I Might Have Aspergers and Want Help Regarding That

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

kiwibird
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

27 Aug 2019, 4:42 pm

Hello!
After extensive research and test taking, I think that I may have Aspergers. I am a teenage female. Below is a list of why I may or may not have it. Any help is appreciated, and thanks for taking your time to read this. :D

Why I might be:
This guy was sunburned, and he was calling himself a lobster. I held back the urge to discuss blue colored lobsters.
I have always felt different, and I have even considered trying to be “normal” for a day.
I only have one really good best friend, but I have a lot of acquaintances.
My best friend was telling me one of her problems, and she got upset when I offered different possible solutions.
I write poetry.
I love animals, which is why I am vegan.
I am very empathetic.
I remember when I was little, I was either watching the show or reading a Berenstain Bears book, and in it, the cubs broke the mom’s lamp. I remember feeling really bad and upset for her.
My hair is always a mess.
I am most certainly gender nonconforming as I wear guys’ clothes.
I like to have deeper conversations versus small talk and what peers my age discuss.
I was late to talk, but I could understand words, I just did not want to talk.
As a baby, I seldom cried, even when away from my mother.
I would definitely not be considered normal.
I cannot read people’s emotions well, except when it is obvious.
I have always been unable to tell if I am annoying someone, which others tell me I do frequently.
I have had different topic of interest over the years, the most recent being kiwi birds.
I would still consider myself well rounded, though.
I cannot easily tell if someone does not like me.
For eye contact, I usually either look elsewhere, or stare at their eyes and look away when they do.
Sometimes I will say facts that others do not appreciate.
Friends and family are able to pick me out from a crowd because of my gait.
I loathe grammar mistakes.
I have a very high IQ.
I get anxiety at large events, such as concerts or parties.
My stomach will hurt and not feel better until I get home.
I never realized what it was before I started researching this subject, but if I am overthinking things in my bed, I will sort of curl up on my knees and rock.
I also play with my hands a lot.
I write poetry.
I have a differentiated taste of music compared to my peers.
I use vocabulary words that my peers do not always understand.
I will talk loudly and not realize it until someone else points out it.
I get annoyed with grammatical errors.
Most of the time I do not think that others understand me.
Emotions, in my book, are less important than facts most of the time.
I like to pick at stuff.
I am not concerned with being popular.
In grade school, after watching a movie, when the teacher would turn on the lights, my eyes would be unaffected.
I love to learn things.
I have trouble doing “normal” things, such as brushing teeth, on a daily basis.
I like being solitary.
I would usually rather work alone than in a group.
I know a lot of things about a lot of things.
I like to know why something is before I do it besides “I said so”.
I also like to have debates/discussions
I usually say “hopefully” along with “see you later” just in case.
I am open to debate/discussion about my beliefs.
I unknowingly emulate others.
I have been complimented on the “cool facts” I like to tell others.
I have tinnitus.
When somebody tells a story, I usually say a similar experience that I had. I heard that you are not supposed to do this. Are you?
When I was younger, and sometimes even now, I would keep adopting a habit of making small noises in my throat that I would then end, the habits, with my mom’s encouragement.
In one of my classes with almost all seniors(when I was a sophomore), I always had trouble talking and pairing up with groups because I do not know any of them well. I can do that stuff fine in classes with people with whom I am more familiar.
I guess that I can overshare, as evidenced by this.
Sometimes I will always talk about something. In 8th grade, I really loved the song Orange Crush by REM. I still do like it, but I would talk about it nearly every day, especially in art class.
People think that I get easily distracted. Because of this, they think that I will be a bad driver.
The one person that I thought was really like me also has Asperger’s. I felt “connected” before I knew this.
Pretty much every guy that I have dated was crazy or had a lot of problems.
I have some OCD tendencies.
I have adopted this thing where I “have” to take an even number of steps in a certain section, and I like to start with one foot and end with the other.
I like to blink an even number of times.
I have been called, and I quote, an “anal rule follower.”

Why I might not be:
I am able to talk to others and get along on a day to day basis.
I am not sure if I have ever had a “melt down.”
I can read facial expressions somewhat well sometimes.
I can understand most idioms and expressions.
I have lied.
I like a lot of different foods.
I like to talk a lot.
I make a lot of bad puns.
I do not have a lot of problems with the five senses. I attended a concert recently, and I was fine wearing earplugs. This is something that seems a lot less severe in me than other people with Aspergers, but loud noises hurt my ears.
I have been told that I am good with young and special needs children.
I only say this because of social skills needed.

Maybe?
I am kind of a hypochondriac.
When I was little, I would inspect almost all of my food before eating it.

Thanks again! :D

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2019, 4:47 pm

Who knows?

But what you wrote doesn't yell out "autism" or "Aspergers" to me. It's more like you're a somewhat quirky 16-year-old.

Obviously, this is an opinion based on very little information. And I don't know you at all

If you want to find out, try to get an assessment.

Even if you do get assessed, and it turns out you're not autistic or Aspergian, you're still welcome on WrongPlanet.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2019, 4:52 pm

...Hm :| .

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

kiwibird
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

27 Aug 2019, 4:55 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Who knows?

But what you wrote doesn't yell out "autism" or "Aspergers" to me. It's more like you're a somewhat quirky 16-year-old.

Obviously, this is an opinion based on very little information. And I don't know you at all

If you want to find out, try to get an assessment.

Even if you do get assessed, and it turns out you're not autistic or Aspergian, you're still welcome on WrongPlanet.

Thanks, I may decide to try to get an assessment one day, which is something I want, but not currently available to me.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2019, 5:02 pm

What does the school think?

Are you in some sort of "special" program?

kiwibird
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

27 Aug 2019, 5:07 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
What does the school think?

Are you in some sort of "special" program?

My school is not aware of any of this. However, I am in the gifted program and have a GIEP.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2019, 5:11 pm

Maybe you're just very intelligent.

Very intelligent people tend to seem quirky, nerdy, eccentric, etc. to "average" people.

How has your adjustment been in school up to now? Do you have many friends? Do you get along with your teachers? Do you disrupt classes?

In the majority of cases, people who are autistic/Aspergers have difficulty adjusting in school. And make very few friends. And are bullied.

kiwibird
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

27 Aug 2019, 5:21 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Maybe you're just very intelligent.

Very intelligent people tend to seem quirky, nerdy, eccentric, etc. to "average" people.

How has your adjustment been in school up to now? Do you have many friends? Do you get along with your teachers? Do you disrupt classes?

I think I am adjusted okay, but that is probably mostly because I am oblivious. My parents have told me that I do not always pick up on social cues or read between the lines to tell if someone is being harmful.
I am quite sociable, but I only have a few good friends and one really really good friend. One of my good friends is an autistic male, and before I even started research, I thought that I was very similar and could connect better with him compared to other peers.

I usually get along with my teachers. However, I did get yelled at after pointing out a mistake in a teacher's work. I could not tell he was getting upset when I was telling him. Sometimes I get annoyed with teachers, but overall, it seems as if we mutually like each other.

I used to disrupt classes in elementary school, but not so much now. In 2nd grade, as an example, I sat in the front of the room and my really good friend sat in the back. I would apparently talk to her during class. Sometimes I will try to make a funny remark quietly, but nobody responds and it is awkward.

Something else to mention, two things actually, is that I did not recognize a girl I met twice until she said something specific to her. I also had about twenty people from school come to my birthday party. It was fun, but most of them have never invited me somewhere outside of school.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2019, 5:31 pm

Read up on something called "Broad Autism Phenotype." Perhaps this could apply to you?

I'm not saying you're "not" autistic or Aspergian. But you don't strike me as being autistic or Aspergian----based on what you've written so far.

kiwibird
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

27 Aug 2019, 5:35 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Read up on something called "Broad Autism Phenotype." Perhaps this could apply to you?

I'm not saying you're "not" autistic or Aspergian. But you don't strike me as being autistic or Aspergian----based on what you've written so far.

Alright, thanks. I looked up Broad Autism Phenotype and I think it may apply to me. Feel free to ask me more questions if you would like.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2019, 5:50 pm

Do you have difficulties of a sensory nature? Are you very sensitive to florescent lights; it seems as if many autistic people are sensitive to florescent lights.

I'm not one of them, though.

I was classically autistic as a young child. Then became Aspergers-like later.

kiwibird
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

27 Aug 2019, 5:55 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Do you have difficulties of a sensory nature? Are you very sensitive to florescent lights; it seems as if many autistic people are sensitive to florescent lights.

I'm not one of them, though.

I was classically autistic as a young child. Then became Aspergers-like later.

I do not have many sensory problems. Sometimes noises are distracting and hurt my ears. Also, I hate tight fitting clothing. I also dislike very much lights that flicker.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2019, 6:00 pm

I don't like tight-fitting clothing, either. And I dislike flickering lights. And loud noises could distract me. I don't like anything loud.

I've known some very non-autistic people who disliked all those things.

I guess the school would have to make a referral in order for you to get assessed. They don't seem to feel you have Asperger's/autism.

Have you ever been diagnosed with any sort of psychological/neurological disorder?

kiwibird
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

27 Aug 2019, 6:07 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I don't like tight-fitting clothing, either. And I dislike flickering lights. And loud noises could distract me. I don't like anything loud.

I've known some very non-autistic people who disliked all those things.

I guess the school would have to make a referral in order for you to get assessed. They don't seem to feel you have Asperger's/autism.

Have you ever been diagnosed with any sort of psychological/neurological disorder?

Yeah, I do not think I will tell the school because my parents would not want me to do so.
Do you know of anyone else online it may be helpful to contact?
I have not been diagnosed with anything like that, but I do get physically sick from anxiety sometimes.

A specific example of noise actually relates to school. There is a beeping noise every .5 seconds or so for one reason or another. At least half of my trip is spent focusing on it because it is so distracting. Probably a lot more than half, actually.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2019, 6:09 pm

I sense that there will be people responding here who would be able to help you better than I've helped you so far.

kiwibird
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

27 Aug 2019, 6:14 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I sense that there will be people responding here who would be able to help you better than I've helped you so far.

Alright, I will keep my eye out for them, thank you.

Something else to add is that since I am female, that may be why my school has not done anything.

Also, I do not know if this makes a difference, but I used to have emetephobia where I would constantly obsess about getting sick and throwing up.