Has your family rejected you because of your autism?

Page 2 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2019, 2:41 pm

Allbymyself wrote:
But I have learned over the years people think because they can you should be able too as well.

To me it seems the opposite: people assume I "wouldn't" be able to do those things, so they give up on me, since I won't be able to learn anyway.

Although its possible that the two things are related in that people "mislabel" what is it I can't do. Like for example, I can't remember names and faces, so I don't recognize people. But people don't know that I have problems with names or faces, so they think I avoid them. And then I say "hey I can learn and be more social" and they are like "oh no no you should stay who you are (and by the way you can't change who you are anyway)" But what they are referring to is probably being cold and unfriendly, since thats what they mislabel me as. But as far as names or faces they probably just assume I remember them and when I say I don't they just think its an excuse.

Irimias
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Aug 2019, 11:22 pm

Yes. Most of them i hardly see. Aunts uncles, cousins nephews, siblings. They don't seem to want anything to do with me.
My parents show dissapproval in more subtle ways. They try to appear interested but they display other behaviours sometimes that suggest they are dissatisfied with my personality.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2019, 12:12 am

No.

Otherwise, I would've ran away and roam the earth alone long ago.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

traven
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2019, 12:57 am

no, because they could gather around the cause of me being rejected

the new foundation & letting things go

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2019, 1:47 am

I was fortunate enough to be born into the right family.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2019, 6:26 am

Allbymyself wrote:
One of things that has big blow to my self esteem is that fact that I had a family I was never good enough for. A mother who always told me if I could act different she would want to be around me. No matter what I have gone threw they have always made clear that they are not there. I remember calling my mother once when I was homeless struggling with mental illness on top of autism and her tell me she cant help me because she doesnt know any thing about that and when I mention at one point she didnt she didnt know how to be a doctor but she learned she responded with I am just not going to help.
I have watched mothers who kids are on death row for sick twisted crimes want more to do with their children than my own mother does because I am different and her response my whole life Is if you can act different I want to be around you. What I really herd is because you are the way are I cant love. This woman would always say she loved but her actions always said get away from me.

This is awful! I'm very sorry to hear you had to go through this!

Were you diagnosed with an autism spectrum disorder as a child, or not until later? Was your mother ever even aware that you have ASD?

Fortunately my parents were much more accepting.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2019, 6:45 am

Allbymyself wrote:
Don't get me started on religion and autism that's a whole other topic. I remember once when I lived in Albuquerque for a couple of months I went to this Baptist Church cuz I really love God and the pastor went out of his way to avoid me whenever I would try to talk to him about anything in my life not just autism his first response to me was always I can't help you I don't know anything about autism and he was not the first one to make me feel like they needed a Masters Degree in Psychology just to say hello to me. It was God awful experience.

I've even called churches where I live trying to find a good church to fit into because I only have been here a short time and I have had pastors on the phone that want to pray away my problems and anoint me with oil trying to heal me in the name of God. I have no problem with that I love God I believe he's capable of healing me but sometimes I believe he doesn't do that because we have our experiences because our experiences make us who we are how can I relate to you guys on this form had I never had the struggles of autism. How can I be empathetic towards mental illness if I never was mentally ill? I don't look at these as bad things. Just look at them as my life the same way people have other issues in their life. Maybe God would remove them but I kind of doubt that because it gives me a purpose and it gives me a path because I can stand up for people that other people would make fun of or run away from.

It's great that you're able to derive a sense of purpose out of all of this!

I'm not Christian, but I'd like to bring to your attention the fact that there are some autistic Christian pastors out there whom you might want to get in touch with. Google "autistic pastor" to find some of them.

Perhaps you and other evangelical Christian autistic people, here on this board and elsewhere, could volunteer to help the afore-mentioned autistic pastors organize some sort of project to try to educate the evangelical Christian churches about autism, and perhaps help them organize and/or publicize support groups for autistic people within the evangelical Christian subculture?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2019, 11:14 pm

I was almost disowned by my mum three years ago in February. My mum couldn't stand the thought of me wearing a self-made German helmet. She thought it was too juvenile for me to do so and I should be just like her. (Gag). She asked if we shouldn't be a family and I told her I thought that was a great idea. We've sorted things out since than. I do admit that I still wear the helmet at least once a week, twice at the most. I'm trans and the helmet is a marker that I am.

drlaugh
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2019, 11:46 pm

Not at all now.
In the 50’s they weren’t so sure.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2019, 12:12 am

My mother and I both had/have AS, and the family kind of dissolved, rejecting us, and then the NT pair lost one to death. I never bonded with either parent, or expected help.

drlaugh
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2019, 5:25 pm

I had one relative that did not reject me. He rejected my diagnosis. A few months ago we had lunch and he told me he got it. 8)

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2019, 5:33 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I rejected some of my family because of my autism.

Me, too.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2019, 6:07 pm

Before I learned about AS, I went to many meetings for various dysfunctional family situations, and have heard of many internal feuds for a huge variety of reasons. Autism is not a particularly big hazard to family relations. I hear of support as well as rejection here. However, there's not much of a fitness test for parents, and some just can't cope with anything unexpected.

starcats
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2019, 6:48 pm

My dad rejected me because of how I am, he doesn't know it's autism.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2019, 6:53 am

I have seen parents who gave their kids the exact opposite of what they needed at various stages of their lives. They virtually ignore the child when he or she is younger, and then become helicopter parents at an age when the child should be developing more independence.

caThar4G
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2019, 11:05 am

My parents didn't tell me what they thought.
My younger sister thought I made it up.
My brother thought I used it as a crutch without even getting to know me more.
My family likes to be a**es by assuming things.
My sister in law is all over the place.
My big sister just thinks I'm different.
My uncle used me.

My mom thinks somehow it's all her fault. My dad is very prideful. He doesn't understand people w disabilities.

My mom sees autism as a bad thing.

She thinks that God can help.

But, she also thinks that I have an
oppressive demon...