10:24 pm

I have a very slow processing speed mentally. I actually think very quickly but when I try to communicate I can’t process the information I’m trying to get across either verbally or online. I’m very slow and I end up stimming a lot in order to speed up my fragmented thought process.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2019, 11:53 pm

One of my problems too. Yet it occurs more than often, yet random.

There were days that no matter how chaotic and stressful the day was, no matter how much I stimmed, what I ate or how well I slept -- didn't had such problems at all. Sometimes this lasts for days straight.
Then it just ends all the sudden, and have the problem all over again. No matter what happens around me or at me.

I'm finding out why...

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2019, 12:03 am

I find that I can learn to do things better, such as walking and improving my balance, if I practice twice a day for several months for just 15 minutes. Once in the morning and again at night, It is really good now that I've been practicing the past few months.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2019, 2:58 am

I experience that when I'm stressed, and in person. Writing is a refuge for me because it's easier than verbalizing.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2019, 9:10 pm

Likewise

The counselor put "motor retardation" on the insurance forms

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2019, 1:44 am

I'm pretty slow at cranking out posts.

JD12345
Toucan
Toucan

04 Feb 2019, 5:10 am

Yes, if there are more than two people (including myself) in a room and one person is asking me a question, then it will be somewhat likely that someone else will answer the question for me before I have time to properly process it.

hmk66
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Feb 2019, 5:17 am

JD12345 wrote:
Yes, if there are more than two people (including myself) in a room and one person is asking me a question, then it will be somewhat likely that someone else will answer the question for me before I have time to properly process it.

This happens to me too. But in this case I think that the other person does not pay attention to the person that asked you a question and you. The person asking you a question may be looking at you and that should be noticed by the third person. The third person also didn't notice that you were preparing to answer: looking back, breathe in to start answering, etc.

Many people don't pay attention to my facial expression or body language and this often goes wrong. I try to find out why this happens to me.

hmk66
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Feb 2019, 5:26 am

A recent psychologist told me that my processing is too slow. He told me: "Autism means slow processing of information. That excludes you from many professions." I wonder whether that is true. My sensitivity to stimulation is often lower than the average sensitivity from NT people.

Slow processing can be a problem when driving a car. When I drive in city (let's say a big city or a metropole) with a lot of traffic, I can't pay attention to other things than traffic. I can't talk to other people in the car, make a handsfree or handheld phone call (handheld phone calls while driving certain vehicles are fined in the Netherlands for that reason). I can talk to other people when driving on a highway. The most attention is required by the traffic and navigation. And there is some "processing power" left (as far as you can compare a human brain with a computer's CPU). In a crowded city there is no "processing power" left, so I can't do anything else.

DemophobicKlingon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Aug 2019, 8:56 am

Yeah, I am pretty slow with processing things people say, and I have to read sentences multiple times in order to take them in. There are times when someone says something, I don't fully comprehend what they say but 30 second later, after I thought about it, I understand the meaning. In familiar territory and topics of interest, I can move quicker, but anxiety just slows me down in general. Stress has weight on how slowly I take something in.

There are times when I don't hear the words clearly until I've really thought about it. It's stressful for me when people throw a lot of unfamiliar information at me at the same time.

INTP 9w1-5w4-2w3 sp/so

Zakatar
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2019, 10:58 am

I am a pretty slow processor in general, unless I'm on autopilot doing something very familiar. I read and talk slowly and got double time on all exams while at university.

People talking very fast are very annoying to me since I have a hard time processing everything they're throwing at me fast enough.

But somehow I'm able to sing and drive safely at the same time and have never gotten into an accident that was my fault.

#palestinianlivesmatter

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2019, 11:07 am

livingwithautism wrote:
I have a very slow processing speed mentally. I actually think very quickly but when I try to communicate I can’t process the information I’m trying to get across either verbally or online. I’m very slow and I end up stimming a lot in order to speed up my fragmented thought process.
I am very glad that you posted this because I find it extremely fascinating and would like to learn more about how it works for you. I process slowly as well, quite slowly actually but when I am verbal I can be either way too fast or way too slow. I have to make very conscious efforts to speak at normal speeds and volumes. Makes speech very exhausting sometimes. When I type, I skip a lot of words or phrases because my thoughts are coming out too fast. I do that in speech too and reading. I can sing very well though and love to sing slow songs.

Wreck It Ralph

goatfish57
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In a village in La Mancha whose name I cannot recall

08 Aug 2019, 11:26 am

I need to watch movies or shows multiple times to understand what is going. The same is true with conversations. I have to rerun them in my mind many times to figure out what was said.

On the other side, when I am writing code, my fingers take over and I am in a zone.

Not Diagnosed and Not Sure

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2019, 11:34 am

goatfish57 wrote:
I need to watch movies or shows multiple times to understand what is going. The same is true with conversations. I have to rerun them in my mind many times to figure out what was said.

On the other side, when I am writing code, my fingers take over and I am in a zone.
That is really interesting how your coding is processed so differently.

Wreck It Ralph

goatfish57
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In a village in La Mancha whose name I cannot recall

08 Aug 2019, 11:39 am

skibum wrote:
goatfish57 wrote:

I can explain, after many thousands of hours of writing code and algorithms, the process becomes automatic and my monkey brain gets very quiet. The same is true with my hobbies or taking notes in college.

People have commented about my facial expressions when I am lost in an algorithm, debugging or banging out code. I look like I am a million miles away. This happens to me at other times as well and gets me into trouble when I get lost in my head when in public.

Not Diagnosed and Not Sure

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2019, 11:44 am

goatfish57 wrote:
skibum wrote:
goatfish57 wrote:

I can explain, after many thousands of hours of writing code and algorithms, the process becomes automatic and my monkey brain gets very quiet. The same is true with my hobbies or taking notes in college.

People have commented about my facial expressions when I am lost in an algorithm, debugging or banging out code. I look like I am a million miles away. This happens to me at other times as well and gets me into trouble when I get lost in my head when in public.
That makes complete sense.

Wreck It Ralph