How would you deal with an attempted mugging?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Weirdness
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 Aug 2019, 2:57 am

Once some couple wanted money, and I simply told them that I only carry cards, so then they wanted me to get money out of an ATM, except it was located near a supermarket, so... I just went inside and talked with security guards. If only all such instances can be averted, unfortunately a couple of psychological approaches (instead of physical as before) succeeded because of their nature of exploiting vulnerable states...

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2019, 6:26 am

Be firm about not giving these people money. Tell them to stay away from you, or else you will call the police.

Or do what you did: walk into a store (that’s probably an even better idea).

Any time people try to force you to take money out of an ATM (or, of course, from your person), it’s attempted robbery, always a serious crime (felony). You can get 7 years in prison for this if no weapon is involved. 25 years if a weapon is involved. In New York State.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2019, 7:11 am

I just tell them the truth. I have been scammed for money several times and have given the money and not realized that I was scammed until it was too late. I have not actually been mugged though. But now, I just tell them the truth. I have no money. I really am that poor.

Wreck It Ralph

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2019, 7:49 am

If a person tries to force someone to withdraw money from an ATM, that’s more than just “begging.” It’s more than “aggressive begging.” It’s robbery.

Don’t tell the person the “truth.” Tell the person to stay away, or else the police will be called. That’s the real “truth.”

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2019, 7:51 am

Good advice. In my area, I am likely to be shot for such a response but it's good advice none the less.

Wreck It Ralph

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2019, 8:00 am

Probably the best advice, especially in the inner city, is to go into a store.

You’re right. If you don’t antagonize the criminal, you’re doing a practical thing.

TheOther
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Aug 2019, 8:40 am

It really depends.

If they are just aggressively asking for money, a firm, "No." is sufficient. I would then walk away, either to my car, or somewhere public like a store or restaurant.

If someone is brandishing a weapon of some sort, it is best to just give them whatever they want (and I say this as a martial artist). A good idea is to find your best escape route, throw your wallet in the opposite direction, and run away when they go for it. Muggers want your wallet and will likely follow it as opposed to you.

A martial arts instructor I knew used to carry around a second, fake wallet with some random plastic cards (the sort of free 'rewards' type cards you can find at most stores), some business cards (not THIER business cards. Obviously nothing with any of your personal information), and 5-10 dollars. If they were to be mugged, they could give mugger the fake wallet and run away without having to replace credit cards, IDs, etc.

Last edited by TheOther on 07 Aug 2019, 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2019, 8:42 am

The last paragraph actually states a very smart idea.

I hear people in pickpocket-prone locations like Italy do this.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2019, 8:45 am

The fake wallet is the best idea and it is very common to do that in countries where pick pocketing is a problem

Wreck It Ralph

goatfish57
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In a village in La Mancha whose name I cannot recall

07 Aug 2019, 8:52 am

I've had few close calls, muggings, armed robbery, assault, ... My approach has always been to be keenly aware of the danger, keeping my focus directly on the person or people approaching me, knowing a good way to escape, .... Each situation is different and requires a good set of rules to follow.

Aggressive panhandling is tough. I shake my head, say no with my hands and try to walk away. Never take out your wallet. I usually keep a few dollars in a front pocket that I can hand over when necessary. But, do not engage, do not make excuses about money, do not lie. Do not insult their intelligence. Just say sorry and try to get away.

Skibum, I keep my wallet well hidden in a safe place. My bottom has been patted numerous times by people looking for a wallet. There are so many good pick pockets. They will get your wallet, watch, .... quickly if it is not hidden behind many zippers and flaps.

Not Diagnosed, but have personality traits that are consistent with being neurodiverse. Confirmation bias may be an issue.