Has Faceblindness Ever Got You Into Embarissing Moments?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2019, 4:27 pm

I have had one or two, but what about you guys? Do any of you have faceblindness? Half you walked up to someone thinking they were your Mum or Dad or even your lover?

TimS1980
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Aug 2019, 6:07 pm

After my wife was overseas for 6 months, I was seriously afraid of failing to pick her out among the other Chinese faces at the airport arrivals lounge.

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2019, 6:18 pm

At the shop where I work: "you must be Mrs. X from last week" - "No, I'm Mrs. Y". Embarrassing, especially when they're both good looking (for their age), as they were in this case.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2019, 6:39 pm

More like face-amnesia or mis-recognition in my case.

Plenty of times now. :lol:
But this almost never happened towards my loved ones and childhood friends and acquaintances, only towards more recent years of encounters.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2019, 6:40 pm

I got myself in trouble once. You know when you don't look at people much as you are not one for making eye contact... Well, I was working a train and I suggested about a senior railcard to one lady so she could have some discount, and I suggested it to her friend as well who happened to be her daughter who was 43. They didn't look any different to me as they had the same hairstyles etc., as I juat don't look at faces.
As a child I often went to hold the hand of someone I thought was my Mum to find it was someone else.
My Mum saw her boyfriend (My Dad) and kissed him, only to find to her horror that it wasn't him.
I gave the wrong homework to the wrong lecturers when in college as I could not tell them apart.
My first date never happened as I didn't recognise her.
I walked past my Mum and my youngest brother when I didn't recognise them.
My Mum didn't recognise her mother who was walking up thw garden path.
I ignored my cousin while working a train as I didn't know it was her despite her saying my name.
I got into trouble with both my aunts from either side of the family for not recognising them (On seperate occasions).
Someone said "Hello" to me while I was out on a lunchbreak. I asked who he was. He said "I work with you. I was with you 20 minutes ago!"
Many, many incidents like this with both me and my mother.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2019, 7:39 pm

Sometimes I confuse faces

But precious lil "people" confuse me with someone else, way more often

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2019, 7:51 pm

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
Sometimes I confuse faces

But precious lil "people" confuse me with someone else, way more often

Confuse you for someone else? Umm. Maybe you look like someone famous?

darkwaver
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Aug 2019, 8:21 pm

Many, many times. The only funny one was once I was in a store and saw an older woman approaching me, but it wasn't till she spoke that I realized she was my mom.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2019, 2:57 am

I remember one beautiful young lady who I used to meet on the train. We had some nice conversations. I only could really tell 100% it was her by her accent. She has a very English accent which is unusual for Wales. I used to drop her off at a place called Llandeilo or occasionally the next stop along.
The last time I remember tha I saw her she said "I have the whole summer free and I don't know where to go". So I gave her two train timetables and suggested some areas... Well, I just don't get hints. I didn't know that it was her way of asking me out! It was only later when I happened to mention it to my mother as when I gave the timetables, she seemed dissapointed rather then happy. Well. My Mum was quick to say "Didn't you ask her out?" I said "No".
Well, I like going to Llandeilo and many times go, but unless I try speaking to everyone there so they speak back, I don't have a clue which one is her or if she is there or not. And as I'm a bit shy, speaking to people like tha is not easy. It used to be easy on the train as I was able to do it there as I was masking.

dyadiccounterpoint
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Aug 2019, 11:51 am

Confusing people can certainly be embarrassing, but the worst is when I can't remember people that I ought to know. It gives a bad impression when I do not intend to.

We seldom realize, for example, that our most private thoughts and emotions are not actually our own. For we think in terms of languages and images which we did not invent, but which were given to us by our society - Alan Watts