Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2019, 8:54 am

auntblabby wrote:
taking those piles of money and fixing the social problems with it.

What social problems, and how could they be solved by just throwing money at them?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for charity, and already give $200 or so a month to various charitable causes, but I don't think it's the only solution, and I don't think the rich exist for the sake of the poor, any more than the converse is or should be the case.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2019, 8:59 am

if every rich and famous person, individually, would give up one year's worth of their fortune, to help the less fortunate in their city, even if they live in the king parts of the city, it would do a LOT to fix what is ailing this nation. alternately, if the financially talented wheelers and dealers on wall street would accept a 1% transaction tax on everything they do, likewise.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2019, 9:08 am

Another thing I like about Istomin, and Nadal as well, is that they work to help make their part of the world better. Denis Istomin is already mentoring young tennis players in Uzbekistan and Rafael Nadal helps kids with disabilities through Best Buddies in Spain.

goatfish57
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In a village in La Mancha whose name I cannot recall

11 Aug 2019, 9:21 am

Prometheus18 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Wealth, Popularity, Dates, Celebrity Perks and Privileges, Vacations away from home, More eclectic choices of friends, Better food, clothing, accommodations, Better medical care, Ownership of corporations, AAA-rated stock portfolios, Other people's jealousy...

Need I go on?

Agreed, other than the popularity, dates and jealousy; I'd hate those three things. What could be better than piles of money though?

The age old question

Not Diagnosed, but have personality traits that are consistent with being neurodiverse. Confirmation bias may be an issue.

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2019, 9:25 am

auntblabby wrote:
if every rich and famous person, individually, would give up one year's worth of their fortune, to help the less fortunate in their city, even if they live in the king parts of the city, it would do a LOT to fix what is ailing this nation. alternately, if the financially talented wheelers and dealers on wall street would accept a 1% transaction tax on everything they do, likewise.

America's problems seem to me to be more cultural than economic. After all, even the poorest people in America now can afford smartphones, laptops and other things that Croesus would have killed a million men for.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2019, 10:57 am

Prometheus18 wrote:
America's problems seem to me to be more cultural than economic. After all, even the poorest people in America now can afford smartphones, laptops and other things that Croesus would have killed a million men for.
I see homeless people in Los Angeles and Orange counties with smartphones, new shoes, and new clothes living in tents that cost hundreds of dollars. They look well-fed, also.

I would rather be wealthy and famous than homeless and forgotten ... again.

Borromeo
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2019, 10:20 pm

Prometheus18 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Am an American. It's the culture. I've gone through the poorest neighborhoods of this town I live in (it was once quite poor) and there were demolished flat-screen televisions doubled up in the yard.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2019, 3:34 am

Prometheus18 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

i for one, can NOT afford a smartphone nor the overpriced service for one.

Cavycat
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Aug 2019, 7:27 pm

The person must be extremely extroverted and crave the social attention. You have to be a very special kind of person to handle all of that. An introvert would just start a tech company if all they wanted was the wealth and what comes with it.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2019, 7:33 pm

I don't understand it either.

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2019, 7:42 pm

Nope, I love obscurity.