Do you have family photos on display in your home?

Page 3 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Dial1194
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Aug 2019, 4:32 pm

Nope. I'm not people-oriented or photo-oriented.

I suspect that in TV/movies it's a visual shortcut to say "This character has (or had) a family; they're a family type of person and have strong connections to these other people." It also helps give the perception that this character is connected to other people, maybe their community, etc; they don't exist in isolation. (And also that, in theory, there is a community/network/family of other characters just offstage.)

More extreme variants are the "carry my family's photo in my wallet" type, and the "take a small framed photo of my family with me if I stay in a hotel" type. It reinforces that gosh darn, this character is REALLY strongly linked to their family; it's really important to them.

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2019, 4:50 pm

Interesting that this thread comes up now- I recently printed a photo to put in a frame as a gift to my parents for their anniversary. The photo was of my mom and dad standing together. The first picture I printed came out really small for some reason and so I reprinted it and gave the second one to them in the frame. When cleaning up I saw the left-over little picture of my Mom and Dad, and I realized that it was the only one I really had of just them two together. I stuck it on the dashboard of my car and it's been living there for about a week or two now. I kind of like it. They are cute and funny and old now.